Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CRW/CR2 Raw Files

I discovered yesterday that I couldn't download the raw images from my 400D to Adobe Bridge even after I updated the raw plugin to V3.5. So I loaded the software that came with the camera 'Digital Photo Professional'. To me it is great as it downloads jpg's & raw files and I can see both instantaneously. Does anyone else use this software and is it as good as CS2's raw?
BTW I was horrified to see my flash card filling up so quickly yesterday, discovered that the camera was taking raw & jpg at the same time Rolleyes guess I had better do some more reading of the instruction book and change some settings today Big Grin

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Hi Pat, I use the now old Raw Shooter Essentials.......as I really like the work flow. I do also use canon's DPP I find that I can sometimes get better results with it! I know that Kombi and WS use it and are very happy with the results. When I upgrade the computer I will have a look at Adobe Lightrooom. There are lots of different programs and its a matter of finding one that works for you.

this can be another steep curve Big Grin

Pat Wrote:I discovered yesterday that I couldn't download the raw images from my 400D to Adobe Bridge even after I updated the raw plugin to V3.5. So I loaded the software that came with the camera 'Digital Photo Professional'. To me it is great as it downloads jpg's & raw files and I can see both instantaneously. Does anyone else use this software and is it as good as CS2's raw?
BTW I was horrified to see my flash card filling up so quickly yesterday, discovered that the camera was taking raw & jpg at the same time Rolleyes guess I had better do some more reading of the instruction book and change some settings today Big Grin
Pat, Raw does take up a lot of room. Either get more flash cards, and a couple of 250gb hard discs to hold them Big Grin Or practise in jpeg, and save Raw for specials. I have been using DPP tonight but I will have to look at the instructions to see how to 'save as' jpegs without losing the Raw file.
For most of the stuff I post I use Irfanview.You can see Raw in that but it takes a while to load each shot .

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

My opinion - ditch the RAW+Jpeg option unless you are doing sports or weddings - and shoot RAW exclusively. You can't tell in advance when you will take a photo that *needs* RAW to save it. You can always generate a jpeg from a RAW and you might as well save the card space. The oposite is not true - can't get a RAW from a JPeg.

If you shoot RAW - the value you get from it is traded off against workflow and card/disk space. In my opinion, the tradeoff is worth it - your mileage may vary.

Have set the camera to take raw photos and have bought another flash card. I like the software DPP and will use that instead of Bridge which I never liked. Thanks for all your comments. I am now a lot more confident about using the 400D when we go on holiday Big Grin

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Hi Pat - DPP is a great programme. It used to be a bit sad, but is now much better.

I like the simple interface and ease of use. It is missing a rotate tool - which is my main complaint, but is evolving constantly and I am hoping that it will eventually have that included.

Another great RAW conversion programme is Lightroom. It is put out by Adobe and is currently in Beta testing. It is a free download and has heaps of features. However, it is more complex to use than DPP.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post