Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cameras in the rain

Not being sure which forum to post in, I will put it here.

Canon 350d users mainly, but it probably covers others as well.
Q. If it is raining or snowing do you cover up the camera body or lens in any way, Or do you just towel it dry after shooting ?

I am ultra protective which means a lot of what I see cannot be taken, (photo wise) I would be frightened of spray etc. This only applies to cameras costing large amounts of money. A cheaper one would have to take it's chances.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I don't usually shoot in the rian but if I di it's under cover. I've heard of people using zip lock bags with a hole in it for the lens and an elastic band wrapped around the end holding the plastic.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

hi

i think most cameras these days are (have) some kind of sealent and some light rain or splash is ok. ask adam.

not sure about canon 350d but i have shot with an nikon f5 and a 80-200mmf2.8afsw in a light rain then just dry and clean any water left. took the batteries out and check if there was water in the battery compartment. i think the main problem will be if the water gets in the electronics or the camera or lens.

I'd try my best to avoid all forms of liquid getting on my camera.
Especially BEER being POURED ON Sad YUK YUK YKU!@!#!@#@!@ but that was on the lens, none on the body Smile
As soon as that happened, I wiped it with my shirt..

again, I'd avoid shooting in the rain if my camera is going to get wet, I'd rather not risk... ahha Smile
there are some "covers" you can buy Smile

This is probably an inappropriate time to repost this...

(I bought my E-1, which was a year out of date even then, because of its weather sealing. I've used it in all kinds of weather, and don't hesitate to pour water on it for dramatic effect. And yes, the camera was on, and yes, I took a photo with it in that setup. DO NOT pour water on your camera.)

When it was a week old, I got my Sony F828 wet. Very wet. I was out in hard rain for an hour, and it got soaked -- wrapped in a plastic bag, under some clothes, in the bottom of a backpack, which was also covered in a plastic bag. It was wet inside the bag when I got the camera home, and it had sat that way for hours.

(I was photographing my wife in a 10K race, using a Canon Elph S400 in a diving case.)

I took out the battery, cards, and left everything open. It took about a week to dry out, but the camera works just fine 18 months later. The only difference is that there's a little mineral deposit on the inside of the EVF viewpiece. It was a scary experience, and the camera wasn't on when it was wet, which is very important. This was my inspiration for getting the weatherproof Olympus, and in the interim I used a drybag to store my Sony in while the S400 was doing its thing in the diving case.

Some of the best light is in the rain.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Like the other say, I think a little splash wouldn't kill your camera, but I would be hesitant to shoot in the rain. Maybe over time I might become a bit more blase... Big Grin

You can buy rain covers that allow you to shoot in wet weather - they're basically translucent bags that have holes for your lens: e.g.
http://abetterphotoguide.bizhosting.com/...overs.html

Thanks guys! I Think the covers or similar is the way to go for me. I wasn't particularly meaning to shoot in the rain, but occasionally something extraordinary occurs. (cloudburst..seaspray..etc) I know salt is a killer.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I've had my rebel in a fwe snow storms and in ultra light rain with no effect, I just dry everything with a towel and sit it outside the bag for a day or two afterwards to be thoroughly dry.

Last time I was caught a little off guard mi try not to shoot in the rain as I worry about my "baby", referring to my camera.

However, I tend to stop for coffee half way through my walk (I normally walk around 6-8 miles on a photography wander), so I take an umbrella, sun cream, sunglasses, a water bottle and a waterproof coat.

Last time I got caught in the rain, I was in the middle, miles away from civilisation, so carried on shooting in my waterproof coat, holding the camera over my umbrella.

An olympus E-500, and a lot of crazy ideas.
http://www.dailywanders.blogspot.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by melvin
Jul 9, 2013, 09:52