Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon?

Ok people , here goes nothin LOL

I have been lookin around at different Canons. And the man at the photo shop ( not giving names out ) really pushed me on a 10D . Now yall know that i have a lot to learn about photography so i think that the camera is a " bit much " for a beginner .
What i need to know is a Rebel XT going to make me " happy " ? ( bad choice of words , and digital SLR will make me happy right now ) . I think what i need to know is it going to give me enough to give me a good nudge in photography? The main reason that i dont shoot more right now is that film can be very agravating , not knowing if " everything is right " . until you get the prints back then there is a big let down .

I think the Rebel XT is very similar to the film camera that i am shooting now and the price is well in my range .

HELP!!!!!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Hey

I have a Rebel XT aka 350D and its an excellent camera, I dont have any quarms about it. The quality of the photos are immense.

An example: http://www.deviantart.com/view/27415266/

The camera comes with "preprogramed" settings like the basic digital cameras and also you can manually override and change the ISO, Shutter Speed and other settings that are at your disposal.

Its a great camera to start with and the lens you purchase will work with other models if you upgrade in the future.

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera , 2gig Scandisk Ultra II CF Card, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Lens, EF 28mm f2.8 Lens Wide Angle, Macro 58mm Lens kit (1+ 2+ 4+ 10+), Hoya 58mm PL-CIR Polariser, Optek PT3900 Pro Series Tripod

Kerridwyn's Photography Gallery

I wonder why he was trying to push a 10D? Although it's a good camera, there have been a few models that have come out since.

Is it brand new or 2nd hand? I've got a suspicion that he might be wanting to clear out some old stock?

IMHO the XT is a very capable camera indeed - you only have to look around these forums to see the very, very good results being produced... Big Grin

Yes it was new , i think that he was tryin to get rid of stock . The thing that got me was that he told me that i wouldnt be happy with the XT . First thing was he never saw me before that day . And he has no idea on what i know and dont know about photography . But the price was very good on the 10d but it had nothing with it. And the XT kit is about the same price and will get me started ( i think LOL )

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Did he say why it wouldn't make you happy?
I've got the XT and I'm in love with it! and the best thing is, with the user-friendly auto options, my hubby (or anyone really) can use it to take snapshots without needing to know terribly much about white balances and stuff.
I loved my film slr, and knew it inside out. Once I upgraded I was instantly familar with the controls (because they were so similar to my old camera), and was able to take great shots, and then later read up on the extra features and learn them as I was going.
I guess that because the XT has so many more features than my film had, (like a higher shutter speed of 1/4000th where my films highest was 1/2000th) I haven't really thought that I wished I'd gotten the 20D (which was my other, more expensive option) for its features which were better than the XT, cos I was too smitten with the new features I got with the XT.
(am I making sense here? I feel like I'm rambling)
Anyway, I guess its harder because the cameras you are looking at are in the same price range. Oh well, either way it won't be long until you have a nice shiny new toy to play with! (Gotta love that feeling!)

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Do you have an investment in Canon lenses? If not - take a hard look at the Nikon D70s (or other Nikons such as D50 or D200).

Banded Drake Wrote:What i need to know is a Rebel XT going to make me " happy " ? ( bad choice of words , and digital SLR will make me happy right now ) . I think what i need to know is it going to give me enough to give me a good nudge in photography?
I'm just back from a meeting with my camera club, where a massive number of people use the XT. It may be the most common single camera. That said, I've never been too impressed by it, but I'm odd.

- Why do you want in a new camera?
- What is your desired output: web, small prints (4x6), large prints (8x10+)?
- In your previous photographic experience, what have your cameras not done that you would like your next one to do?
- Why do you want a DSLR? Are you expecting this to be a one-time expense, or are you looking for an ongoing system-building adventure?

And don't be afraid to consider an older camera, that will give you better build quality and more advanced features, over the latest plastic fantastic megapixel king.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

ok where do i start ??

Quote:Do you have an investment in Canon lenses? If not - take a hard look at the Nikon D70s (or other Nikons such as D50 or D200).
no i do not have any real big investment in any lenses . I do have a few lenses but not enough to make my mind stay with Canon. I havea Canon now and am familiar with it . All the " features " it has .

Quote:- Why do you want in a new camera?
- What is your desired output: web, small prints (4x6), large prints (8x10+)?
- In your previous photographic experience, what have your cameras not done that you would like your next one to do?
- Why do you want a DSLR? Are you expecting this to be a one-time expense, or are you looking for an ongoing system-building adventure?
1 . i really dont care about the " new " in the camera . what i am afraid of is getting a " bad deal " ( been there done that ) .

2 . I want to be able to do a little bit of eveything in printing small and large ( is that an option? ).

3 . I have a Canon EOS 50e right now and i havent found anything that i want it to do that it cant ( i still have so much to learn that i cant answer that right ) .

4. Why DSLR? dont know what you mean . why digital ? i am tired of " screwing " up pictures and not knowing until i get the film developed . I think that i can save money just in film alone , learning to shoot is breaking me just in processing alone . There are a lot of times that just the LCD screen alone could make my pictures better ( instant results ) . If that makes any since /

Banded Drake Wrote:ok where do i start ??
3 . I have a Canon EOS 50e right now and i havent found anything that i want it to do that it cant ( i still have so much to learn that i cant answer that right ) .

4. Why DSLR? dont know what you mean . why digital ? i am tired of " screwing " up pictures and not knowing until i get the film developed . I think that i can save money just in film alone , learning to shoot is breaking me just in processing alone . There are a lot of times that just the LCD screen alone could make my pictures better ( instant results ) . If that makes any since /
I would have thought that the "DSLR" was self explanitory being that he has had a Film based SLR camera and can reuse the lenses?

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera , 2gig Scandisk Ultra II CF Card, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Lens, EF 28mm f2.8 Lens Wide Angle, Macro 58mm Lens kit (1+ 2+ 4+ 10+), Hoya 58mm PL-CIR Polariser, Optek PT3900 Pro Series Tripod

Kerridwyn's Photography Gallery

The 50E looks like a tough camera to beat; I have to say that pretty much any DSLR (that costs less than a decent used car) will probably be a step down.

I was thinking that if you aren't carrying a large lens inventory, and don't want to build one, that the Sony R1 might be a decent idea. It's in the Rebel price range, and can give you nice big prints... if you can live with the electronic viewfinder and fixed lens. (it's the SLR part I was wondering if you could live without -- not getting the digital part never even occurred to me.) But again, coming from a good film camera, I wouldn't expect an EVF to be acceptable.

At my club, there's been a revival of interest in the Fuji S2pro. It's relatively easy to find used, and while it's certainly not the latest and greatest, it's a great camera for the money. Naturally, it takes Nikon lenses, which aren't what you have...

That's it, I'm stumped.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Banded Drake Wrote:I think the Rebel XT is very similar to the film camera that i am shooting now and the price is well in my range .
That is correct - they have many similarities. Keep in mind that the XT has only a 0.8x viewfinder; I believe the 50E's is larger, and you might find this an annoyance. I would.

Also, despite what the salesperson said, the XT is in most ways a modest upgrade from the 10D. Its low-light AF performance is so-so, even with very fast lenses, but it does have ETTL-II flash metering, a plus.

Besides all the technical features you are considering, I think it would be good to consider what camera you feel more comfortable with... We have the 350D and the D70... both are great cameras, both have given us great pictures... I use the D70 and I feel really comfortable with it... I wouldn't change it for the 350D... I find it smaller and lighter and I think I lose a bit of stability... maybe it is just and idea or to get used to... but I like my heavy camera, and if it were heavier it would be best...

I used to take pictures with a FZ20 panasonic... it has EVF... I was perfectly happy with it, because I didn't have any previous experience with cameras, I could take macros through the VF and I had no problem... I just started taking pictures with the D70, and two weeks later I was unable to see through the EVF... I have to use now the screen if I want to take pictures with that camera....

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I dont mind putting money into a bunch of lenses thats not the problem , money is LOL . I just like the way my 50E is and to be honest i havent looked at many other cameras. Just like Irma said i like the " feal " of the cameras. And i like the fact that i can still use the few lenses that i have and know . There are a few more lenses that i want but i think that i need the camera more then the lenses next .

Quote:Keep in mind that the XT has only a 0.8x viewfinder; I believe the 50E's is larger, and you might find this an annoyance. I would
I dont know what the viewfinder is on the 50e and didnt think about that . maybe i need to check into that . If the XT is smaller am i going to have a hard time getting used to it ?

You might get used to it after a while I suppose.

If you can, try it out in a store... I think you might be surprised how small in size the XT really is.. Big Grin

A second hand 20D perhaps?

I think I would vote for the 350XT if it was between that and the 10D.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:A second hand 20D perhaps?

I think I would vote for the 350XT if it was between that and the 10D.

Cheers,

Chris
i wouldnt mind a used 20d at all . but i do not know enough about the cameras to know if i am getting a good deal or not.

not trying to beat this in the ground but i really do not want to get something that im not going to like ( at this point i would prob. be happy with anything LOL ) .

G’day Shawn,

I have played with the 20D and the D70 they "feel" more solid than my 350D and I would love either one of them.
I went with the 350D on budget. It is a great camera and if I leave the others alone I am very happy.
I know I will upgrade the 350D one day but until then I plan to collect some lenes. I think this is what you have to keep in mind when choosing a DSLR. “Which way you want to go” You will change the body over time but you don't want to have to buy lenes every time. I think you would be happy with anything that is in this topic.
How much will you use it?
The more you use it the more you should spend.

Good luck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post