Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Camera lens filters.

G'Day Everyone. Big Grin At this stage, I have only one question that I need help with. :/ Can I attach a Skylight 1B, a UV, and a Polarizing filters to my FujiFilm FinePix S5500 Digital camera, all at the same time?

Many thanks

Col Paton. (DigiCol)

Yes - in theory. I usually use either a Skylight or an UV filter that I leave on the front of my lens at all times. My suggestion would be to have the UV and not the skylight. You can also attach the circular polarizer to the front of any filter without difficulty.

The problem with attaching multiple filters to the front of a lens is that when you shoot a photo at wide angle, you can see vignetting (dark areas in the corner) of your photos. This is caused when the wide angle area of coverage now "sees" the filter stack. You do not see this at telephoto types of angles, but it can happen sometimes at your wide setting. I suggest doing a test to see if your filter stack will vignette, and if so at what angle.

Attach your filters to the front of the lens and take a picture of a plain blue sky at various zoom levels. Write down what zoom level (i.e. 35 mm, 50 mm, 85mm) that you used for each shot. When you look at your photos on the computer, you *may* see vignetting at some of the wider angles (lower numbers). If you don't, that's good. If you do, you will then know how wide you can zoom with the filter stack on without vignetting.

I see it quite often with my Nikon D200 if I use a polarizer on top of my UV filter at very wide angles (12 - 14 mm). I usually crop those areas out in PhotoShop. I always have a UV filter on, and frequently use a polarizer in bright sunlight - so there you go.

If I was doing it all over again, I would look at buying a super thin polarizer - but I am not sure if they are available or at what cost.

Hope this answers your question.

I have a super thin polarizer - but it was very expensive. It is larger than what you need though and so your's would be cheaper. Mine was a 77mm one and was about $130 US.

Canon stuff.

Yes, you can stack filters. They have threads front and back.
I only see vignetting when I have four filters screwed together, and only at the very widest setting. Not a problem once you know the limits of your particular setup.

Keeping them perfectly clean is a big help as far as image quality when shooting through so much extra glass.

77mm is one of the most expensive sizes of filters anyway, isn't it....

I bought also a slim B&W CP 77mm for 107 euro. It was expensive, but it comes with a lid which is really useful.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I only buy 77mm filters because that is the filter size for my largest lens. I use step-up rings for my smaller lenses so that I don't have to buy and carry multiple sizes of the same filter. For example, I own only one 77 mm circular polarizer, and my 18-200 VR always wars a 67-77 step up ring. The downside to this is that I also needed to buy a 77mm lens cap for this lens. It is still much much cheaper than buying another cp.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post