Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon 60d problem

Hello can anyone help me? I have a Canon 60d, it's been working fine until suddenly it wouldn't take a picture, it auto focuses ok but when the shutter release button is fully pressed it sometimes works after a delay of no specific time, other times it won't work at all. I've checked settings over & over,also tried all the metering modes with no success, wondered if anyone has had the same problems or maybe an idea of what is going on.
Thanks in anticipation Graham

When it does take a picture, does the image look okay? Any black banding?

Have you tried a different memory card? (thinking maybe a damaged contact)

How many pictures have you taken with the camera roughly?

Is Factory Reset, a capability. Ed.

To each his own!

Couple of things.... firstly... settings... is the camera looking for f2.8 and all it can get due to the lens is f4 in a low light situation... moving the camera may then change the light meter reading and f4 will do and it fires?

These shutters are electrical... so may have a dirty contact send it to Canon for cleaning. Not sure on the number of actuations, but the shutter button electrics may have failed or at least are on their way out making intermittent contact. Send it back to Canon! Try recycling the power, I have heard that on the older 30D that had similar issues, that seemed to be a fix even if temporary.

If you are in UK any where near Elstree, go to the Canon Repair Facility and Pro Centre and they will have a look at it generally there and then. They will be able to advise the issue, costs and down time. You can if you wanted to then leave it with them and they will send it back to you.. after you stumped up the cash! Big Grin Otherwise your local Canon dealership...

I hope that has helped...

Good luck

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Had a few more thoughts on what you can try... Is the door shut properly on the media card slot? That has an interlock to prevent firing... although a total disconnect usually means the whole camera is dead. Have you inadvertently got the camera in mirror lock up mode... press shutter once for mirror lock and again to fire?

You could try flooding the shutter button area with isopropyl alcohol- rubbing alcohol... carefully...that may help to wash away any residues from skin oils or other contaminants that may be on the shutter button contacts... if it does... it's a temporary fix but does show that all you need is a clean... Canon though will probably go for a replacement mechanism... that way you wont get the issue recurring!

Could also try cleaning the battery contacts in case it's a low voltage issue. Worth checking the output voltage from the battery too... swap for a known good battery and try shutter again... Clean the lens to body contacts... the camera may not be communicating with the lens too well... again with the alcohol.

Go to your Menu and try a reset to factory ... then see if the problem persists... if it does... chances are it's not an erroneous setting but points to the shutter mechanism itself... either needing cleaning or replacing... also try a different lens.... if that work OK... the original lens may have an issue...

Go to a Dealer and try a battery grip and see if the camera fires normally using the grips' shutter release...if it does and you can live with it, it may be a cheaper alternative to a strip down and clean or replacement shutter.

Can't think of any thing else... Quite a lot to consider but the whole camera is an assembly of interconnected parts each one having some affect on the other... much like the computer it is I suppose...

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

I should mention that if you do introduce the rubbing alcohol to any electrical circuit on your camera... it's best to remove the battery or any other source of power to those circuits firstBig Grin It is also volatile and the vapours are flammable. Not a beer substituteAngry.. it's also toxic. One last thing... try not to spill it and wood furniture that has a finish to it... the Isopropyl alcohol is after all a solvent... found in many wood finishing products!

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Feb 2, 2015, 10:40)EnglishBob Wrote:  When it does take a picture, does the image look okay? Any black banding?

Have you tried a different memory card? (thinking maybe a damaged contact)

How many pictures have you taken with the camera roughly?

Hello Bob when it takes a picture it's fine, focus, exposure good,no banding tried different card no difference, shutter count is 9300. The count is from the continuous count on the card, last image. Sounds about right, camera 2 yrs old
Thanks Graham

(Feb 2, 2015, 10:58)EdMak Wrote:  Is Factory Reset, a capability. Ed.

Hello Ed Mac tried factory reset, resetting in 2 menus, switched off, removed battery, waited replaced battery,tried again still same.
Cheers Graham

(Feb 2, 2015, 11:19)Rolf Wrote:  Couple of things.... firstly... settings... is the camera looking for f2.8 and all it can get due to the lens is f4 in a low light situation... moving the camera may then change the light meter reading and f4 will do and it fires?

These shutters are electrical... so may have a dirty contact send it to Canon for cleaning. Not sure on the number of actuations, but the shutter button electrics may have failed or at least are on their way out making intermittent contact. Send it back to Canon! Try recycling the power, I have heard that on the older 30D that had similar issues, that seemed to be a fix even if temporary.

If you are in UK any where near Elstree, go to the Canon Repair Facility and Pro Centre and they will have a look at it generally there and then. They will be able to advise the issue, costs and down time. You can if you wanted to then leave it with them and they will send it back to you.. after you stumped up the cash! Big Grin Otherwise your local Canon dealership...

I hope that has helped...

Good luck

Kind regards

Rolf
Hello Rolf thanks for your info, I have tried everything you said ,no good, I think I will have to send it for a good clean & service. By the way I'm in Cornwall,not near Elstree but have found a good camera service centre in Bodmin, not far from me, I think a service will do it good. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again for your help. Graham

I hope it works out for you!

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Leave the battery out overnight. Ed.

To each his own!

not sure if this is your problem but have you checked the shutter 'Drive Mode'? (on Quick menue a the bottom.) Could be you have inadvertently set it to time delay of 2 or 10 seconds| ...... and yes, I have done this very thing myself Smile

(Feb 7, 2015, 08:36)dave1712 Wrote:  not sure if this is your problem but have you checked the shutter 'Drive Mode'? (on Quick menue a the bottom.) Could be you have inadvertently set it to time delay of 2 or 10 seconds| ...... and yes, I have done this very thing myself Smile

Thanks Dave for suggestion but I have checked that.
I know what you mean though it is so easy to change something and not notice it. I have sent it to be repaired & serviced now. Just too many strange things happening, seems to have a mind of its own.
Thanks Graham

(Feb 7, 2015, 08:36)dave1712 Wrote:  not sure if this is your problem but have you checked the shutter 'Drive Mode'? (on Quick menue a the bottom.) Could be you have inadvertently set it to time delay of 2 or 10 seconds| ...... and yes, I have done this very thing myself Smile

I should of thought of this, done it more than once myself LOL.

I do not have a Canon camera, so I would prefer someone like Rolf or Craig who use Canon gear, to comment on the following suggestion first:-

Have you ever updated the camera's firmware (the software in the camera that runs all of its systems and features)? If not, it might be worth trying. You should be able to find and download the necessary files and instructions from Canon UK Support:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/

If you have not done this before, it will be important to read, and make sure you understand, ALL the instructions before you begin the procedure. It is not difficult but it must be done correctly. Alternatively, try to find someone locally who knows how to help you with it.

Cheers.
Philip

Update on my Canon 60d problem, I eventually sent it away to be repaired, it was the shutter release, fitted new one & normal service has been resumed. Thank you to everyone who tried to help out, it was very much appreciated. Graham

Glad your sorted Smile

Hopefully, a satisfactory ending. Ed.

May get more replies by starting this as a new thread.

To each his own!

According to Canon 60d Manual:
You may try changing the focusing method in the menu by following these steps:
  • Press MENU.
    Select the [Camera #4] tab.
    Select [AF Mode].
    Select [Quick Mode].
    This will drop the mirror and black over the frame briefly to use the AF sensor to focus just like you were using the viewfinder instead of the LCD. When a focus lock is achieved, the camera will raise the mirror and the LCD will show an image again so you can take the picture.

(Feb 2, 2015, 08:11)It sounds like a question for CanonUsa.com. Wrote:  Wilf1954Hello can anyone help me? I have a Canon 60d, it's been working fine until suddenly it wouldn't take a picture, it auto focuses ok but when the shutter release button is fully pressed it sometimes works after a delay of no specific time, other times it won't work at all. I've checked settings over & over,also tried all the metering modes with no success, wondered if anyone has had the same problems or maybe an idea of what is going on.
Thanks in anticipation Graham

Try a Factory Reset. Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post