Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chinese News Agency busted for publishing doctored photo

Not sure who's at fault here - the photographer or the news agency, but this "top 10 photo of the year" was discovered to be 'shopped after some close scrutiny from fans...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120363429707884255.html?

Quote:In late 2006, Mr. Liu's picture was declared a top 10 "photo of the year" by CCTV, China's state-run television network. Mr. Liu appeared in fatigues on national TV and described waiting in a pit for eight days for the antelope to pass at precisely the same moment as the train.

"I wanted to capture the harmony among the Tibetan antelope, the train, men and nature," he told the audience, standing on stage in front of a big projection of the photo.
Then...

Quote:Suspicions about the photo became public last week after Mr. Liu's photograph was displayed in Beijing's subway system. An anonymous Chinese Internet user going by the screen name Dajiala raised questions about the photo's authenticity on one of China's largest photography Web sites. Dajiala, a photographer who claimed to idolize Mr. Liu, said he was studying a copy of the photo posted on Beijing's Line 5 subway platform when he rubbed some dust off it and noticed something odd.

"At the bottom of the photograph, there was a very obvious line," he wrote. "I examined it very carefully and it was obviously the stitching of two different images....Was this decisive moment just a simple Photoshop trick?"
Busted!

shuttertalk Wrote:Not sure who's at fault here - the photographer or the news agency,
Jules, we all know exactly who is at fault.
Wink

I'm not surprised. I know my students are stuffed with propaganda, there is no "news" as we know it in China.

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59