Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Color Space

How many of you shoot in aRGB mode and process in Adobe 1998?

I understand that most printing locations use sRGB as the standard, but I have just gone through quite a steep learning curve on color space etc.

Originally I was shooting in sRGB and processing in sRGB, however many, and I mean many folks feel it is better to shoot and process with a larger gamut and then convert to the sRGB for prinring.

Your thoughts?

PS I am willing to share the zillions of pages of knowledge i have received in the past few days.

Jerry

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

I use aRGB and Adobe 1998. It is far superior to sRGB.

Ah Jerry.
I've been following your progress on that other forum, and have my own, personal, dog-like, probably contraversial opinions...............

Here we go:

Dont bother. If it looks good, it IS good. This is a visual "art" after all.
Unless you intend to become involved in pro-publications, it just isnt worth the hassle.

Cave canem

Well, I have to agree that if it was a lot of hassel - I probably wouldn't use it - the primary value of aRGB is for printing.

My A2 supports aRGB natively, and so all I had to do was to set it up as my Photoshop default - so it wasn't any hassel for me. Not sure that I would bother doing a lot of conversions though if it were a manual process.

I haven't decided if its a big enough hassle yet, but the word I have been getting is that its better to start off with a larger color space in both camera and in processing which should translate into a somewhat better shot even when converted to sRGB for printing. I don't print anything myself, its all done by a semi-pro lab.

My d70 has an aRGB mode so its not a huge hassle for me either. All that is required is to convert to sRGB for printing (saving the original in aRGB of course). This isn't a huge deal as I don't print hundreds of photos at a time.

However, I am sure that for a wedding or something, one could batch convert if necessary.

I haven't entered the realm of RAW yet, and get conflicting opinions on this as well, depending on who you talk to (magazine editors included - some swear by RAW, others don't see a huge difference and feel they get as good a result with a high quality jpeg.

I just wrote an action for resizing and saving for the web (portrait and landscape). What a big difference this has made!

Question though... when I save an item it gives me 3 format options:
1. Baseline (standard)
2. Baseline Optimized
3. Progressive (with the option to change the scans number - it defaults to 3)

Which should i be using? Does it matter?

Also, it has another box at the bottom titled Size and lists the size in a kbps figure. I understand this to be kilobytes per second but I have the option of 14.4 kbps all the way through to 2 mbps.

What the heck should it be on? Does it matter?

I shoot in Adobe RGB and then print in it and send discs to the lab in that format, I can't say whether it is better or worse than the images shot in sRGB beforehand.

If it 'aint broke...

Jerry:

Go to RAW!!! - all secrets will be revealed. It wil be enlighteing. Come towards the light....formats are irrelvant - save in the format you want after - it is simple - take one picture in RAW - move forwards - RAW RAW RAW RAW...

Baseline Optimized.

RAW is good.,

Hey Mitch, if I save in Baseline Optimized, will there be a problem printing with my lab? Some folks indicated that there might be.

PS. Rob, Capture 4.whatever its at now is on my list of software to buy this week. lol. Time to move closer to the dark sde.

There should not be a problem printing Baseline Optimized jpegs as long as your lab's printer drivers are current (as in, post-2000.) However, there may be a problem printing from a Progressive jpeg. Check with your lab to be sure, but I've never had a problem printing my Optimized jpegs.

According to the good folks at Dry Creek:

Quote:If you are saving the file as a jpeg, use one of the "Baseline" format options. The "Standard" option works with all Printers. Support for the "Optimized" baseline format requires newer printer drivers. The Optimized format gives improved color rendition and smaller file size. The "Progressive" scan option will not print on most Frontier and Noritsu machines. Also, do not use the JPEG2000 format; this is not recognized by most current printer driver versions.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontier/us...ofiles.pdf

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jogesh12345
Jun 26, 2019, 23:56