Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Car mechanic

Hey guys! 
I shot this some years ago, but still would love to hear your thoughts!

[Image: HomeP%20(4).jpg]

Shot using Nikon D90, lens 12-24 Tokina (at 12mm), Aperture open as much as possible. with ISO and shutterspeed adjusted to still have enough light to see surroundings but have a bit of movement in the hand. 
One off-camera light used: Nikon Speedlight - strobist style on tripod high from left with warm gel and a grit to point exactly on the face.
The warm gel is there to make his face real warm; but if you use RAW editor you can bring the colourtemperature to cold so all the surroundings which are grey with normal colourtemperature become all blue. 

Let me know what you think!

First impressions are, a blue cast, and a bit contrasty? Ed.

To each his own!

I would have few mentions:
-Light on subject is great but there is a bit too much black in the picture, not helping with storytelling
-shooting at the wide end distorted the objects on the sides of the frame, it might be what you intended, i do not know
-I like the blue colour cast, it works great for this type of machanical,automotive thing, but it takes too much, i would have changed the colour cast of the machanic jacket to a complementary colour
Regards,
Robert

A good action shot with that bit of motion blur in the hands. Additionally to points already made, it looks as though you might have excluded the bright distraction top left, by a slight change of your shooting position.

Cheers.
Philip

(Apr 26, 2017, 14:33)EdMak Wrote:  First impressions are, a blue cast, and a bit contrasty?  Ed.
Yes,  I was shooting a lot of technical professions at that time and so a lot of 'grey' interiors which I prefer to give some color by playing with the color temperature. Apparently blue is the color of technique, as some people told me at least. But you are right; maybe I overdo the blue and the contrast a bit. I like it, but I can imagine its somewhat overdone for some people.

(Apr 27, 2017, 01:47)RobertMurariu Wrote:  I would have few mentions:
-Light on subject is great but there is a bit too much black in the picture, not helping with storytelling
-shooting at the wide end distorted the objects on the sides of the frame, it might be what you intended, i do not know
-I like the blue colour cast, it works great for this type of machanical,automotive thing, but it takes too much, i would have changed the colour cast of the machanic jacket to a complementary colour
Regards,
Robert
- You mean the black in the engine? You might be right; as there is almost no view in it. However I might have done that in post-process; i need to find the original Wink
- Not necessarily intended, the distortion is because of the wide angle which I love to give a bit more 'you're right in the middle' effect. There is not really a story to be told here; its a commercial image; one of those images used for the banner of their website. Its more about the feeling of the picture and to make them stand out in contrast with their competitors.
- Thank you, I guess you're right. Now I look at it again I can agree that the blue is a bit overdone. Its not just the subjects face that needs to be normal color; would've been better as the jacket would be as well. In that case I should've used a different flash modifier. Not a grid, but perhaps a reflective umbrella..? How would you have lit it? Smile

(Apr 27, 2017, 04:22)MrB Wrote:  A good action shot with that bit of motion blur in the hands.  Additionally to points already made, it looks as though you might have excluded the bright distraction top left, by a slight change of your shooting position.

Cheers.
Philip
A sloppy one from my side, you are right! Maybe I can still fix that in post-production but would've been better if I would've adjusted the angle while shooting..  Smile

Don't know about Gel, Grids, Grits, and the like, trained B & W, in the 50's.

How far away is this from what you recall, hair colour, jacket colour. Ed.

To each his own!

I like it, love the motion in the ratchet hand. I might have brought the light down a little in the top left, but I don't think it matters that much.

When I worked for a Honda Dealership I tried many times to get this type of shot for the website, wasn't easy!

(Apr 27, 2017, 07:13)EdMak Wrote:  Don't know about Gel, Grids, Grits, and the like, trained B & W, in the 50's.

How far away is this from what you recall, hair colour, jacket colour. Ed.

Sorry Ed, his skin looks like he was running for president, way too orange.

No need to apologize Craig acceptable on my Laptop, not yet seen on Desktop monitor, easily remedied. Ed.

To each his own!