Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A new flash for my Canon t3i

I received a Canon EOS Rebel t3i last Christmas and have used the built-in flash exclusively, but would like to add an external flash.

The Canon Speedlites (especially the 430EX II) are very tempting, however, they do not fit the budget at the moment. While searching the web for similar models I have found several types (e.g. Bower, Neewer, Altura, etc.). I want to find something that will allow me to operate it remotely should I wish to place it elsewhere for various lighting options (and have it compatible with the Canon Speedlites should I acquire one later).

Has anyone found a less expensive and effective alternative that would suffice for the time being? There are just too many options out there and I have had no experience with all of the brands mentioned.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck

Rule of thumb, count the contacts on the camera hot shoe, don't buy one that has less contacts on the shoe base. Ed.

To each his own!

(Dec 5, 2014, 15:26)EdMak Wrote:  Rule of thumb, count the contacts on the camera hot shoe, don't buy one that has less contacts on the shoe base. Ed.

Thanks, Ed. I wouldn't have thought of that point.

Chuck

hi Chuck,

Having gone your route already, there are a few things to consider when buying a separate flash:

for ease of use make sure it is TTL (through the lens metering) for your camera. This means it must be a Canon OEM flash or one dedicated to Canon (Ed makes the point about the number of pins and the position of them.) Canon OEM guaranteed to work, user documentation will precisely match, and on-camera settings will display and work correctly as per documentation. Non-Canon for a given spec will invariably be cheaper, (often of equal or better quality) but you may need to experiment with setting to get it to work correctly.

For off-camera you have 3 options:
- A dedicated wireless flash with canon compatible off-camera wireless (ie a Canon OEM flash or some some non-OEM (such as the Metz range (eg 52AF)
- a Canon compatible extension cable (limits distance but works 'cos it just extends the pins from the camera to the end of the wire)
- compatible wireless flash triggers which support TTL such as the Yongnuo 622C and/or 622C-TX

Other things to consider are power of flash you want where higher guide number = more powerful = longer range = heavier = more bulky.

Does the flash have zoom function so the flash senses the zoom setting of the camera and adjusts its zoom to match? This is a useful function of you use a lens in the 18-105 range as the flash is maximised for zoom and range. (also note that flashes with zoom often quote a guide number at maximum zoom range and it will be less with low zoom (as the light is spread wider to include all the field of view.)

Finally if you buy used, make sure you test it with your camera. Dunno about others but Canon change the flash interface of their cameras periodically (eg I had a flash that worked just fine with a 7D but didn't with a 6D.) A quick test should show. Without wading though all the docs, set camera to shutter priority , 1/125s, ISO 400 or 800, and TTL and take a few frames from 2 to 10 metres or so. If burnt out within that then TTL is probably not working correctly or is incorrectly set somewhere. If most of the exposures look ok, but at the long range it gets darker then you are getting to the limits of the flash performance. I
f you get something strange such as 1/2 exposed and 1/2 black its typically a shutter sync problem (so you'll have to read the manual!)

After all the messing about what did I end up with after lots of testing: A chunky but reasonably powerful Metz 52AF, and for high portability a Sunpak RD2000 which easily fits in the pocket. Both are TTL but only the Metz has auto zoom and is wireless off-camera. The metz has lots of functions and needed a bit of practise to get consistent results. The Sunpak has 3 buttons (on/off, test, and another for changing the power - easy to use. If I'd bought that first I would probably got the Metz 44AF (although I don't know if it is auto off-camera but see next..)

I've since started to experiment with 2 flashes off camera and got the Yongnuo 622C-TX and two 622C (although the Metz doesn't need it is just too convenient to use the same setting up no matter what the flash is.)

I hope it helps but think I may have added more smoke than light!

and finally, if you are using for portraits, see if it has a rotate function for boucning the light of a ceiling and/or a clip on diffuser (check ebay.) As a flash beginner I found that both options helped greatly to avoid the 'caught in the headlights' harsh direct flash light Smile

Hi Chuck

Not sure what your budget is but have a look at this link... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/80...mount.html Perhaps it is within your range? There are a few other options in the same section that may work for you too. You can always call them - they are very helpful and honest.

Hope it goes well for you

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Dec 15, 2014, 08:57)dave1712 Wrote:  hi Chuck,

Having gone your route already, there are a few things to consider when buying a separate flash:

for ease of use make sure it is TTL (through the lens metering) for your camera. This means it must be a Canon OEM flash or one dedicated to Canon (Ed makes the point about the number of pins and the position of them.) Canon OEM guaranteed to work, user documentation will precisely match, and on-camera settings will display and work correctly as per documentation. Non-Canon for a given spec will invariably be cheaper, (often of equal or better quality) but you may need to experiment with setting to get it to work correctly.

For off-camera you have 3 options:
- A dedicated wireless flash with canon compatible off-camera wireless (ie a Canon OEM flash or some some non-OEM (such as the Metz range (eg 52AF)
- a Canon compatible extension cable (limits distance but works 'cos it just extends the pins from the camera to the end of the wire)
- compatible wireless flash triggers which support TTL such as the Yongnuo 622C and/or 622C-TX

Other things to consider are power of flash you want where higher guide number = more powerful = longer range = heavier = more bulky.

Does the flash have zoom function so the flash senses the zoom setting of the camera and adjusts its zoom to match? This is a useful function of you use a lens in the 18-105 range as the flash is maximised for zoom and range. (also note that flashes with zoom often quote a guide number at maximum zoom range and it will be less with low zoom (as the light is spread wider to include all the field of view.)

Finally if you buy used, make sure you test it with your camera. Dunno about others but Canon change the flash interface of their cameras periodically (eg I had a flash that worked just fine with a 7D but didn't with a 6D.) A quick test should show. Without wading though all the docs, set camera to shutter priority , 1/125s, ISO 400 or 800, and TTL and take a few frames from 2 to 10 metres or so. If burnt out within that then TTL is probably not working correctly or is incorrectly set somewhere. If most of the exposures look ok, but at the long range it gets darker then you are getting to the limits of the flash performance. I
f you get something strange such as 1/2 exposed and 1/2 black its typically a shutter sync problem (so you'll have to read the manual!)

After all the messing about what did I end up with after lots of testing: A chunky but reasonably powerful Metz 52AF, and for high portability a Sunpak RD2000 which easily fits in the pocket. Both are TTL but only the Metz has auto zoom and is wireless off-camera. The metz has lots of functions and needed a bit of practise to get consistent results. The Sunpak has 3 buttons (on/off, test, and another for changing the power - easy to use. If I'd bought that first I would probably got the Metz 44AF (although I don't know if it is auto off-camera but see next..)

I've since started to experiment with 2 flashes off camera and got the Yongnuo 622C-TX and two 622C (although the Metz doesn't need it is just too convenient to use the same setting up no matter what the flash is.)

I hope it helps but think I may have added more smoke than light!

Wow, Dave!. Thanks for the information. Being a relative newbie to DSLR's and their accessories I would not have thought of any of these things. It gives me a lot to think about. I have seen the Yongunuo flashes before (not sure about the models you have mentioned) and wasn't sure about the quality of the brand, but it sounds as if it can be a viable alternative.

Will let you know what I come up with after I do more research. I've got my son's wedding coming up in July and would like to have a decent flash in place before then.

One other thing have you heard anything about a flash booster/extender such as one developed by Rogue Safari? It seems an interesting concept, but have no idea whether such a device is effective.

Thanks again,

Chuck

(Dec 15, 2014, 13:40)Rolf Wrote:  Hi Chuck

Not sure what your budget is but have a look at this link... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/80...mount.html Perhaps it is within your range? There are a few other options in the same section that may work for you too. You can always call them - they are very helpful and honest.

Kind regards

Rolf

Rolf, thank you on the tip for that Canon 430EZ flash. I receive the B&H catalog and visited the website, but did not see that particular deal (that would fall within the budget...a pretty good deal from what I can see). The Canon 430EZ was the flash I had considered to be perfect for my needs and future expansion options.

Many thanks to you,

Chuck

(Dec 15, 2014, 15:31)Herakles82 Wrote:  
(Dec 15, 2014, 13:40)Rolf Wrote:  Hi Chuck

Kind regards

Rolf

Rolf, thank you on the tip for that Canon 430EZ flash. I receive the B&H catalog and visited the website, but did not see that particular deal (that would fall within the budget...a pretty good deal from what I can see). The Canon 430EZ was the flash I had considered to be perfect for my needs and future expansion options.

Many thanks to you,

Chuck

You are very welcome Chuck, I hope it works out for you

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hi Chuck,

the Rogue Safari effectively converts an on-camera flash from a floodlight into a spotlight. The literature mentions it gives up to x8 light and optimised for use with 100mm and upwards lenses so would not be aimed at use for photos of groups at a wedding for sure.

I've seen a similar product in use to take a bird photo at dusk from 20 metres with a powerful flash. The photo looked fine but the bird flew off in shock and hit a tree!

Auto zoom flashguns will give a similar effect although the ones I looked at only worked up to 105mm and not over 100mm.

Dave

(Dec 15, 2014, 18:04)dave1712 Wrote:  Hi Chuck,

the Rogue Safari effectively converts an on-camera flash from a floodlight into a spotlight. The literature mentions it gives up to x8 light and optimised for use with 100mm and upwards lenses so would not be aimed at use for photos of groups at a wedding for sure.

I've seen a similar product in use to take a bird photo at dusk from 20 metres with a powerful flash. The photo looked fine but the bird flew off in shock and hit a tree!

Auto zoom flashguns will give a similar effect although the ones I looked at only worked up to 105mm and not over 100mm.

Dave

Hello again, Dave,

I appreciate the feedback on the Rogue Safari and similar devices. I did not know how something like that would function. Sounds like a worthwhile additional item for the camera bag.

I must admit that I had a chuckle about the bird (Ma bad!) flying into the tree. Hope that it did not get seriously and permanently hurt.

Best wishes,

Chuck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post