Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Camera phones

I just wondered what your take is on using phones to capture a scene. I've recently started uploading photos from my iphone to the blog, rather than solely using my DSLR.

This is a photo I uploaded from my phone a few days ago (as an example).

I still edited the photo on my laptop, using photoshop, but haven't changed exposure.

Link

An olympus E-500, and a lot of crazy ideas.
http://www.dailywanders.blogspot.com

I use my cell phone due to convenience and have gotten some nice shots in my opinion for the moment. Some use cell phone cameras quite often, while others prefer to use their regular cameras. Looking forward to hearing other's comments.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I have some great shots taken with my cell phone. As Barbara said, it's all about convenience. You don't always have your camera with you.

The best camera in the world is the one in your hands. To that extent, the camera on my phones has always been a precious tool to me. Also, it helps that my phone takes some really snappy pictures.

(May 29, 2013, 00:54)kNox Wrote:  The best camera in the world is the one in your hands. To that extent, the camera on my phones has always been a precious tool to me. Also, it helps that my phone takes some really snappy pictures.

I really do agree with that! I think it's a brilliant tool. It's strange to notice that now, adverts for mobile phones show people on social networks/ searching things online/ taking photos but never what a phone was actually designed for in the first place...

While the camera on my iPhone isn't brilliant, it's good enough, and a useful resource when taking a camera with you isn't possible.

Well, we don't have phones nowadays, we have pocket computers. I can take a photo, edit it in detail, share it on a ton of social sites... All in under a minute. Smile

I can't get used to it. I'm a fogey.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(May 29, 2013, 07:01)kNox Wrote:  Well, we don't have phones nowadays, we have pocket computers. I can take a photo, edit it in detail, share it on a ton of social sites... All in under a minute. Smile

Very true!

(May 29, 2013, 08:01)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  I can't get used to it. I'm a fogey.

Yup..same here..phone is for calls and messages, camera is for photography..and smartphone is for.. well..playing addictive childish games and surfing from the bed Sleepy

The technology keeps improving to the point that the professionals well be fewer in the future. The cell phone is one of those technologies that will satisfy a lot of people - mostly the cell phone user. There are a few applications left in which the professional can preserve their place. For now - that is - the cell phone images look great in the default or native size - enlarge them for print and the quality falls appart. Also, the color can be a tad bit off. Another application for the pro - is the nano or micro world - so far no commercial cell phones that I am aware of can get in to the microscopic world of imaging - therefore, my studio offers micro assignments as well as up to 42x68 inch poster prints - with stunning detail - these are two areas were cell phones simply are not taking those markets. For the cell phone user/photographer the artistic applications are wide open - I can recall an Album from Paul MacCartney where I think cell phone images were used - or else a very low resolution device of some type was used - I'm not sure, however - the use of such images from cell phones will certainly gain their place within the market. I think that these cell phone images are beloved by the audiance that accepts them as commercial value - facebook is loaded with cell phone images - I can tell for the most part which ones are and which ones are not. I don't think many stock image suppliers are accepting cell phone images at this time - I wish they did - I was doing an ad layout a few years back - and wanted to use a cell phone type image - however, all the stock image suppliers had in archive were slick high resolution polished photos. But as for your images - I like them - and if you like them - well that is what truly counts.

(May 28, 2013, 11:04)Beckylouise Wrote:  I just wondered what your take is on using phones to capture a scene. I've recently started uploading photos from my iphone to the blog, rather than solely using my DSLR.

This is a photo I uploaded from my phone a few days ago (as an example).

I still edited the photo on my laptop, using photoshop, but haven't changed exposure.

Link

Interesting set of replies to this one. I have never had a camera on my phone, bit of a fogey like Don I think! phones are for making a call on, and my old style Nokia both fits the slot in my car and makes a call as good as any house phone, but no camera! Having said that I always carry a Panasonic HM-TA2 (stills/HD vid cam) with me, for those special moments when I might need a cam quickly. It's small phone sized, and the results are excellent but I suppose an up to date computer phone, would save carrying two things around!
Good luck to all those that want them though, Friends of mine that have the up to date phone cams seem to love them, and show me good results on them. Not going to surpass a good SLR but for convenience, and the use you mention, excellent I should think.
Peter.

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  The technology keeps improving to the point that the professionals well be fewer in the future.

Depends on your definition of 'professional'. What *I* see happening, is people's standards are dropping in the wake of more, lower quality 'snapshots' with crappy filters like Instagram to hide the poor technique and lighting.

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  The cell phone is one of those technologies that will satisfy a lot of people - mostly the cell phone user. There are a few applications left in which the professional can preserve their place.

I disagree. There are just as many places for the pro, just way more for the OPWC (other people with cameras)

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  For now - that is - the cell phone images look great in the default or native size - enlarge them for print and the quality falls appart. Also, the color can be a tad bit off. Another application for the pro - is the nano or micro world - so far no commercial cell phones that I am aware of can get in to the microscopic world of imaging - therefore, my studio offers micro assignments as well as up to 42x68 inch poster prints - with stunning detail - these are two areas were cell phones simply are not taking those markets.

Well.......http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Cellphone-Microscope-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B0086CUGGC

And for wall size prints, a cellphone can't get there, yet.

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  For the cell phone user/photographer the artistic applications are wide open - I can recall an Album from Paul MacCartney where I think cell phone images were used - or else a very low resolution device of some type was used - I'm not sure, however - the use of such images from cell phones will certainly gain their place within the market.

I certainly hope NOT. Just like I HATE text message 'speak' used in other venues.
We keep lowering our standards.

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  I think that these cell phone images are beloved by the audiance that accepts them as commercial value

NOT 'commercial' value, but personal.

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  - facebook is loaded with cell phone images - I can tell for the most part which ones are and which ones are not. I don't think many stock image suppliers are accepting cell phone images at this time - I wish they did

That isn't their business model right now. And they want 'quality' images, of decent file size. You should probably have been looking at the creative commons area of wikipedia for those kind of images.

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  - I was doing an ad layout a few years back - and wanted to use a cell phone type image - however, all the stock image suppliers had in archive were slick high resolution polished photos.

Cellphone cameras have come a long way in the past few years. 2 Mpixels were pretty high end not that many years ago, now it's below average.

(May 30, 2013, 06:40)DanDickens2 Wrote:  But as for your images - I like them - and if you like them - well that is what truly counts.

Unless they were taken for a client, and then THEIR opinion is the one that counts.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post