Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon Rebel XT or Pentax *ist DS

These two new camera have my mouth watering! Which one would you get, and why?

It seems the rebel XT has 8 megapixel and DS has 6 megapixel. Apart from that, very similar. DS is smaller but XT is lighter. DS has max ISO of 3200 and backwheel! XT only 1600 and frontwheel. Both 2.8 fps, same shutter speed. Oh and DS has 2.0 inch screen, XT only 1.8 inch. DS has SD card storage and can take AA batteries. XT uses compactflash and uses Canon battery. DS slightly cheaper too.

In my mind the Nikon D70 does not even compare anymore!

By the way I found this very useful tool at dpreview to show side by side comparison:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_...0&show=all

For me it would have to be the Rebel...

Better Resolution, better Battery, CF memory... meaning access to the CD slot HDD's and large affordable storage.

You mention ISO going to 3200. You will rarely if ever use it. XT's ISO of 100 is more important, in my opinion.

XT specs list rear-curtain flash sync, like the D70, but this was left off the chart.

You are also ignoring lens selection. Canon certainly has the most offerings, though it would be a stand-off between Canon and Nikon for quality.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in any of those, but the XT seems to be the current frontrunner.

Isn't the XT outdated technology? I was sure the AT came out after that... hmm maybe my memory is going on me Smile

True true, especially regarding lens selection. Prior to the XT coming out, I thought the DS would be my next cam. Now I'm not so sure... Big Grin

StudioJ Wrote:Isn't the XT outdated technology? I was sure the AT came out after that... hmm maybe my memory is going on me Smile

LOL! Took me a moment to get the joke. Seems that MY memory is going! (Or maybe you're just old? Big Grin )

Heheh, well mine has a turbo button! Big Grin

33Mhz... how did we ever manage?

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Thank you for all your replies. So is it true that if you judge with the following criteria:

Sensor / quality
Lens selection
Battery life

then the Rebel XT would win.

If you judge according to this criteria:

Control layout (backwheel, buttons etc.)
LCD Display (bigger, better resolution)
ISO speed

Then *ist DS would win.

Which is better? Nicer to use camera (Pentax) or better sensor / lens (Canon)?

Hm... interesting question Chomp - image quality vs usability...

I suppose for me, image quality would be paramount. I mean that's what photography is all about isn't it? Although I suppose, if you produce beautiful pictures but absolutely loathe how the camera works and feels in your hands... Big Grin

Just my opinions, of course, but:

Back wheel vs. top wheel: your fingers will quickly adjust, and ultimately the same functionality is there, just in different places. As an aside, I got to play with a Nikon D100 and found it very intuitive - more so than the Canon. Not sure what the relevance is, but there you go.

LCD display: I have my picture review set to "info" mode, so I get a VERY small picture with a histogram next to it. The histogram is more important to me than the image size, and I do not believe you can effectively judge exposure or other critical info from the small LCD image anyway. While the slightly bigger Pentax LCD is nice, it's not at all essential.

ISO speed: It depends on your shooting needs, but for me ISO 100 is much more important than ISO 3200. Why do you think you'd need ISO 3200 regularly? Do you live in a cave? Big Grin

BUT:

Apparently the DS can use Pentax K, KA, KAF, and KAF2 mount lenses, screw mount lenses, 645, and 67 series lenses (adapter required). So lens selection may be pretty good after all.

The DS has a matte focusing screen in the viewfinder - a real plus if you are doing manual focus work (say for macros.) Why can't Canon do this??? :x

So it's a tough call ...

... or so I thought.

Then I found this in a review:

Steve's Digicams Wrote:The autofocus system is also quite robust, but it is lacking one important feature found on the *ist D - the ability to explicitly select Continuous Autofocus; the only way to activate Continuous Autofocus is to select Moving Object scene mode and accept the other shooting parameters that it imposes.

The XT now has AI Servo mode, the equivalent to Continuous AF, which the prior Rebel only had in "Sports" mode. Pentax took a step backward by doing away with this functionality, while Canon took a step forward.

This would be a deal killer for me. XT wins.
Cool

slejhamer Wrote:The DS has a matte focusing screen in the viewfinder - a real plus if you are doing manual focus work (say for macros.) Why can't Canon do this??? :x

Thank you again for your response. Can you explain the above a bit more? Why is a matte screen better? Will a matte screen (vs clear??) be not as bright?

Upon further reading, it seems that a split-image matte is an optional accessory. Still, that would be a nice focusing aid.

If you scroll down to the Focusing Screen section on this Yashica manual you will get a good understanding of how and why to use a focusing screen:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica_230..._230-2.htm

The benefit should be apparent. I really wish my 10D had one!

Oh I understand now. It makes manual focusing easier, I suppose. Thanks for the explanation.

Well it is good then that the XT has it as an optional accessory.

Hey you can get continuous focus (AI Servo) on the 300D as well but its another firmware hack, it works only in sports mode forcing you into ISO 400 but it also shoots them as RAW rather than JPGs, I popped it onto mine and it works rather well.

I went and put my name down for a 350D today, only $800 after trade-in so I was rather happy, not that I'll get to use it much :/

Hi Jamie

Where did you tarde it in? how does it work this? been looking at this model as Im still trying to chabge to digital Canon. Any advice?

Take care

Christian

Trade in? They give trade ins? Who's "they"? Canon direct? A shop? Where?!?!?

Ebay?!? Big Grin

Photo.net has a review of the *ist DS:

http://photo.net/equipment/pentax/istds/

Hey DPreview have finished their review of the XT/350D:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

Also, if you've missed it, full the *ist DS review was posted about a week back.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistds/

Chomp Wrote:Oh I understand now. It makes manual focusing easier, I suppose. Thanks for the explanation.

Well it is good then that the XT has it as an optional accessory.

The Ds has it also.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

shuttertalk Wrote:Hey DPreview have finished their review of the XT/350D:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

Also, if you've missed it, full the *ist DS review was posted about a week back.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistds/

I don't agree with all of his conclusions though. I think it is better in jpeg mode than he would have you believe.

Albert Einstein

Peted Wrote:I don't agree with all of his conclusions though. I think it is better in jpeg mode than he would have you believe.

What... where.. who?? Big Grin Big Grin

Sorry, Phil Askey I meant and the Ds, can be soft just like many cameras but you guys have seen some of the fairly reasonable shots I have posted, they have all been from jpegs.

I hink the bottom line here is that you would be happy with either camera, does give me the pip a bit though, I may have bought a 350D if they were out when I bought my Ds, or maybe not. Big Grin Rolleyes

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post