Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

City n Guilds work.

Hi peeps. i have decided to concentrate on landscape views. so here is the first image. this a view of the 'Beck' canal in Beverley East Riding. a lovely heritage town of Yorkshire.

Attached Files Image(s)

the second is of Beverley Minster from a distance, i took this shot in black nwhite. i thought it was more suited. extremely windy day and over cast but worth the walk along the canal.

Attached Files Image(s)

the third is of the swans at pitsford, i have changed the position of 1 of the swans from the original shot,

Attached Files Image(s)

the forth is of Scarborough beach again i chose black n white because i thought it appropriate for the shot, and i chose a slow shutter because i wanted the silky stream.

Attached Files Image(s)

the 5th is Filey beach, 1 of my influences is the f/64 group and i wanted to produce a similar image but in colour., everything in focus from front to back, giving it great depth.

Attached Files Image(s)

the last image is of the lighthouse and peir at Scarborough beach, again the f/64 group had influence on this shot.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thinking back to my own City and Guilds portfolio, I am sure they are all ok, as base images. You do have some dust on the sensor, which needs cleaning and cloning out of the images. Did you actually allow the camera to record the B&W image? You can always do better in post production processing. I think the only weak image is the swans. But that’s just me.

i did use the camera's own BnW settings for the beverley minster shot. at the time of the image taken i didn't know any better lol. but the scarborough beach is pp. im not to sure about the swans either but i keep putting them in with my final few??!! just something about the church tower in the distance i did take another shot from a greater distance of the swans but prefer this 1.

I agree with Dean - I think you have some specs of dust either on the sensor, or on the lens. A bit of scrubbing down will do wonders. If you can remove the specs from the 5th picture, it'll be perfect! It's already my favorite.

The fifth picture has a lot of sky and cliffs will which will always be problematic for calculating exposure. Your camera has averaged out the exposure to produce an overall lightness of 18% - this means the sky is bright and the cliffs are dark - particularly towards the right-hand edge of the picture.

I would have exposed for the beach and used exposure lock (how will depend on your camera) and then re-composed the picture. You could do the same by dialling in plus one stop exposure compensation. This would have made for over bright sky but well exposed cliffs.

If you don't like over-bright skies, you could take two pictures from a tripod, one exposed for the sky and one exposed for the land and then combine them in PP.

As far as compostion is concerned, it is quite good apart from those dust bunnies in the sky.

Pic one is too small to evaluate

Pic two needs a bit more contrast brightness

Pic three has some lovely background colours, have you one with the background sharp straighten the water!!

Pic four needs brightness and contrast adjustment

Pic five needs equalized and warmed up a bit
Pic six is close but again warming up and brighting helps

My thoughts, you are pleasing a Tutor, and probably, no one else!! Ed.

As I see them, https://app.box.com/s/9iq3nmskqxz3a967swnf

I thought Funkymunky's colour pictures were already a bit too bright and saturated!

(Nov 25, 2013, 11:22)John M Wrote:  I thought Funkymunky's colour pictures were already a bit too bright and saturated!
My versions (I cannot get them quite as I would like them as the posted files are too small): note to Funkymunky - photography is an art, not a science hence no right answers, just opinions.

[Image: 0641625743b52894ecefabb88242f20fadb564e7_r.jpg]

[Image: 1e2368fa5ca241dfb98b20f49617ee98c2aa33c3_r.jpg]

[Image: f3a2638598433b5e2289d6e10e8c891cc751c493_r.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Mar 11, 2017, 16:07
Last Post by MrB
Feb 16, 2016, 12:16
Last Post by Jocko
Jan 29, 2016, 02:30