Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CHEAP AMAZON BATTERIES

Amazon are not alone. Ed.

A 1400 mah won’t take as many images before needing recharge as a 1600 mah battery.

(Oct 6, 2013, 15:13)Dean Wrote:  A 1400 mah won’t take as many images before needing recharge as a 1600 mah battery.

Thanks for that Dean. If that is the only difference then I guess it's not going to hurt the camera in any way, so probably nothing to worry about too much, unless of course the difference in the number of images is really big! Would it effect the flash intensity, or recycle times, apart from obviously not getting as many flashes out of it of course?

Not clever enough to know whether it would affect recycle time, but shouldn't alter flash intensity. After reading your post I checked on my own batteries. Both the Canon and canon look alike are 1800 mah whilst the Nikon battery is 1050 mah and its cheaper twin (Duracell) is 1000 mah. I would suggest doing a little more shopping around before purchasing to see if you can find a 1800 mah replacement. Battery life is important if you are on a battery hungery shoot or away from home.

Recycling time should not be affected. Ed.

I have been a heavy user of knock off batteries. In my personal experience, they held less charge, but were vastly cheaper. Concern is with electronics that are now built into batteries (to keep the price high, I suspect). Some batteries may thus not be compatible. Check online about a compatibility of a specific brand. In terms of durability, both the OEM and the knockoffs outlasted my use of D300, despite very heavy use. I would not hesitate to buy knockoffs again, after checking other user's experiences online.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

(Oct 6, 2013, 03:49)Peter E Wrote:  
(Oct 5, 2013, 16:11)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 5, 2013, 11:11)hoobaloo Wrote:  
(Oct 4, 2013, 03:39)Peter E Wrote:  
(Oct 3, 2013, 10:59)EdMak Wrote:  I use cheap look alike's with a290, with no problems. Ed.

Hi Ed, Thanks for that. Are you getting your cheap look alikes from Amazon outlets, or elsewhere?
I bought a Jessops battery for an Olympus ages ago and it was excellent, still going in fact, but, sadly, Jessops don't seem to cater for SONY batteries. It would be useful to know of any other reliable sources for lookalikes.

As a completely separate matter Ed, as another Sony user you may also have this problem, and maybe found a way around it.
I have just got the A58 (My first Sony cam) and it's brilliant, I love it. But I don't love the fact that I can't find a way of deleting photos en-mass. I have to go painstakingly through the process with each separate photo, rather than being able to delete the lot from the card in one hit! A real pain if you are like me and sometimes snap lots of shots, to pick out the best. Do you know a way around it?

Pete.
Why, if deleting all, do you not format the memory card?, regards, John

+1

The manufacturers recommend formatting the card in the camera EVERY time you download.
Not only does it clear out all the old images (kind of), it refreshes the FAT (File Allocation Table). The FAT has been known to become scrambled if all you do is continuously delete photos without formatting. If that happens, the card will do strange things, like lose or concatenate (merge together) images. Formatting the cards is covered on page 166 of your instruction manual.

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4459705111.pdf

If you REALLY don't want to do that, then the manual tells you how to delete all the images on page 154.

I would be only too happy to reformat the card,as you suggest and which I done with other cameras. but (Bear in mind this cam is very new to me as yet) a quick look into it's menus didn't obviously point to a card set up section! and as far as deleting all, definitely nothing on that under deletion, or the relevant section in my manual!
I am puzzled by the page references you give. you must have a different manual to me. I downloaded the pdf manual for this cam directly from Sony UK, to improve the paper one that came with the Cam. Not a huge difference but expanded a bit. However it only has 92 pages. You are obviously looking at a different manual completely! If it's for the A58 it's far superior to the pdf one I uploaded, and I need to obtain one. Don't know if you could send me a pdf copy by e-mail perhaps. or copy and paste pages 154 & 166, or even tell me how to obtain one for myself because the Sony web site only seems provide the one I downloaded.
Pete.

Peter;

I gave you a link to the instruction manual I was looking at.
Here it is again;

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Peter, when you click on the link, the inst book will download to your screen, may take a minute or two. Save it to your computer, by, going to File, top left, then, SAVE AS, or, click on the Floppy disc Icon, again top left area, it is small, and follow the prompts. Ed.

(Oct 7, 2013, 09:25)Dean Wrote:  Not clever enough to know whether it would affect recycle time, but shouldn't alter flash intensity. After reading your post I checked on my own batteries. Both the Canon and canon look alike are 1800 mah whilst the Nikon battery is 1050 mah and its cheaper twin (Duracell) is 1000 mah. I would suggest doing a little more shopping around before purchasing to see if you can find a 1800 mah replacement. Battery life is important if you are on a battery hungery shoot or away from home.

Hi Dean,
Yes I quite agree, I don't really want to obtain a spare that won't last as long before a recharge. the Duracell you list above is a long way short of the others isn't it.
I popped into our local photographic shop, which is a pretty comprehensive place run by professional photographers, to discus it, they were not too keen on Duracell. I said surely Duracell must be a top class battery manufacturer? they said yes, when it comes to AA or AAA type batteries, none better! but not very good for camera batteries, and they would never use them.
Seems strange to me but one can only suppose they know what they are talking about, after all they could include them with the range of Duracell products they have hanging up if they wanted to. They could probably obtain them cheaper than their own recommended replacement stock. I can't just remember what they where called now but I think he said they where Japanese and marketed in England, so he can obtain mine by the next day, for a competitive £28. One of the photographers produced what looked to be a hideously Expensive Nikon! gorgeous looking camera, and said she uses them in that all the time and they are great. Apparently they supply lots to Sony users with no probs.
I didn't have the exact battery model number on me but I am going in there later today to order one. I will check what it lists as the mah. I will be happy with the 1600, as per the original.

pete.

(Oct 7, 2013, 14:11)Pavel Wrote:  I have been a heavy user of knock off batteries. In my personal experience, they held less charge, but were vastly cheaper. Concern is with electronics that are now built into batteries (to keep the price high, I suspect). Some batteries may thus not be compatible. Check online about a compatibility of a specific brand. In terms of durability, both the OEM and the knockoffs outlasted my use of D300, despite very heavy use. I would not hesitate to buy knockoffs again, after checking other user's experiences online.

Thanks Pavel. I think I have solved this issue now with a good compatible one, obtainable through my local photographic shop, with all the backup of buying from a shop direct, if there are issues with it, or it doesn't work properly.
Pete.

(Oct 7, 2013, 14:38)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 6, 2013, 03:49)Peter E Wrote:  
(Oct 5, 2013, 16:11)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 5, 2013, 11:11)hoobaloo Wrote:  
(Oct 4, 2013, 03:39)Peter E Wrote:  Hi Ed, Thanks for that. Are you getting your cheap look alikes from Amazon outlets, or elsewhere?
I bought a Jessops battery for an Olympus ages ago and it was excellent, still going in fact, but, sadly, Jessops don't seem to cater for SONY batteries. It would be useful to know of any other reliable sources for lookalikes.

As a completely separate matter Ed, as another Sony user you may also have this problem, and maybe found a way around it.
I have just got the A58 (My first Sony cam) and it's brilliant, I love it. But I don't love the fact that I can't find a way of deleting photos en-mass. I have to go painstakingly through the process with each separate photo, rather than being able to delete the lot from the card in one hit! A real pain if you are like me and sometimes snap lots of shots, to pick out the best. Do you know a way around it?

Pete.
Why, if deleting all, do you not format the memory card?, regards, John

+1

The manufacturers recommend formatting the card in the camera EVERY time you download.
Not only does it clear out all the old images (kind of), it refreshes the FAT (File Allocation Table). The FAT has been known to become scrambled if all you do is continuously delete photos without formatting. If that happens, the card will do strange things, like lose or concatenate (merge together) images. Formatting the cards is covered on page 166 of your instruction manual.

If you REALLY don't want to do that, then the manual tells you how to delete all the images on page 154.

I would be only too happy to reformat the card,as you suggest and which I done with other cameras. but (Bear in mind this cam is very new to me as yet) a quick look into it's menus didn't obviously point to a card set up section! and as far as deleting all, definitely nothing on that under deletion, or the relevant section in my manual!
I am puzzled by the page references you give. you must have a different manual to me. I downloaded the pdf manual for this cam directly from Sony UK, to improve the paper one that came with the Cam. Not a huge difference but expanded a bit. However it only has 92 pages. You are obviously looking at a different manual completely! If it's for the A58 it's far superior to the pdf one I uploaded, and I need to obtain one. Don't know if you could send me a pdf copy by e-mail perhaps. or copy and paste pages 154 & 166, or even tell me how to obtain one for myself because the Sony web site only seems provide the one I downloaded.
Pete.

Peter;

I gave you a link to the instruction manual I was looking at.
Here it is again;

Thanks for that link. There is a bit of a story to this now, as I contacted Sony support team be e-mail and explained the issue to them. I got a very pleasant, prompt, reply from them, referring me to that very link you quote above, which is of course excellent, the 4-459-705 11 with it's full 215 pages. Whereas the only one I could find available to download now from Sony, is the vastly restricted 4-459-708-11, with only 92 pages!
708 would appear a later version of the 705, not a poorer one. Possibly something gone a bit awry on their site. I explained the prob and presumably they will put it right for other users who would probably have the same issues as me.

Something puzzles me though,you don't use an A58 yourself do you? so did you obtain that link specially from Sony to help my issue? If that is the case it was extremely kind of you to go to that much trouble, and I thank you for that, but still begs the question, how did you manage to obtain that link so easily? I am no slouch when it comes to computers and web site maneuvers but I could only find the 708. Must be getting daft in my old age!!

Incidentally, and reinforces that I must be getting daft, I completely overlooked that you had sent me that link originally.... at the bottom of the page. I see that now looking back. Perhaps I was answering mail late at night and tired, at least that's my excuse, but thanks anyway.

Pete.

(Oct 9, 2013, 04:38)Peter E Wrote:  Something puzzles me though,you don't use an A58 yourself do you? so did you obtain that link specially from Sony to help my issue? If that is the case it was extremely kind of you to go to that much trouble, and I thank you for that, but still begs the question, how did you manage to obtain that link so easily? I am no slouch when it comes to computers and web site maneuvers but I could only find the 708. Must be getting daft in my old age!!

Incidentally, and reinforces that I must be getting daft, I completely overlooked that you had sent me that link originally.... at the bottom of the page. I see that now looking back. Perhaps I was answering mail late at night and tired, at least that's my excuse, but thanks anyway.

Pete.

Pete;

No, I'm actually a Nikon DSLR guy.
But, I've been photographing for over 40 years, and have a technical background.
To be of assistance, I wanted to see if there was something that might not have been clear in the manual. I'm also a big fan of having all the documentation I can about my gear.

All I did was Google "Sony A58 manual", and look for one from a Sony site. That took me to the support page, and there I looked for the most current, English version of the instruction manual. I think it took me all of 3 minutes, and it took about the same to download.
I've learned that sometimes the better, more current/complete versions are on sites intended for other countries/regions. One time I found a Canon manual (in English) on their Japanese site. It was a couple of years newer than the one on the USA site for the same camera.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Having a medical background as well, when working in the field - we always use Duracell due to their durability as well as they rarely fail. Just a side note! :0)

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Oct 9, 2013, 09:42)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 9, 2013, 04:38)Peter E Wrote:  Something puzzles me though,you don't use an A58 yourself do you? so did you obtain that link specially from Sony to help my issue? If that is the case it was extremely kind of you to go to that much trouble, and I thank you for that, but still begs the question, how did you manage to obtain that link so easily? I am no slouch when it comes to computers and web site maneuvers but I could only find the 708. Must be getting daft in my old age!!

Pete.

Pete;

No, I'm actually a Nikon DSLR guy.
But, I've been photographing for over 40 years, and have a technical background.
To be of assistance, I wanted to see if there was something that might not have been clear in the manual. I'm also a big fan of having all the documentation I can about my gear.

All I did was Google "Sony A58 manual", and look for one from a Sony site. That took me to the support page, and there I looked for the most current, English version of the instruction manual. I think it took me all of 3 minutes, and it took about the same to download.
I've learned that sometimes the better, more current/complete versions are on sites intended for other countries/regions. One time I found a Canon manual (in English) on their Japanese site. It was a couple of years newer than the one on the USA site for the same camera.

Strange that my experience was similar, only slightly different in that I didn't google sony A58 manual, but followed the instructions for the support site, as per the paper booklet that came with the cam ie. http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/ all exactly as per the booklet. which should theoretically have led me to same place you got to! Was invited to enter camera model No. in the search box, and language > then Downloadable manuals. Got to the English pdf manuals were I was presented with, I think 3 options if I remember correctly, but only one of that worked, Which turned out to be the restricted 708 every time I tried it. Very Strange!! Perhaps it's different in some way if you search it out from the USA rather than in England.

I have also downloaded and installed the Sony recommended 'Image Data Converter' which sounds as though it's going to be useful for improving images.
The splurge says you can playback and edit images recorded in RAW format?
Then save it in the RAW format, or save it in the general file format (JPEG/TIFF)!

As I am sure you will appreciate, I don't have a clue yet what the heck RAW format is, but imagine it must be an option I can choose to set the cam to? Not even sure if this is desirable, I mean are RAW format images NOT viewable, or downloadable to the computer, in the usual way? If that where to be the case, then I am very surprised that the program has grabbed the few photos from 'my pictures' that are not in folders but which are definitely 'Jpeg' format. (One even is a CD cover), and put them in the opening box.

So far I haven't had the time to really study this and find out what RAW format is. I will get round to it soon enough.

Thanks for all your help in this Wall, I do appreciate it.
Pete.

(Oct 9, 2013, 11:50)Peter E Wrote:  I have also downloaded and installed the Sony recommended 'Image Data Converter' which sounds as though it's going to be useful for improving images.
Then save it in the RAW format, or save it in the general file format (JPEG/TIFF)!

As I am sure you will appreciate, I don't have a clue yet what the heck RAW format is, but imagine it must be an option I can choose to set the cam to? Not even sure if this is desirable, I mean are RAW format images NOT viewable, or downloadable to the computer, in the usual way? If that where to be the case, then I am very surprised that the program has grabbed the few photos from 'my pictures' that are not in folders but which are definitely 'Jpeg' format. (One even is a CD cover), and put them in the opening box.

So far I haven't had the time to really study this and find out what RAW format is. I will get round to it soon enough.

Pete.

RAW is the proprietary file format for your camera, that has NONE of the in-camera processing done to it.

I stole this from another forum:
JPEG is like eating a TV dinner or at a drive-thru. Raw is having the ingredients to make dinner. You wouldn't eat those ingredients without mixing and cooking them first. And you can choose to replicate the above choices, but with skill, you can make something absolutely amazing.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Oct 9, 2013, 15:16)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 9, 2013, 11:50)Peter E Wrote:  I have also downloaded and installed the Sony recommended 'Image Data Converter' which sounds as though it's going to be useful for improving images.

Pete.

RAW is the proprietary file format for your camera, that has NONE of the in-camera processing done to it.

JPEG is like eating a TV dinner or at a drive-thru. Raw is having the ingredients to make dinner. You wouldn't eat those ingredients without mixing and cooking them first. And you can choose to replicate the above choices, but with skill, you can make something absolutely amazing.

Hi Wall, Thanks for that. Yes I can see what you are saying but where does the RAW image come from to work on with the image editing program?
I mean the camera is producing the result WITH all the in-camera processing done. Where can the Raw image be found to work on?
Must admit I haven't looked into the situation other than this chat with you but it seems a bit drastic if I have to set my camera up just to produce only unfinished RAW images.
Maybe there is a way of converting the Jpeg back to RAW to work on, which would be far more satisfactory to me.

Pete

(Oct 9, 2013, 10:38)Barbara G. Wrote:  Having a medical background as well, when working in the field - we always use Duracell due to their durability as well as they rarely fail. Just a side note! :0)
Thanks for that Barbara. I am inclined to agree, there can't possibly be anything wrong with any Batteries Duracell produce, Camera or otherwise. I have plumped for the one recommended by the Camera shop, purely because the mAh is considerably higher, and the price is comparable with Duracell, and of course the in shop backup if I should be unlucky enough to get a duff one! I am inclined to regard their anti comments about Duracell for cameras, with a pinch of salt though!!
Pete.

Friend across the yard, has electrical business, yesterday was having a problem with doorbell, new batts, Duracell, fitted. Eventually tested batts, out of the four, one was completely flat. Use by date was, 2016. Ed.

(Oct 12, 2013, 04:42)Peter E Wrote:  
(Oct 9, 2013, 15:16)Wall-E Wrote:  

Pete.

Hi Wall, Thanks for that. Yes I can see what you are saying but where does the RAW image come from to work on with the image editing program?
I mean the camera is producing the result WITH all the in-camera processing done. Where can the Raw image be found to work on?
Must admit I haven't looked into the situation other than this chat with you but it seems a bit drastic if I have to set my camera up just to produce only unfinished RAW images.
Maybe there is a way of converting the Jpeg back to RAW to work on, which would be far more satisfactory to me.

Pete

>>>"where does the RAW image come from to work on with the image editing program?"

Your camera (and EVERY other digital camera) makes a RAW file. That's the information that comes directly from the imaging sensor. Only a subset of (usually) higher level cameras allow you access to that file. The camera processor (tiny computer) then takes that, adds the adjustments you've dialed in (like color saturation,sharpening, white/color balance. etc), then compresses the image using the Joint Photograpic Experts Group 'recipe' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG) .

>>>"Maybe there is a way of converting the Jpeg back to RAW to work on, which would be far more satisfactory to me."

No. Jpegs come *FROM* RAW. Read my previous analogy. Cooked food comes from raw food. You can't undo it to get the raw ingredients back.

You can set your 'Picture Quality' to save both the RAW and the processed jpeg.
Just remember that RAW files are a LOT larger than jpeg files. Just like your pantry is larger than the plate of food you made for dinner. This *will* impact the number of images that your memory card can hold.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Oct 3, 2013, 05:48)Peter E Wrote:  Has anyone had any experiences, or issues, with Amazon replacement batteries, which can be picked up for a fraction of the prices charged by manufacturers like Sony for their replacement batteries. Like maybe £11 against £70 from Sony.

It's not really clear if the Amazon batteries are genuine replacements, or copies (which seem most likely) or even refurbished, though the latter seems unlikely.
My worry is that are they going to be reliable and stable, like in the voltage output for example. I may be worrying over nothing but it seems to me that it would only take too higher a current to seriously damage the cams delicate chips!
Has anyone had any problems of this nature with Amazon's batteries. Or any good comments regarding stable reliable use?
I did purchase one a while back for a Panasonic TZ2, which has since developed problems, but there is no way of knowing if this is linked to that new battery or not, but does present a slight worry when it comes to my Sony A58!

Pete.

I priced the batteries for my Canon SX30-is from Canon ($95) and from Amazon ($2.37). I bought one from Amazon, just to try it. I was completely happy with it, and it was a more powerful one than the Canon! I bought 3 more, for a total of 6 I now own, and am still very happy with them a year and a half later.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 21, 2014, 11:54