Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bryce and Zion Canyons UT

Hello: I will be going to Bryce and Zion Canyon in September. I have a Sony 350 Camera with an 18-70 lens and a 70-200 lens. I am interested in capturing landscape views. Any suggestions?Rolleyes

Hello and welcome to shuttertalk gm2424942 Smile Hmmmm.... Bring a Steady tripod, remote shutter, graduated filters and a lot of snacks. I've bet that is one great view u there. Don't forget to post your images here in our forum Smile Good luck..

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

dont forget your head for heights lol wow i feel some greats pics are gonna come out of that trip... Smile id saya wide angle but not shore how it would work with such a great view tho.. Smile dont forget your macro you never know what fab little things you might come across.. Smile

(Aug 28, 2013, 02:38)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Hello and welcome to shuttertalk gm2424942 Smile Hmmmm.... Bring a Steady tripod, remote shutter, graduated filters and a lot of snacks. I've bet that is one great view u there. Don't forget to post your images here in our forum Smile Good luck..

I got the tripod-remote shutter but have been having a brain talk about filters with myself. UV sky 10 polarized are some I have. What is your thoughts. Thank you for the response.

(Aug 28, 2013, 03:34)funkymunky Wrote:  dont forget your head for heights lol wow i feel some greats pics are gonna come out of that trip... Smile id saya wide angle but not shore how it would work with such a great view tho.. Smile dont forget your macro you never know what fab little things you might come across.. Smile
Thank you for the reply. I went to a local camera store. The two clerks got into a discussion of wide angle and telephoto. I come down on the side of wide angle but can't afford the 10-24 they wanted to sell me.

(Aug 28, 2013, 07:23)gm2424942 Wrote:  
(Aug 28, 2013, 03:34)funkymunky Wrote:  dont forget your head for heights lol wow i feel some greats pics are gonna come out of that trip... Smile id saya wide angle but not shore how it would work with such a great view tho.. Smile dont forget your macro you never know what fab little things you might come across.. Smile
Thank you for the reply. I went to a local camera store. The two clerks got into a discussion of wide angle and telephoto. I come down on the side of wide angle but can't afford the 10-24 they wanted to sell me.

Rent one.
BorrowLenses, RentGlass (my personal favorite), even that local store might rent.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I will check this out. Thanks again

(Aug 28, 2013, 07:20)gm2424942 Wrote:  I got the tripod-remote shutter but have been having a brain talk about filters with myself. UV sky 10 polarized are some I have. What is your thoughts. Thank you for the response.

Yeah that would be good. Also check on this FILTERs I have couple of these filters (not all coz some I don't need much) that really help me a lot when on an assignment. Try to review some of it and if it really needs or will help you on your scene then I recommend. Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

I my self would check other sites that have people who have been where you are going first. Then check out what they used for lenses and even filters and see if there are some that may fit your bill, it seems that if others have used one length of lens or another then that is what maybe you may have to use if you want the same desired affect. I have been in the area before and I will say there is so much to see and shot that the one thing I would be worried about is the storage cards or a back up system.
BTW: How about a pano Lenses for the area has more to see at one time that the camera may pick uo in one click of the shutter??? Have fun it is a very photogenic area mostly during sunrise and during sunsets.

I would add a ND8 filter to the list. I should think you are more likely to suffer from too much light rather than too little.

I am not sure but this site has a lot on the Bryce and Zion Canyons. maybe worth a look at just a suggestion.

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-24102-1.html

(Sep 2, 2013, 10:38)Dean Wrote:  I would add a ND8 filter to the list. I should think you are more likely to suffer from too much light rather than too little.

Thank you. I will check in to this.

(Sep 2, 2013, 10:33)sdaupanner Wrote:  I my self would check other sites that have people who have been where you are going first. Then check out what they used for lenses and even filters and see if there are some that may fit your bill, it seems that if others have used one length of lens or another then that is what maybe you may have to use if you want the same desired affect. I have been in the area before and I will say there is so much to see and shot that the one thing I would be worried about is the storage cards or a back up system.
BTW: How about a pano Lenses for the area has more to see at one time that the camera may pick uo in one click of the shutter??? Have fun it is a very photogenic area mostly during sunrise and during sunsets.
I will check this out. Thank you.

(Sep 2, 2013, 11:09)sdaupanner Wrote:  I am not sure but this site has a lot on the Bryce and Zion Canyons. maybe worth a look at just a suggestion.

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-24102-1.html

I was going to suggest UHH also.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Sep 2, 2013, 10:33)sdaupanner Wrote:  I my self would check other sites that have people who have been where you are going first. Then check out what they used for lenses and even filters and see if there are some that may fit your bill, it seems that if others have used one length of lens or another then that is what maybe you may have to use if you want the same desired affect. I have been in the area before and I will say there is so much to see and shot that the one thing I would be worried about is the storage cards or a back up system.

Why use a 'pano' lense????
Take a series of overlapping images and stitch them together into a panorama.
Even in portrait orientation.
Just make sure you are set for MANUAL exposure, so it's the same across all the images.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

I can't wait. Thank you for the info.