Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

D40x, incompatible AF-S lens?

I have an issue that is driving me a bit batty. I've researched nikonusa, nikonimaging, nikon-image, dcviews, amazon.com, sigma4less, preferredphoto, digitalreview.ca. slrgear, and at least that many more sites.

I recently ordered a Nikon zoom wide angle-telephoto 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED AF-S lens. The focal length range is exactly what I wanted (36-127.5mm digital) in the mid range. My camera is a D40x.

The lens is still in transit, but while stumbling around looking for accessories, I found a comment at sigma4less that the lens Will NOT work with Nikon D40/D40x Digital SLR Camera. I tried to quiz them about the comment but they gave me a telephone number at Nikon, which I intend to use tomorrow (unfortunately, the Nikon office is closed today for training). The lens was introduced in 2002 for use in both film and digital cameras (the F5 and D100 were mentioned). The D100 sensor is almost exactly the same size as the sensor in the D40x.

Does anyone have any information about this lense and why it might not work in the D40/D40x?

Thank you.

Hm... I was under the impression that the D40/X could use AF-S lenses... (in fact could only use AF-S lenses)

I found this thread on steve's digicams:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums...orum_id=66
looks like it's in the list...

Maybe the commenter on sigma4less was referring to a non-AF-S (AF) version?

Hope that helps...

After talking with a Nikon techrep, I think that someone at sigma4less made an error on their web page. If there was a compatibililty problem, Nikon would know about it, and surely other vendors would be aware of it. My one thought is that someone saw an older list of compatible lenses (pre-D40), and assumed that the 40's wouldn't work because they weren't on the list. Whatever, I'll know for sure next week when the lens arrives.

Thanks for your help and the link.

Just to wrap up this topic, I received the lens on Monday this week, and used it Tuesday to photograph a diecast model. It worked as advertised, no problems, and took good, sharp pictures. The build quality is excellent, the mount is made of metal (stainless steel?), and the lens has the heft of a solidly constructed optical instrument. Very pleased.

However, I will always wonder about that statement ("Will NOT work with D40 or D40x cameras"). Why?

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images..._333_8.jpg

Thanks for the update. I was hoping that would be the case, and I'm glad it worked out.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55