Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Christmas Pressies

Just wondering - do you usually prefer a surprise for a present, or would you rather get the stuff that you want? Usually I like surprises and when people ask me what I want I just ask them to surprise me. This year however, my wife and I have agreed upon and decided what gifts we're going to give each other!

Well she's going to get a 30g iPod (video) and I'll get a shiatsu massage cushion. And we can share! Big Grin

Anyway, I can't wait until Christmas... (even though I know what I'm going to get already) Big Grin

What's on your wish list? Or on your shopping list?

Both of those would go over well in my house.
We tried the shiatsu cushion at a store last week, and it took all our concentration not to start going "ooooohhh" and drooling in public.

I like little surprises, but anything expensive should be discussed a bit first.
My preference is BestBuy gift cards.
It's worked well the last two years, and I still need some items for my computer and digital workflow like a faster card reader that supports more formats.

I plan to buy jewelry for my girlfriend this year, and she'll be surprised since I have never done that before. (Call me unromantic, but the truth is that she has so much jewelry already that we're considering selling more than half of her collection--and she'll still have more than most women!)

I went out shopping today, which is nothing new, but I actually had some success with christmas shopping for other people. I found some nice ear-rings and a box of tea that my girlfriend might like. I still have a few things to get for her; an art book, down-filled slippers, and a framed photograph of her brother (who's in Australia and won't be visiting for the holidays) being high on the list. The photo would be great, since I doubt she even knows that I have his e-mail address.

The Rest Of The Family are getting calendars. My brother, father, and stepmother are all getting calendars with pictures of my nieces. On the GF side, her brother-in-law and wife (who we got in the gift exchange) just had their first baby, so that's going to be easy. Calendars! Kinko's (copy place) does a really nice job and they're quite reasonable. I'm also giving the BiL a nice framed print, done professionally so that it really will be archival quality. With luck, a few good baby photos will still be treasured long after the photographer is gone.

In years past, I'd generally have any presents for me picked out and bought long before the occasion. It was the way of justifying big expenses. This year, with a change in management, my wish list includes books of photography and a couple of DVDs. Simple stuff, and nothing too expensive, because when there's serious money involved my tastes get very particular. ("Santa, I'd like a 72mm ExpoDisc and a slim-line B&W 72mm CP filter with a 52-72mm step-up ring...")

After christmas, I'll probably buy a TV. I'd buy it now, and not wait for any more holiday sales, but there's nothing to watch but christmas shows.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Just got back from my Christmas shopping trip to Newcastle, the shopping centre is being redeveloped and there is not enough parking so had to park a couple of streets away. Made 2 trips back to the car with parcels before I called it a day. Love shopping for my family and seeing the pleasure on their faces ( well, most times I get it right) my husband is not able to shop on his own any longer so he justs sighs and hands over his Visa card and I buy what I want for myself, so far I have resisted the temptation to buy diamonds Big Grin

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I have all my Xmas shopping done already - but can't say anything in case certain people are online...

However, I did order my Dad a branding iron from a Texas company featuring his personally designed consulting logo. He can brand steaks or wood or just hang it on the wall.. Got to admit that it is personal and thoughtful, yes? (even if fairly useless)

I think that is pretty cool for a Xmas gift...

My wife does most of the family and friends shopping, usually I go with her though. I shop for my wife's gifts and try to get her things I know she'll enjoy. I do buy her some clothes at Christmas time if they're the wrong size she will exchange them, she does like my choices. For me it's surprises from my son's family and also some surprises from my wife. I do supply hints such as a certain type shirt that I'd like to have but the camera and computer related gifts, well no surprise here, I order them and ask her to wrap them when they arrive at the door. I do buy specialty gifts for my son when it involves our race car or his motorcycle.

Rene

To be heard, you must be seen.

We normally talk about Christmas presents all year long... but when it comes the time, we decide which of the list we really want to have. This year I knew G wanted a lense so he will have it, we ordered it yesterday...

I will get a nice winter jacket. I want to buy one made of that camouflage cloth to shoot birdies in winter... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

The wife and I agreed on a new computer for photo and video editing. The surprise will be how the 3.2 GHz dual-core performs as opposed to the old 800MHz P-III.

We're having a helluva time finding a stocking, though.

digitalzen Wrote:The wife and I agreed on a new computer for photo and video editing. The surprise will be how the 3.2 GHz dual-core performs as opposed to the old 800MHz P-III.

We're having a helluva time finding a stocking, though.
I know this is off the topic, but in your new computer are you getting an Intel cpu (I don't think AMD puts out the dual core cpu.What kind of graphic card are you putting in?The Intel mother-board is one of the most stable.I know the graphic card is important for video editing,cause when I loaded Pinnacle Studio v.10 on mine.It said I couldn't do any 3D rendering cause my card was too small.
It sounds like a Christmas gift you both will enjoy.
Lorraine

BeaglesToo Wrote:I know this is off the topic, but in your new computer are you getting an Intel cpu (I don't think AMD puts out the dual core cpu.
A bit offtopic too, but AMD have the X2 dual core CPUs now, although the Intels are supposed to be faster. Smile

I love surprises. This year I will get a mixture of surprises and things chosen by me.
The things chosen by me so far include my nifty fifty (present from my wife, now boxed and wrapped and not to be used until the 25th). Two remote switches rc1 and rc60-e3 (also boxed and wrapped and not to be used until the 25th). A 40" lcd hdready tv and stand to suit. Arrived today now unpacked and tying myself in knots with the instructions, and that's just for analogue viewing.:mad: Not really a present but to both of us, as my last tv was bought in 1992.
My wife wants a shower and I am an absolute shower.Big Grin So it's off to B&Q for a set of taps combined with shower and then do a bit of plumbing.
Mother in Law is getting nothing, as she hasn't used last years present yet. ( A plot in the garden of rest.Big Grin)
We do calendars for family as extras, with photo's taken by us on them, and print our own.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Quote:Mother in Law is getting nothing, as she hasn't used last years present yet. ( A plot in the garden of rest.
Big Grin I take it thats she wont read this Big Grin

I have my new PC plus monitor and loving it( I can play with lightroom now) even if I do have to share.......my wife has her new bedroom suite (I get to share that). Then there is body boards, ipods etc for the kids.........its a big year Rolleyes not what we were expecting Big Grin I still have to find a little suprise for my wife and I live in hope that I just might get one as well......still a kid at heart

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Dec 24, 2019, 17:40