Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Church and Business Development

I hear an advertisement on our Christian Radio station occasionally about a MAJOR church group advertising cash investment accounts with high returns etc. Obviously they're getting something out of it...

I'm slightly bothered -- was the church put on earth to build wealth or to reach out to people? I suppose it depends on what purpose they're doing it for... If they're genuinely raising funds for community need or to develop a missions program or something similar then I guess that's ok. If it's just for their own coffers or to line pews with gold leaf then :x

What do you think?

I'm always highly skeptical with anything that promises high returns. In the world of business, high returns always entail high risks. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is.

I don't have anything against Christians advertising financial services and investment opportunities, but I think a 30-second ad on a radio can never fully cover all the risks inherent in an investment opportunity. Having a disclaimer that says something like "consult with your financial advisor first" would be the conscionable thing to do, but as they say: time is money in advertising...

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Hey I totally agree regarding warnings, buyer beware etc., and also regarding Christians doing business and advertising -- that's part of life.

I was more concerned (maybe I didn't make it clear enough Wink) about a major church group engaging in commercial activities. I mean, has the church run out of things to do already - now they're turning to generating wealth? What about Jesus and the moneylenders in the temple?

Ahhh! Sorry - I shouldn't skim... hehe...

Hmmm. Yeah, I see what you mean. But how is that different from say sales of music albums produced by a church (ala Hillsong)? I'm sure they make a killing from the CD sales at $29.95 retail....

I can see that worship is at least a church-related event though, as opposed to financial investment. For me it all boils down to the motive for doing so, and how they pitch it to people.

The Bible talks about money more than it does any other subject and I believe that the Bible has many wise things to say about how we deal with money, so if a church can present to the world a Christian business model that is run with integrity, then I don't see the problem. Why should churches not be the ones who prosper financially?

I'm with you ST. It feels a bit odd, doesnt it?

How long does it take for business to become the motivating factor in the church? How long before competition causes an imperfect organisation to bend it's own rules?
What is the purpose of the church, what image should it portray?

I understand Axeman, and do agree in part But I doubt the ideal business model could last, even if it could exist in the first place.

Cave canem

Yeah, the cynic in me agrees with you Roo...

Money, like power has a way of corrupting people...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
May 21, 2017, 10:52
Last Post by NT73
Feb 1, 2007, 07:36