Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Blurry background

Can anyone enlighten me on how to take those photos where your target is in focus, but your background is blurry?

Any examples to show?

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Check out http://www.fodors.com/focus/focresults.cfm?aid=74

I use this tip when I first started taking photos. Have a recent photo I took of a lion in captivity. The wire is in focus, and the lion is softly blurred in the background. Sorry, can't seem to figured out how to post photo... so can only describe.

Hmmm don't quite understand some of the terminology they're talking about, and it sounds like its only possible with an SLR, and not my little S300?

Ooops sorry, thought you have a slr. Not familiar with how to do it on your camera... sorry...

I'm not completely sure on this subject, but I think that it's got something to do with the depth of field.
Have a larger aperture, so that it's shallow and only the thing you are focusing on will be focussed and the rest will be blur - otherwise do a photoshop job. hehe

Thanks for the link lemangoholic Smile

Here's another one explaining bokeh - it's quite technical Smile

Luminous Landscape: Bokeh

Hey axeman, you should be able to achieve the effect on your S30 - you can set the aperture manually.

I think on the command dial, switch it to Av (Aperture priority). Then select the lowest value possible. It's usually something like 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, or 5.6 etc.

An addition, it helps if you place the subject closer to the camera and focus on it.

Conversely, if you want to get everything in focus, set this number as high as possible.

Ah cool! I'll try that ST. Thanks!

(Jul 1, 2004, 21:25)lemangoholic Wrote:  Check out http://www.fodors.com/focus/focresults.cfm?aid=74

I use this tip when I first started taking photos. Have a recent photo I took of a lion in captivity. The wire is in focus, and the lion is softly blurred in the background. Sorry, can't seem to figured out how to post photo... so can only describe.

Your given URL is not related to the question.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Quornish Colin
May 27, 2015, 11:24