Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Blurred focus on D7000

Hi, first of all I am a new user to Shutter Talk.
I would like some opinions on my issue, I bought a D7000 and after a short period had to get it repaired as the Err was flashing and looking through the lens it was dark and the camera would not access live view. To cut a long story short, the camera was sent away and then sent back stating that the aperture control assemble was broken and that it had been repaired. It didnt even manage to shoot off three pics and I got the same again. i sent it back and after a long wait the camera was sent to Nikon and they diagnosed and repaired the complete shutter mechanism as this apparently is a common fault " Happy Days".
I am relatively new to Digital SLR's and as such open to constructive criticism in buckets should this be required. I am struggling to take picture with flash that are not blurred, this is particularly so when using the auto shutter release and remote control. I have put the view finder cover on as I thought this may have been causing me some issues but I am still not happy with the results as part of the photo are in focus and others not. I appreciate that this could be an auto focus issue and I would normally set the lens on my analogue camera to infinity to ensure that I capture all of the shot in focus. It is frustrating me as I love the camera but with the issues I have had, I feel that I should be able to shoot away with confidence with the Camera spec that it has and not be worrying about the shots. i have a dedicated flash and have tried with this also. Any help would be great as I feel like selling it diue to lack of confidence AngryHuhDodgyRolleyes

It would help to know the settings used that result in the blurry images, also so example pictures. The causes could be many things and additional data would narrow it down.

Welcome to ShutterTalk.

Hello... there are some known issues with the D7000 phase detection AF sensor... read this article and maybe that might help? https://photographylife.com/how-to-quick...cus-issues You could try the same shots with different lenses to isolate the issue as being lens or body... are you using first or second sync? is the lens AF and is it switched on? The aperture you are using will influence the DoF and that may be perceived as a focus issue

Does the camera AF normally when used without flash? Are you using the flash in a fairly dark space and if so, have you enabled flash assist for the AF? Can you using AF focus on the subject first.... or does the lens "hunt" for focus? Try a light source and see if the lens will focus... if it will then set focus and then lock focus and reset the scene. If you are using an extender with a slow lens, and the best aperture you can get is less than f8 that aperture may be too small with insufficient available light for the AF sensor to make a determination and set focus.... Have you tried to manually focus on your subject and take the shot... is it better or the same? There are so many variables to work through if it is a user interface issue... are you exceeding the max shutter speed for flash sync...of course, you could be the unfortunate owner of a lemon too...

If you do return the camera, be sure to tell your dealer the issue and the lens and the circumstances current when the issue is present so that can go back with the camera...

Good luck and let us know how you get on?

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Mar 11, 2015, 12:13)Rolf Wrote:  Hello... there are some known issues with the D7000 phase detection AF sensor... read this article and maybe that might help? https://photographylife.com/how-to-quick...cus-issues You could try the same shots with different lenses to isolate the issue as being lens or body... are you using first or second sync? is the lens AF and is it switched on? The aperture you are using will influence the DoF and that may be perceived as a focus issue

Does the camera AF normally when used without flash? Are you using the flash in a fairly dark space and if so, have you enabled flash assist for the AF? Can you using AF focus on the subject first.... or does the lens "hunt" for focus? Try a light source and see if the lens will focus... if it will then set focus and then lock focus and reset the scene. If you are using an extender with a slow lens, and the best aperture you can get is less than f8 that aperture may be too small with insufficient available light for the AF sensor to make a determination and set focus.... Have you tried to manually focus on your subject and take the shot... is it better or the same? There are so many variables to work through if it is a user interface issue... are you exceeding the max shutter speed for flash sync...of course, you could be the unfortunate owner of a lemon too...

If you do return the camera, be sure to tell your dealer the issue and the lens and the circumstances current when the issue is present so that can go back with the camera...

Good luck and let us know how you get on?

Kind regards

Rolf

That is great guys, it gives me something to look at. I now realise how little I really do know!! I will try and make some sense out of the article and try different things. Then I will update and let you know.

Hello and welcome to the photography forums! Nice to have you here on site with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Mar 11, 2015, 15:32)kamifa Wrote:  That is great guys, it gives me something to look at. I now realise how little I really do know!! I will try and make some sense out of the article and try different things. Then I will update and let you know.
Hi Kamifa,

I have a D7100 which is very similar to yours. Here is a list of possible issues with Auto Focus:

1. You are using a non-Nikkor lens that may not communicate with the camera. This can occur especially if the lens does not have its own AF motor.
2. You may be using an older D lens rather than an AF-S lens.

In both those cases my camera has a spot to add what is called by Nikon a 'non CPU lens-go to Menu/Setup Menu/Non CPU Lens Data and add the lens information it asks.
See if yours has the same option.

3. Similar issues can also occur with a non Nikon Dedicated Flash Unit especially some of the cheap alternatives.

I would look for a used SB700 or higher. I was able to pick a SB700 up for $200.

In many ways it has similar options to the Pro SB910 at 1/3 of the price.
For one thing, SB600 and lower cannot use Command Mode. The 700 is the first to have that option.

Have you tried changing the flash unit to non TTL and manually focus?

My 2cents.Smile

(Mar 11, 2015, 15:32)kamifa Wrote:  That is great guys, it gives me something to look at. I now realise how little I really do know!! I will try and make some sense out of the article and try different things. Then I will update and let you know.
PS:

I forgot one other issue that may occur if you are new to DSLR cameras.

Whether you are using a prime lens or zoom, you should not try to take a hand held shot when the shutter speed is too slow.

The rule of thumb is the shutter speed should be at least as fast as the focal length.

Using a 24-70 AF or AF-S zoom @ 50MM, the shutter speed should not be lower than 1/80 (or 1/50 at the very least).

A longer exposure will cause blurry shots. Up the ISO if you have to get to a faster shutter speed.

That is also where a good tripod comes into play.

One trick with that camera that you can use:

Once you think that you have the best auto focus that you can get, go to the left side of the camera and move the little switch (on the camera body) from AF to M.

That will ensure that the focus stays there in case you move the camera a bit to one side or use the camera settings to move the subject to one side.

It will stay there until you AF again or manually focus the lens.

Nothing will help a shaky hand except proper holding of the camera body or a tripod.

Try viewing this YouTube video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2b62BJIw5c

He's a bit long winded but illustrates the point well.

Smile

PS: This guy is much better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bn8jqUWNwo

BTW,

When I started on this new hobby of mine about a year ago, I searched all over for the best tuts for the D7100.

There are some on YouTube and other photo sites ( I belong to about a dozen now) bu the two best investments I have made are:

Ebook-Nikon D7100-From Snapshots to Great Shots=$10

By John BatDorff

It's not exactly the same as the D7000 but very similar.

Elements of Photography by Arkenstone Technologies=$3.50

It is an App at the Google Play Store which I put onto my tablet. The best $3.50 I have spent in years.

You will spend 10 Times or more on a Photography course and learn very little more.

My 2cents

(Mar 31, 2015, 23:27)Pegger3D Wrote:  

BTW,

When I started on this new hobby of mine about a year ago, I searched all over for the best tuts for the D7100.

There are some on YouTube and other photo sites ( I belong to about a dozen now) bu the two best investments I have made are:

By John BatDorff

It is an App at the Google Play Store which I put onto my tablet. The best $3.50 I have spent in years.

You will spend 10 Times or more on a Photography course and learn very little more.

My 2cents
PPS:

This is an excellent site to learn the many possible focus issues...

http://photofonz.com/4-steps-to-sharper-...ful-photos

Shy

(Apr 6, 2015, 11:39)Pegger3D Wrote:  
(Mar 31, 2015, 23:27)Pegger3D Wrote:  

BTW,

By John BatDorff

My 2cents
PPS:

This is an excellent site to learn the many possible focus issues...

http://photofonz.com/4-steps-to-sharper-...ful-photos

Shy
FYI:

Most major camera companies have at one time or another admitted that there can be focus issues with their cameras/lenses.

This is mainly due to the proliferation of gear that is on the market.

On the D7000, you can go to Menu/Setup Menu/Auto Focus Fine Tune.

So, how do you find out the value you should use?

THIS site has a free calibration chart and instructions.

Create a value for each of the lenses that you use.

Far better than paying a camera shop to do it.

Make sure you read the comments at the very bottom for a few valuable links sent in by other readers.Big Grin