Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Budgeted Lighting Options

I was looking at a website earlier that discussed how to use certain tools around if you do not have the extra $$ to buy the more glitzy lighting systems. He wrote, however, that he was not a professional photographer and so I wasn't sure about all his ideas. Let me know what you think about these tools he mentioned-
>floodlights with white posters or a white sheet in the background
>tungsten Halogen Double-ended lamps 240 Volts (to replace the yellow-lighting of the floodlights)...now that's what he wrote but I'm not sure if you can even do that with floodlights.
>sun reflectors (normally for cars)
Also, are there any other types of tools to use if those tools mentioned above don't work that aren't so expensive?

Coffeeconsumer, from my low-budget experience (and I have more than a little) it's best to keep such things in perspective, especially in how they pertain to you and your goals and expectations.

Yes, you can save a lot of money by putting together a lighting system using equipment from the hardware store.
But they won't produce instant results, even if you copy the placement of a pro's setup.

Professional lights cost a lot, and the reason the companies that make them stay in business is because they do the job right, so pros are more than willing to pay for them.
When you're just starting out, taking shortcuts is fine and you can learn a lot in the process.

Your best bet is to learn about color temperature and white balance, then do your own experiments based on the type of photography that interests you.
All budget lighting solutions involve compromises that you may or may not be willing or able to deal with.

I often shoot macro photos at night using LED light sources.
What works for me would be a disaster for other people.

Keep asking questions and we'll be glad to help.

Yah, I kind of figured there'd be a compromise to what type of stuff I'm using for lighting, but like you said, it's good trying to experiment sometimes even if it doesn't produce the best results. I'll get some books on that temperature lighting stuff...
Thanks for your imput.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

You've probably read our article written by Kombisaurus already, but if you haven't, here are more ideas:
http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/diylighting/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Wall-E
Sep 23, 2013, 11:50