Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Commonly used settings

Hello. I am getting to know my camera still and reading the manual still. I wonder what settings people use?

White balance (Auto, Custom, ...):
Metering mode (Matrix, Centre, Spot):
Focus Mode (AF, Manual):
Exposure Mode (Auto, Program, Av, Tv, Manua,l, Scene):
ISO Sensitivity:
Sharpening:

I know you should always use largest file size and highest quality.

I tend to leave WB well alone on Auto... and correct in post processing if needed, which is rarely.
No choice on metering
I tend to shoot a few shots auto, then switch to manual for fien tuning... wildlife is nearly always auto.
I mostly shoot TV, other than for close ups when I switch to AV for DOF
ISO: 100, occasionally 400 in lower light.
Sharpening: None in camera.

G'day shutterfreak... nice name! Big Grin

White balance (Auto, Custom, ...): Auto
Metering mode (Matrix, Centre, Spot): Matrix
Focus Mode (AF, Manual): AF
Exposure Mode (Auto, Program, Av, Tv, Manua,l, Scene): Program
ISO Sensitivity: 200 (camera default)
Sharpening: Normal

My cam offers a program shift for the exposure mode, so I can select the right aperture I need for DOF. I switch to Tv when shooting low light or fast action stuff. Other than that, pretty much auto everything.

White balance (Auto, Custom, ...): Depends on the scene. In mixed lighting I use auto or custom if I have something neutral from which I can get a reading, but otherwise I try to match the camera setting to the light.

Metering mode (Matrix, Centre, Spot): Depends on the scene. Matrix (what Canon calls "evaluative") for most.

Focus Mode (AF, Manual): AF, except for macros where manual can help.

Exposure Mode (Auto, Program, Av, Tv, Manua,l, Scene): Av, Tv, Manual, sometimes P for flash work: depends on the scene. Smile When I first started out I used P as my default, but quickly found it very limiting. If you're shooting children or a dog running around, you'll want a faster shutter so use Tv. If you're shooting a landscape you'll want to control depth of field so use Av.

ISO Sensitivity: Depends on the scene. Big Grin Generally the lowest setting. But sometimes it's the lowest setting possible that allows for good exposure. I'll often use ISO 800 for low-light shots; with DSLRs the noise is not a problem.

Sharpening: None in-camera.

I know you should always use largest file size and highest quality. I use RAW.

Ditto with what Mitch said.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

I think I like the scene modes the best. Simple - you just twist the dial to the mode and shoot. No need to worry about the little letters and numbers.

My camera even has night mode so I can capture photos in total darkness!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post