Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bye Bye Buzz

Well, its happened at last. My beloved Buzz Pro plugin has finally stopped being upgradeable. I moved this plugin (which I have used a lot) through 3 versions of Windows and 3 versions of PhotoShop. On the last upgrade to Vista 64 with PhotosShop CS, the license no longer functioned - but strangely didn't stop the plugin from working. After installing PhotoShop CS5 (64 bit) on 64 bit Vista - Buzz is no longer recognized within PhotoShop. Uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't help.

I got a lot of years of use out of this plugin - and the company that made it is long gone - but I still wish it would keep working. I have the Topaz Simplifier which is slick but not as user friendly as Buzz.

Anybody got any ideas how to make it work? I have tried all the usual things - putting the plugin in the 64 bit and 32 bit folders etc. etc. to no avail.

I worked with Buzz time ago, and it is a very good plug in, my only problem was that it didn't handle well large files. That is why now I am happy with topaz simplify. It is not the same but I can get a nice effect too.

I have tried to find some info about your question, and I didn't get any useful information. Sorry...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks anyway Irma - I suspect that this very old plugin (circa 2000) does not support 64 bit. That's life - I have used it so often that it is probably time to move on anyway.

As far as I know, the 64-bit version of Photoshop only works with 64-bit plugins! This is a big disadvantage.
To counter this in CS4, when you install the 64-bit version of Photoshop you can also install the 32-bit version along side it, and your 32-bit plugins should still work when you run the 32-bit version of Photoshop. I imagine the same would be true for CS5. So you should still be able to use your plugins, but you might need to re-run the Photoshop installation and ensure you also install the 32-bit version of Photoshop.

This has been a pain for me, as I have a number of 32-bit plugins that I use for Photoshop CS4. When I launch Photoshop I have to choose whether I want the benefits of 64-bit or the features of my 32-bit plugins, and launch the appropriate version.
Incidently, by default, if you "Export to Photoshop" from Lightroom then it will start up the 64-bit version of Photoshop, but if you already have Photoshop open (either 64-bit or 32-bit) then it will use whatever you have open. So if you want Lightroom to export to 32-bit Photoshop then you need to manually launch 32-bit Photoshop before you Export from Lightroom.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks Kombi. I suspect that if I really need to use one of my 32 bit plugins - I will simply invoke my still installed copy of PhotoShop CS for that piece of the treatment. Its a pain - but is a valid workaround...