Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon 350D vs Nikon D50 vs Pentax *ist DS

Now the D50 is now official, and the pricing strategy is evident - it seems that these three cameras are going head to head in the same market segment.

It seems that a lot of Nikon users are wondering if the D50 is cheap enough - the D70 is probably around 100 bucks more than the D50 due to heavy discounting and pending discontinuation, but given the choice between the D50 and D70, the decision would be a no brainer.

It would be interesting to see how the D50 does against the competing brands though. Canon has the megapixel advantage (8mp), and Pentax... well if NN's story is true then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Thoughts anyone?

The idea of having a camera that's a budget version of the D70 is a great idea... but it looks like they are might be missing the point a bit... the keyword here is "budget". It needs to be priced at most 3/4 the price of the D70 to be seen as a step forward if you ask me.

Advancements in electronic equipment are simple. To stay competitive, you must either offer a better product at the same price or a similar product at a cheaper price.
If the D50 came close to the price of a *ist... well THEN we'd have some hot competition!

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

shuttertalk Wrote:Now the D50 is now official, and the pricing strategy is evident - it seems that these three cameras are going head to head in the same market segment.

It would be interesting to see how the D50 does against the competing brands though. Canon has the megapixel advantage (8mp), and Pentax... well if NN's story is true then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Thoughts anyone?

I refuse to agree with you yet about the Pentax line, I would expect that they will bring out a better range of lenses to suit the digitals, I mean they have to don't they??

And the reality will be that D50 buyers will want cheaper lenses just like the Ds owners and will buy Tamron and Sigma if Pentax does not provide something at a suitable price point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

As far as Pentax go they are definitely working on and expanding the range of digital only DA lenses. My major concern was their apparent abandonning of full frame 35mm lenses and the potental implicatins of that for the future Smile

There's a definite commitment from Pentax to the DA reduced image circle lenses which will be suitable for current cameras, but it leaves me wondering how they are going to introduce any kind of upgrade to the *istD and whether or not they envisage any future Pentax DSLR with a full frame 35mm sensor.

--NN

I guess they have looked into their crystal balls and don't see the full frame sensors for a long lime.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post