Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Camera with projector?

Just read this review of the Nikon Coolpix S1000pj - a compact digicam with a built in project. The camera itself is average but with regards to the projector they say:

Quote:Being able to show-off your photos, videos and work to an audience in a way that you can't with other digicams, however, instantly elevates the Nikon Coolpix S1100pj above the competition, for both casual and business users alike
I wonder whether people here would find it useful? Currently when I want to show off photos, I'd just flip the camera around and show the LCD to other people - but that only works with 2 or 3 people max and gets pretty tiring. But with a projector you'd be able to show off your photos to a group without special equipment. Then again, the thought of finding a blank wall, setting up the slideshow etc. would probably turn that impromptu spur of the moment thing into a bit of a headache...

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/n...onclusion/

I don't show my photos in-camera - so not useful for me - others maybe

shuttertalk Wrote:The camera itself is average but …
… but average for a Coolpix really is nothing to write home about. Honestly - and remember that I have two Nikon SLRs and seven Nikkor lenses - every Coolpix I've tried since the 900 series has been unreasonably disappointing.

The 1000PJ is an interesting idea, but as you suspect, I've had a hard time showing its capabilities. Looking around me right now, as I sit in a darkened living room, it would be able to work fairly well. But it wouldn't help me show photos in the restaurants and coffee shops where I usually rendezvous with family and friends.

Showing people the photos straight from my memory card is a terrifying idea - if I needed an electronic portfolio, I'd be looking for a tablet device like the iPad or upcoming 7" Blackberry tablet. But these cameras aren't intended for photographers.

I have learned that most casual camera users simply never erase photos from their memory cards, so it's entirely possible that the family photos from last christmas are still on the camera when they see long-lost relatives at thanksgiving. And since the idea of 'finished work' (and 'editing') is usually foreign to them, showing a long slideshow on a weak, battery-hungry projector is probably just right.

But does nobody remember the terror of the phrase "Let's just look at the slides from our vacation" not still strike terror into people's hearts? Have we forgotten the horrors of home movie cameras?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:But does nobody remember the terror of the phrase "Let's just look at the slides from our vacation" not still strike terror into people's hearts? Have we forgotten the horrors of home movie cameras?
Haha, yes I think I've tried about 2 of those and have never attempted again... Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post