Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon 50D Peekaboo!

According to Engadget, the Canon 50D appeared briefly on Canon's Chinese site, which was obviously an accidental leak (probably watching a bit too much of the Olympics), and was promptly taken down again. Specs: 15.1 MP sensor, ISO 12800!?!, DIGIC 4 processor and 3 inch LCD.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/21/canon...nese-site/

Thanks a lot!!? I was lusting over a 40D...and now there's a 50D to make me crazy.

.....Dennis

For what it's worth, that sounds very similar to what I've heard, so I'd accept that information as correct.

(Did they mention the G10 or new SD cameras?) Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

enviroguy Wrote:Thanks a lot!!? I was lusting over a 40D...and now there's a 50D to make me crazy.

.....Dennis
Haha, I suppose once the 50D comes out, the 40D should drop in price! Big Grin

More leaked goodness! Big Grin

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/24/canon...to-leaked/

And get this - a new 18-200 IS lens from canon, which can be bought as a kit! Looks like Canon's answer to the Nikon 18-200 VR.

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/08/24...-kit-lens/

Plus, a 1600 ISO test shot...

Is my 10D going to explode now? Wink

Yes, every time a new camera is announced, your 10D image quality drops.

The EXIF on the 50D sample image says it was taken on 14/07/2008. I will start taking more notice of what cameras people use when I'm out, just incase I spot something new a month or so before it is announced Tongue Do you think the tester cameras have badge? LOL

So the final specs are exactly what I expected... the 50D looks like a good incremental upgrade to the 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D, D60, and D30. The surprising bit it that Canon says that the 40D will remain in the lineup.

Still nothing about the SD990...? I guess they'll have to release the next powershot manually...

I wonder if my R1800's print quality dropped when Epson brought out the R1900....

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Keeping the 40D is interesting.

It tells me that Canon has learned from Sony that people like a line with more choices, a la the A200, A300 and A350.
Want the latest features? Move across the line to a higher number and pay a little more, instead of having to jump all the way up to the next level and pay twice as much.
Or change brands to get the feature/price combination you desire.

Sony has proven this business model works since the beginning of digital, and with Canon's market share and brains I'm surprised it took them this long to apply it to DSLRs.
Cameras like the 30D aren't really obsolete, but I think they were afraid that keeping it in production would diminish sales of the 40D. In truth, by lowering it's price but keeping it around when the 40D came out they could have made a lot more sales overall.
(Ritz/Wolf bought ALL remaining 30Ds and is blowing them out at a ridiculous price right now, proving me correct. Combine a decent feature set at a good price and people WILL buy cameras that are theoretically out-dated!)

For example, there have always been at least two models in each Sony line.
Like the W50, W70 and W100 at the same time, with megapixels and LCD size as the main differences.
I think the T70, T200 and T300 were "new" at the same time, and if you liked the basic design it was easy to find a model that had a feature/price-point you were attracted to.
Now it's the T77 and T700.
Same with the H-Series.

For the DSLRs, the A100 started things off, then the A200 replaced it as the entry-level "Base Model".
Following within months, the A300 simply added Live View and a tilting LCD for $100 more (A steal!) and the A350 kept those features but went to a 14MP sensor intead of 10MP, for $200 more than the A300.
That particular jump was not worth it to me so I went for the A300 plus a 55-200mm lens and a 3-Year "dropped my camera in a river" replacement plan at the kit lens A350 price, but for those who make large prints it made sense.

Actually, the A350 is for those suckers who measure their penises on the megapixel scale--especially attractive to them since it has 2MP more than the mid-level A700 that's in the 40D/50D price range.

and now for some D90 video fun!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post