Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stacked Macros.

I've been trying out Helicon Focus.  The program is alright for static subjects, but struggles with shots taken outdoors, even in the lightest of breezes.

Managed to capture this shot this afternoon.  A stack of six shots.

Milking the Aphids.

[Image: 34921334864_759dea70fa_b.jpg]

Milking by Jeff Watson, on Flickr

Jeff

Nice shot, Jeff. Any focus stacking software requires that the subject to be totally static. Practise makes perfect.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Cant really say much, without seeing a single shot. Ed

To each his own!

(Jul 7, 2017, 03:00)GrahamS Wrote:  Nice shot, Jeff.  Any focus stacking software requires that the subject to be totally static.   Practise makes perfect.
I appreciate that Graham, but when shooting outside, even the slightest breeze will make the subject bounce around the frame.

Combine ZP does a better job of aligning the subject than Helicon, though there is no facility I've found to edit the final result.

Jeff

(Jul 6, 2017, 13:20)Fogey Wrote:  I've been trying out Helicon Focus.  The program is alright for static subjects, but struggles with shots taken outdoors, even in the lightest of breezes.

Managed to capture this shot this afternoon.  A stack of six shots.

Milking the Aphids.

[Image: 34921334864_759dea70fa_b.jpg]

Milking by Jeff Watson, on Flickr

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Looks like quite a feat. Is it like HDR--multiple shots at different focus points?

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Combine ZP does a better job of aligning the subject than Helicon, though there is no facility I've found to edit the final result.

Jeff, does this mean the final product, cannot be edited in Photoshop, or similar type programmes.  Thanks. Ed. 

To each his own!

(Jul 8, 2017, 01:07)EdMak Wrote:  Combine ZP does a better job of aligning the subject than Helicon, though there is no facility I've found to edit the final result.

Jeff, does this mean the final product, cannot be edited in Photoshop, or similar type programmes.  Thanks. Ed. 
In a way Ed, it does. 

Ghosting can be edited in any competent digital editing software, however, should CombineZP fail to render one image in the stack successfully, then painting that sharp source image into the final product is nigh impossible.

I suppose this can be done in Photoshop, but with an awful lot of faffing - it's much easier to do it in the original stacking program such as helicon focus.

Jeff

(Jul 7, 2017, 17:41)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  Looks like quite a feat. Is it like HDR--multiple shots at different focus points?
Exactly, Don.

The software then renders the source photographs picking out the sharpest bits of the the source photographs and combining them into one image that is sharp throughout its depth, allowing the author to shoot, with a very wide aperture, a subject that has a lot of depth to it.

Jeff

(Jul 8, 2017, 02:09)Fogey Wrote:  
(Jul 8, 2017, 01:07)EdMak Wrote:  Combine ZP does a better job of aligning the subject than Helicon, though there is no facility I've found to edit the final result.

In a way Ed, it does. 

Ghosting can be edited in any competent digital editing software, however, should CombineZP fail to render one image in the stack successfully, then painting that sharp source image into the final product is nigh impossible.

I suppose this can be done in Photoshop, but with an awful lot of faffing - it's much easier to do it in the original stacking program such as helicon focus.
Let me try to explain.  Bear in mind the subject was bouncing around the frame in the breeze and the bugs were very mobile.  There was a multitude of ants marching up and down the stalk of the plant and the aphids were doing their own thing as well.

Every time the plant returned to it's original position, I took a shot.

These are three of the source photos.  The other three dealt with the plant top right of frame.

CombineZP produced the third image.  Note the bud closest to the camera is out of focus as is the background leaves of the plant top right of frame.  Painting in the OOF bud in a third party program would be very difficult.

The last shot is the finished article in Helicon focus - but even then there are problems with the finished image.

Jeff

Remarkable programme, and need skill to use. Trained in the 50's, you were Photoshop, and every click cost money. very changed days. Thanks for the info. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Slowly getting to grips with this programme.

180 odd shots using a focusing rail.

House Spider.

[Image: 35858155431_5cf837e93d_c.jpg]

leggy_stitch by Jeff Watson, on Flickr

Jeff

Persistence definitely paying off.  Ed.

To each his own!

Love the spider, much better stack for my eye.

Thank you both.

These shots were taken at one millimetre increments, and still that wasn't small enough.  Looks like I'll have to invest in a more professional focusing rail if I want to pursue extreme macros.

Jeff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Fogey
Jul 23, 2017, 23:44