Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Camera Noise - Camera Muzzle

Just reading up on solutions photographers use to reduce or eliminate the noise of camera operation and the slap of the shutter when you take pics. One thing I've noticed with my Nikon D50 is that the mirror slap is very audible, and sounds a lot noisier than say the Canon 350D. I don't really mind it, but some pro photographers work on locations such as movie sets or courtrooms where silence is mandatory. Has anyone shot in this kind of situation before?

Rob Galbraith talks about the Camera Muzzle, which looks like a padded bag and says that "It doesn't completely eliminate the clunk and whir of the camera reaching the ears of those nearby, but it does reduce the intrusiveness of the sound more than enough to allow a fly-on-the-wall shooting style when necessary."

Apparently there is a better but albeit more bulky and less atractive looking solution - the Sound Blimp which completely encases the camera and lens inside a foam padded aluminium alloy case.

It does make operating a camera quite awkward, I would imagine, and also makes your modern DSLR look like something out of the 60's, but I guess that's the price you pay for stealthy operation.

That's a pair of interesting solutions to a problem that's been solved... I understand that some DSLRs give a performance advantage over digicams, but they're almost completely silent. Surely, any usability advantage to a DSLR would be negated by these contraptions? I can hear when I take a photo with my Sony F828, but it's the sound of a small electrical contact, not a mechanical shutter. My E-1 is very good, but it's a klaxon compared to a digicam.

Digicams are under-appreciated.

(Sean Reid: "The moral of the story: If you really need a quiet camera (and can’t use a sound blimp) consider an Olympus E-1 ... or, better yet, consider the nearly silent Leica Digilux 2.")

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I saw that today too! hehe

Or you could use a low-tech solution...
[Image: 95093849_29b2d12ebb_b.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post