Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Complementary colours

Here's a tip which I've used a couple of times - if you've got a photo and want to find some complimentary colours (e.g. for a frame/mat or designing a website colour scheme incorporating that image):

1. Open up image
2. Use pixellate / mosiac filter, with large radius ~ 20px
3. There be your colour palette!

Hope it's useful! Big Grin

I knew you had posted something about this and I needed to know how to do it... I googled the topic and I found nothing useful.

I like a lot your technique and it is so easy...

The thing is that when I do this with my image I get more than 300 colors... Is it the same effect if I resize the picture to a 25% of the original size, and then do this technique to have the complementary colors?

A belated "Thanks a lot... Smile"

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I think it would be the same... either that, or increase the radius size. In either case you're just averaging out the colours more.

What have you got planned for the photo?

Thanks Jules, with the original size and the max radious I got 300 colors, I resized it, and I got a nice 20 color palette... Smile

With G working with watercolor paintings now, colors is "the topic" at home. While painters have to create their own environment based in their knowledge of colors, photographers have to have also certain knowledge about colors to know whether the colors in any given picture work or not, and if not change them to improve the picture.

Web and graphic designers make great use of their knowledge about colors in their photography, and I thought that we, as amateur photographers, need to know how to work with them.

Then I remembered to have read something about complementary colors in web design when I buit up my site, and your post here.

What I think you get when you only pixalate your image is a color schema/palette from the image to get harmonious colors, but not the complementary colors. You will get the complementary colors of the image if you first invert the colors of the image and then pixelate the image. And here is what I don't understand and I am confused... In web design are called complementary colors the colors taken from an image?

Anyway, based on all this reading about colors, I made a little experiment in my most recient picture of the bird. It could be insignificant, but it was very interesting the response of the viewers. My picture was a success just by working with complementary colors. The background of the bird was an orange color from the brick wall. The picture was nice but the bird didn't stand out, so I looked for a color that complemented better the green-yellow of the bird and it was kind of purple. I changed the color of the background and my picture looked perfect. A lot of people mentioned the colors in the picture.

Of course I don't want to say that if your picture doesn't have complementary colors, it won't work. There are also very interesting pictures with only harmonious colors that are great pictures, but in that case some other features play an important role, like shapes and textures. I also have already experimented on this with my green picture in Matt's assignment with single color.

Will all this about colors help me in the field to improve my photography in my landscapes, in my nature pictures, portrait or still life work?... Well, I really hope so... I will be taking a color workshop with G at the beginning of March, it is for painters, but they never said it wasn't for photographers, so.... I'll be there. The teacher is a professional painter with 30 years experience, and she said after the workshop, colors will talk to us... Let's see.... Smile

For those who might be interested about colors in photography, here you have two articles I read about colors, and found them interesting.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutori...eory.shtml

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Com...aphy/21923

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne