Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Circular Croppng

Can someone point me to software that does a circular crop?[attachment=7051][attachment=7052]

I've read that you can do in in Office, but I failed to comprehend and excecute this approach

You can crop to a circle in Photoshop, but no matter how you crop to a circular format, it will only save as a circular crop if you save it as a file type that supports transparency, PNG or GIF.

(Jun 19, 2017, 09:45)EnglishBob Wrote:  You can crop to a circle in Photoshop, but no matter how you crop to a circular format, it will only save as a circular crop if you save it as a file type that supports transparency, PNG or GIF.

Thanks.  I haven't use 'Shop for many years andmy version is a very early one.

Other editors will work the same way. a circular crop isn't actually a round image, it is a round layer on a transparent background.

Assuming you want an image circle with a white background, like this:
To do this in Lightroom:
1. Crop & Straighten Tool: Crop to square/rectangle, so circular image is in center of the square/rectangle.
2. Post-Crop Vignetting: Slide sliders to produce desired effect. These settings might get you close.
Lightroom can produce a white or black vignette like this. If you need a different color of background, a transparent background, or better control of the circular shape, then a pixel editor (such as Photoshop) would be the appropriate tool.

(Jun 19, 2017, 06:07)WDHewson Wrote:  Can someone point me to software that does a circular crop?

I've read that you can do in in Office, but I failed to comprehend and excecute this approach
If you have Photoshop then you can use the Magic Wand tool to select the coin.
Then use Select, Inverse to select the background and then use the Background Removal tool.

Shoot this again, no shadows, crisp, well defined edge, standing out against chosen background. P/S wand will then find the edge all round, and segregate easily to give as you want. Ed.

To each his own!

If you have Photoshop, you can easily do this.
In this process:
1. Open your file in Photoshop
2. In the Background layer and make it a Normal layer.
3. Select the Elliptical Marquee Tool
4. Create the circle
5. Inverse the layer
6. Delete the outer layers
7. Crop your image to save

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post