Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assignment #85: Stability

Thank you for your support.
- Stan Jones, Bozeman, Montana

For the first time, this assignment isn't about your camera, it's about what you put under it. For the next two weeks, let's get back to basics and good practice, and always use some sort of camera support. It doesn't matter if it's a tripod, monopod, or a beanbag, the idea is that we don't relent from proper procedure until it becomes second nature. Speed and convenience is for snapshots, not photographers: do it right.

And we'll see if it helps.

So for the next two weeks, really really really try to use a tripod, monopod, or some other support whenever you use your camera. Night or daylight, street or landscape, use a support for the advantages it gives you with sharpness and composition. Use this thread to share your favourite photos and experiences with this particular challenge.

Thanks for your support!

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Good idea for an assignment.

I have found that a convenient bench or pole or fence etc is the first thing I look for when not carrying a tripod or monopod.
Even with IS, a solid place to put the camera is always better than hand-held.

I've had a couple of busy days, shooting about 1100 frames. I probably took 75% of them with a monopod, and used some other support for half of the rest - I was shooting through or over fences a lot - but haven't used my tripod at all. I've found that my monopod really does give me a significant advantage over hand-held without most of the time and weight penalties of a tripod. I think this is going to be my permanent way of working, to the point where I'm considering bringing my monopod (for days) and tripod (nights) when I visit the in-laws for Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks.

Now my challenge is going to be unlearning the habit of taking two or five frames of everything, because I'm so used to shooting multiples in order to increase the chance of getting one that's in focus and with the composition that I want.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

My camera is rarely off the monopod. The tripod gets used rarely these days.

I also use a lot my monopod for my outdoor photography, specially when I take my macro or telephoto lenses. I have got great pictures with very slow shutter speed thanks to that. I use my tripod mainly for long exposure, and studio (still life) photography.

My only complain about using either monopod or tripod is that my pictures lose a bit the intrepid, surprising, I wouldn't know how to explain unexpected view/angle in my pictures as one is a bit stuck. Somehow, one loses a bit of freedom to move.

However, for this assignment I took this one with the elbows/belly combo on the ground... Wink

[Image: IMG_3586-Edit.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Resting on a pillar. The ones with a rope between to keep out the undesireables.

York Railway Museum...A bit dark inside..so a longer exposure.

[Image: choo%20choo.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Me again huh. so soon. Big Grin

I edged nearer and nearer taking the tripod with me.
1. Lesser Redpoll
2. Lesser Redpoll
3. Bullfinch
4. Bluetit

Attached Files Image(s)

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Dec 12, 2016, 17:26