Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Concert Photography

I was at a concert 2 weeks ago and had my d70 with me. I took a lot of shots. I did everything hand held, and mostly without flash. I have 2 pictures here the first no flash, but at ISO 1600. The second I used the flash and dropped the ISO down to 400 or 800 I can't remember exactly. My question is what would you all of done?

[Image: dc%20no%20flash.jpg]

[Image: 4_dc%20flash.jpg]

Teddy

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

I'd have tried no flash because I'd want to capture the stage lighting hitting the subjects.

But someone here - Toad? - posted some concert shots using fill flash and they were pretty effective.

How'd you get into a concert with your D70?

I agree that no flash is optimum for concerts. In my case, the stage was very dimly lit, and the band members moved very fast.

Was the flash lighting good? No.

Was the action capture good? Yes

With good light I would have done it differently. You need to appraise your situation each time, I think.

Concert/Band photography is a pretty tricky situation for lighting, I don't know that there is a right answer that would suit. Distance seems to be a problem here though Teddy, I would have gotten in closer and made both shots portrait rather than landscape.

As I gave Toad grief last time I'm sure he can give it back for this shot, 1/100 f2.8 ISO800 with about 1/32 fill on the 550EX, no idea what GN that would equal out too offhand.

[Image: CRW_3845.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post