Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Camera straps?

Just wondering what kind of straps do people use on their cameras? I've always used the one that comes with my camera - have never seen a need to use another. That being said, I've never tried any alternatives either - I see plenty of more padded, comfortable looking ones out there.

Anyway, lifehacker has an article about making your own camera sling - which I thought was a different take on the traditional camera strap.
http://lifehacker.com/5461402/diy-camera...-the-ready

some straps are elastic. A huge improvement if you have a serious DSLR with a 300 mm lens on it. Much more comfortable.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

im currently using the blackrapid r-strap.. i find it alot nicer to use especially with longer lenses as it hans at the side rather than at your chest. (providing you are wearing a camera normally for use and not on the side)

Makes pulling it up pretty quick..

www.blackrapid.com

I use Canon E1 hand strapSmile

I use a Canon E1 hand strap on my E-3, a Domke Gripper neck strap on my F100, home-made wrist straps for my E-1 and D700, and a neoprene neck strap for my old rangefinder. I do actually use the straps that came with the camera for my SX20 and FZ18, though. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I don't use straps anymore.
Don't like having to untangle it every time I take my camera out of the bag.

Thinking about a hand strap for my DSLR--Sony wants $70 for theirs so I think I'll be getting a generic one for around $10 from Gadget Infinity.

I just received the Kata reflex C Ergo-Tech camera strap i won in the Kata competition. Have only tried it briefly on my 50D with the Sigma 24-70 attached, this is usually uncomfortable hanging on my neck with the Canon strap.

The Kata strap is a neoprene and about 2.25 inches wide at the back of the neck, it is soft feeling and slightly curved to fit the contours of your neck. With the weight of the camera/lens combo above it feels pretty comfortable. There is a small zip up pocket each side of the strap that are big enough for a couple of AA batteries or memory cards. Guess these would be useful for a spare set of AA's for a flash gun.

It feels like the usual high build quality I have come to expect from Kata products, and rather than being stitched where the strap goes from the wide material to the narrower strap part, it has a nylon hing and rubber protection over the narrow strap.

Interesting topic (in a nerdy way). I just bought a new Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm F1.7 lens. It comes with a strap - but it feels s bit big and cumbersome on the GF1. Anybody got any good ideas for a pocket camera?

Rob, congratulations, and it's a small world - I just picked up the GH1. I have to say that it has the worst strap design I've seen. Actually, my problem isn't with the strap, which will remain in its packaging - it's the lugs. Who decided to put metal-on-metal lugs with buckle attachments on a camera that's designed for video??? They rattle and make noise. (A good example of something brought forward from the G1 that completely missed rethinking.) I've had to make a wrist strap using a short loop of shoelace to connect my usual nylon webbing.

B&H seems to have some interesting wrist strap options, but their really high minimum shipping charge to Canada keeps me away.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

hey Matthew, are you competing with your employer and opening up a camera store? Wait till your employer hears about it.Big GrinBig Grin

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

matthew Wrote:Rob, congratulations, and it's a small world - I just picked up the GH1. I have to say that it has the worst strap design I've seen. Actually, my problem isn't with the strap, which will remain in its packaging - it's the lugs. Who decided to put metal-on-metal lugs with buckle attachments on a camera that's designed for video??? They rattle and make noise. (A good example of something brought forward from the G1 that completely missed rethinking.) I've had to make a wrist strap using a short loop of shoelace to connect my usual nylon webbing.

B&H seems to have some interesting wrist strap options, but their really high minimum shipping charge to Canada keeps me away.
I have had my eye on a m4/3 camera for a while and just finally pulled the trigger. I agree about the lugs and I also agree that a wrist strap is the way to go for a camera this size. I'll update this thread when I come to a solution re the strap.

Dreamingpixels Wrote:hey Matthew, are you competing with your employer and opening up a camera store? Wait till your employer hears about it.Big GrinBig Grin
No worries - I'm their best customer, and I pay for my own training. It's a win-win.

The number of cameras and lenses in my inventory is about to go down, though. I'll be keeping the 4/3 gear that gives me something unique, but a Nikon FX and Micro 4/3 combination is awesome. I've gone from looking for a bigger camera bag to having too much empty space in my little Domke F6. It's awesome.

matthew Wrote:The number of cameras and lenses in my inventory is about to go down, though. I'll be keeping the 4/3 gear that gives me something unique, but a Nikon FX and Micro 4/3 combination is awesome.
Sounds like we are on the same wavelength. I plan to simplify as well. I will keep my D200 with 18-200 and 12-24 (both Nikon) and have the GF1 with 20mm as my street rig.

I plan to try to sell my Nikon 80-200 F2.8, Tamron 90 F2.8 macro and my F100 with Nikon 24-85 if I can.

Interested to hear your thoughts about the 4/3 cameras guys.

Canon stuff.

We should probably start a separate thread more aptly titled...

Having used the kata strap for a few trips out, i have to say i really like it, it's very comfortable and hangs just right. The two zip up pockets that i thought might be gimicky have actually turned out to be a geat asset, keep a lens cloth in one and a spare card in the other, useful when not carrying a camera bag.

A lot to be said for having a "no-name" strap, as it can deflect and deter the opportunist thief.
A lot also to be said for getting a new "name" strap, then treading it around in the garden, washing it in bleach, then leaving it on a bridle-path to be galloped on by horses: thus one can look as if one's a pro who's seen a bit of Afghan-war-shooter action whilst doing a safari shoot with the long end on the way back.
I've toyed with the idea of transferring a Nikon F4 strap and/or my Pentax 67 strap to my Canon, just to fool people into thinking into thinking I'm somebody else and with an even wackier, "retro-pro-shooter" camera than I already have.
My ultimate would be to get a "Kelloggs" or "Motorguzzi" logo copied onto my Fender or Gibson guitar strap, then trim it down and have that instead: I could then affect that air of studied nonchalance that we all covet when folks slip by with their 50Ds with the hoody on their telephoto, and we wait to catch their envious green eye, just so we can get off on the thrill.
Oh come on. It's not just me is it?

Wink

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Great post, Zig. Its difficult to add anything to such a clear vision...

This is the strap that I got for my GF1. It is much more in keeping with the size and portability of the GF1 than the included neck strap.

http://www.prostrap.com/SnapStrap/SnapStrap.html

Feels good, nice and small - but secure.

Lol @ Zig... Big Grin

Thanks for the heads up on the pro strap - looks great. Must check it out...

Peter - thanks for the suggestion on the blackrapid strap - I'm getting a couple of units to review... Big Grin

I also took a good look at the Blackrapid strap that Peter suggested. It looks really good - if you aren't carrying a shoulder bag.

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/co...b381667b7b

I think this strap might work really well in conjunction with the Kata AP pouches that I reviewed early this year. Pouches at the waist would not interfere with the quick draw nature of this strap. This strap is what the AP shoulder harness (which I did not like) should have been. Good catch, Peter.

BTW: the Prostrap wrist strap is working out beautifully with my GF1 - it is the perfect scale and offers security with discrete good looks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post