Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

D70 Flash

G'Day all,

The built in flash in my D70 has always been able to provide all the fill-in I've needed up until now, but now that I'm looking at doing some more portrait type work, I'm considering getting a flashgun. What does everyone recommend? My understanding is that only i-TTL strobes are compatible, even shooting manual? The only i-TTL models I've seen in store are Nikon (ie SB-800, SB-80DX) - are these my only option? I've got a bit of experience shooting strobes manual (non-TTL) underwater, using guide numbers - I imagine the same sort of thing works on land?

Many thanks,

Brad

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Hey Brad,

Some info here and here...

Sigma makes 2 that work with i-TTL. The lower model can't be used wirelessly though. The top model compares to the sb800 you can pick it up for around $200 US. I wish I would have known before I got my sb 600 that it was an option. Sad

Teddy

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

Thanks Jules - I'll use the search function next time... Rolleyes

Teddy - $200US is pretty sweet, where can you get it at that price?

Cheers,

Brad

- Albert Einstein

Brad you can get it at B&H Photo Here is a link to it.

Teddy

Nikon d70

Thanks mate - the SB600 is cheaper, I didn't realise that. You said you've got an SB-600 - how do you find it? I had a quick search around the net this morning and it seemed that majority of people prefered the Nikon to the Sigma?

Cheers,

Brad

- Albert Einstein

I like the 600 it is a lot more powerful than the on board flash. Part of me wishes I had jumped up to the 800 though, but that could just be lust for something better.

Teddy

Nikon d70

Well I've decided to go for the Nikon, so now it's just a qestion of 800 vs 600. Is the SB-800 really worth the extra $$? Or would I better off with a 600, and putting the rest into maybe some studio lighting later on?

Cheers,

Brad

- Albert Einstein

I have both the SB800 and SB600. I find that SB800 really does have more power and therefore reach. It also ends up being a much better master with on board logic to control additional slaves if you add to your lighting system.

When I used the SB800 and SB600 as remotes in commander mode (45 degrees to center), I could actually see where the SB800 had a slight edge on the shadows.

If you look around you can pick up the SB800 for about $100 more than the SB600.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09