Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cameragraphs - subtly animated photos

I really like this as a concept. Animated graphics are nothing new and most of us are used to the rolling smiley faces that are so prevalent on the 'net. However, photographer Jamie Beck and motion graphics artist Kevin Burg have attempted to elevate it to an art form by using subtle animations in photos to try to add/capture another dimension to/of the scene.

I think it really works - I really like the ones that show very subtle movement, that almost look like a really good photo and then suddenly something moving in the frame that makes you look twice and draws you in from there. For me the ones that don't work so well are the models with frozen facial features - it looks a little unnatural to me. But the others like, the taxi in the window, are just amazing.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663683/far-...ing-moment

[Image: tumblr_linetdmNqm1qzcq51o1_500.gif]

Direct links to these guys' galleries.
http://fromme-toyou.tumblr.com/tagged/cinemagraph
http://oh-so-coco.tumblr.com/tagged/cinemagraph

Any thoughts?

Quite innovative and novel, but you can't put them in your photo album, in the same way,unless it is a digital one. I will sit on the fence on this one for a while.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

What a neat idea. How do you do this?

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Cool! Very Cool!! I could sure score some points with that technique!Wink

I am, therefore I shutter!

I also like this technique - very cool. NT is correct, though. how do you frame this?

I read somewhere that they shoot multiple frames at high speed, then stack the photos in photoshop / premiere? and mask off the non-moving bits. I'm haven't dabbled much in video processing but some people said they could achieve something similar in 15 mins of mucking about.

Haha I think it would be pretty awesome showing in a digital photo frame in your lounge room. Picture the look on people's faces when they do a second take when they realize the stills are actually moving ... Smile

shuttertalk Wrote:I read somewhere that they shoot multiple frames at high speed, then stack the photos in photoshop / premiere? and mask off the non-moving bits. I'm haven't dabbled much in video processing but some people said they could achieve something similar in 15 mins of mucking about.
They say they are using GIFs - so in theory, if you have a bunch of stills and the software to selectively combine them, it shouldn't be much harder than my "leaping Toad" avatar.

shuttertalk Wrote:Haha I think it would be pretty awesome showing in a digital photo frame in your lounge room. Picture the look on people's faces when they do a second take when they realize the stills are actually moving ... Smile
Yes - that would be worth the price right there.

I could do gifs easily with the early photoshop elements, but now with CS you have to use image ready as well. I find it tiresome.
I do like the effect though, but will the novelty wear off pretty quickly.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Emperor's New Clothes?
Sorry, no disrespect, just that I'm left quite passive here:
Shoot a video from a tripod for a second and loop it.
To me, it's like doing something techy and more complicated, so as to get poorer results than doing it with something less complex.
Wasn't it Alexander Pope who said something like "a dog walking on its hind legs: not so much a surprise that it's managed to do it, but that it's doing it at all."
Er..he actually said this about educating women, but I'm being pc. Smile

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

It's similar to what you are describing Zig, but they have selectively allowed motion through while suppressing motion in other parts of the image. The one displaying above is a poor candidate for displaying that, but if you browse through their works in the other links, you'll get a sense of what I mean.

That said, I'm sure they're not the only ones to think of this idea but I think it's a refreshing concept.

I haven't seen this topic, so I opened a new topic for this, sorry!

I really liked this, I just imagine the wind and the trees... Or the sea... waves.... This is amazing.

Thank you Julian,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I would like to see the effect with prints.Big Grin

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Pavel Wrote:I would like to see the effect with prints.Big Grin
No doubt they are working on it. Watch this space but don't hold your breath. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

I imagine it would be something along the lines of: get a few prints, and flip between them really quickly. Or of you're really good, you can get a stack and flutter the edges (like a deck of cards) like we used to do in school. Old school animation.. Big Grin

Makes me wonder if this wouldn't be a perfect application for the digital frame that I built a few years ago (or any digital frame really)...

Toad Wrote:
Makes me wonder if this wouldn't be a perfect application for the digital frame that I built a few years ago (or any digital frame really)...
This would be amazing! I just try to imagine, there is a big photograph on the wall and the waves... the sea... Can you imagine how it would change the ambience in the place! Yes, I will repeate this would be the greatest in photography. I am sure one day we will see them on the walls...

Thank you dear Robert, and thank you dear Julian, this was very exciting subject.
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

nia Wrote:Thank you dear Robert, and thank you dear Julian, this was very exciting subject.
with my love, nia
Exciting yes - and it would help me to use my frame as well - it has become passe since I built it.

The one with the guy reading the paper works well.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post