Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DSLR camera strap

Since buying my first DSLR about 18 months ago I've been using the neck strap which was supplied with the camera. I find that after carrying 1.2kg around for a day my neck is sore and aches. I've put up with it long enough and would be grateful for any recommendations/suggestions which other DSLR users could make as regards a more comfortable solution for neck or sling type straps.

What about if instead of carrying it around your neck, you carried it over one shoulder?

Regards.

Phil.

(Jun 26, 2014, 16:47)Phil J Wrote:  What about if instead of carrying it around your neck, you carried it over one shoulder?

Regards.

Phil.

That wouldn't leave both hands free. One hand would have to be holding the strap to prevent it slipping off the shoulder.
I've been reading a lot of good reviews for padded sling straps and feel that may be the answer, but can't decide which to go for. Recommendations, anyone?

Across your shoulder, over your chest, diagonally. Ed.

To each his own!

And, perhaps, this. Missed it above!! Ed.

http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-strapma...9xPWJ1ZGR5

To each his own!

(Jun 27, 2014, 02:06)EdMak Wrote:  Across your shoulder, over your chest, diagonally. Ed.

Thanks, I've tried that but the OE strap is a bit on the short side, resulting in the camera almost being in my armpit and the strap digs into the side of my neck.

(Jun 27, 2014, 02:06)EdMak Wrote:  Across your shoulder, over your chest, diagonally. Ed.

That's what I meant to say Ed.

Cheers.

Phil.

(Jun 27, 2014, 02:13)EdMak Wrote:  And, perhaps, this. Missed it above!! Ed.

I had seen that and giving it some thought, seeing as most of the sling type of straps use a similar idea and it's a much cheaper option.
What I like about most of the sling types is that the strap doesn't move, the padding remains on the shoulder and the camera slides up and down the strap, or so the manufacturers would have you believe. I could do with someone who's used one confirming whether this is true in practice.

I carry my camera in an ordinary weatherproof shoulder bag (not a special camera bag), along with one or two extra lenses in pouches, and other bits of stuff. I wear the bag's shoulder strap diagonally - i.e. strap over right shoulder, bag on left hand side. The camera can be quickly accessed from the bag, and is fitted with a home-made wide wrist strap, for comfortable and secure carrying while it is in use.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jun 27, 2014, 04:35)MrB Wrote:  I carry my camera in an ordinary weatherproof shoulder bag (not a special camera bag), along with one or two extra lenses in pouches, and other bits of stuff. I wear the bag's shoulder strap diagonally - i.e. strap over right shoulder, bag on left hand side. The camera can be quickly accessed from the bag, and is fitted with a home-made wide wrist strap, for comfortable and secure carrying while it is in use.

Cheers.
Philip

I like the sound of that idea, Philip. I'm going to see if I can track down a suitable bag. Thanks for that.

Still using a neck strap bought over 30 years ago! Ed.

To each his own!

(Jun 27, 2014, 05:04)EdMak Wrote:  Still using a neck strap bought over 30 years ago! Ed.

A but Ed the quality of things isn't what it used to be. I'd recon that a new one wouldn't last 30 months!!

Regards.

Phil.

(Jun 27, 2014, 04:35)MrB Wrote:  I carry my camera in an ordinary weatherproof shoulder bag (not a special camera bag), along with one or two extra lenses in pouches, and other bits of stuff. I wear the bag's shoulder strap diagonally - i.e. strap over right shoulder, bag on left hand side. The camera can be quickly accessed from the bag, and is fitted with a home-made wide wrist strap, for comfortable and secure carrying while it is in use.

Cheers.
Philip

Now there's thought....thanks, Philip...cheers! Jeff

(Jun 27, 2014, 04:29)Paul Evans Wrote:  
(Jun 27, 2014, 02:13)EdMak Wrote:  And, perhaps, this. Missed it above!! Ed.

I had seen that and giving it some thought, seeing as most of the sling type of straps use a similar idea and it's a much cheaper option.
What I like about most of the sling types is that the strap doesn't move, the padding remains on the shoulder and the camera slides up and down the strap, or so the manufacturers would have you believe. I could do with someone who's used one confirming whether this is true in practice.

I have a strap by Blackrapid and it works very well. Takes all the pressure off my neck and is very convenient. I have a quick release plate on my camera from Manfrotto which has a ring to fit the Blackrapid, so I can go from the strap to a tripod in quick order. There are other similar products on the market.

By the way welcome to the forum Harold - Nice to have you here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I'm a fan of the neck strap, I think it's the most comfortable position that doesn't require you to constantly adjust your camera. The only thing that bothers me in this position is that I always get tanned around the strap... So far, every solution that I found seems to be less comfortable than this.

Have you checked out OpTech. I have used their straps for years and they last forever. They are designed to take the weight off the camera and they work. I even have one on my camera bag. Hope this helps.

Recently went to "Exposure Show " in Toronto, where I bought a "cotton carrier". Made by a photographer, and it works well for me. I was after a "holster" type of system, it hangs on your hip (either your belt or or carrier belt) and it locks in. You cannot remove camera unless you turn it 90 degrees and lift. I had great luck with army surplus for bags, vests, coats, boots, wind pants and the like. I am fairly frugal and try not to spend a fortune on hiking. (kiss system) I do alot of walking in the woods, getting the weight equal, off your neck, and hands free are very important. Feel free to contact me if you wish.

(Jun 30, 2014, 06:34)Photoman50 Wrote:  Have you checked out OpTech. I have used their straps for years and they last forever. They are designed to take the weight off the camera and they work. I even have one on my camera bag. Hope this helps.

That's the make I use, just had a look, good as new. The fact they are still around tells a story. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jun 27, 2014, 07:52)Phil J Wrote:  
(Jun 27, 2014, 05:04)EdMak Wrote:  Still using a neck strap bought over 30 years ago! Ed.

A but Ed the quality of things isn't what it used to be. I'd recon that a new one wouldn't last 30 months!!

Regards.

Phil.
Nikon brand strap's do.
I sold a Nikon FE2 and a Nikon FA. That's somewhat old.
Both had their original straps.
Last I heard their still going strong.

(Jun 26, 2014, 13:28)Paul Evans Wrote:  Since buying my first DSLR about 18 months ago I've been using the neck strap which was supplied with the camera. I find that after carrying 1.2kg around for a day my neck is sore and aches. I've put up with it long enough and would be grateful for any recommendations/suggestions which other DSLR users could make as regards a more comfortable solution for neck or sling type straps.

When I used a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 topped off with a Nikon SB800 flash.
I wanted to carry the camera across my body and a stock strap is to short for that.
OP/Tech sells straps where you can buy Longer straps. Perfect.
But I never liked quick release clips. Never trusted them.
So I purchased another Nikon strap and tell your dealer you need two extra of those plastic pieces that enable you to keep in place the strap ends.
2 80lb test oval chain links. Make sure you have the store you buy the chain links from cuts it up so you have 2 free links.
Cut the straps off the newly purchased Nikon strap and put them together with your the strap that came with the camera.
Now you have nice long strap with no quick release devices.
Now you have a strap long enough to carry the camera across your chest and keep both hands free. Or in crowded places you can keep one hand on the camera to protect it hoards of people. Seaworld, Disney, Bush Gardens, etc.
Now it's easier to use the john by swing the camera behind your back.
When walking around the camera will now you'll be able to get off shots one handed.

Later I'll fire up my other computer post a few pictures.

(Jun 26, 2014, 13:28)Paul Evans Wrote:  Since buying my first DSLR about 18 months ago I've been using the neck strap which was supplied with the camera. I find that after carrying 1.2kg around for a day my neck is sore and aches. I've put up with it long enough and would be grateful for any recommendations/suggestions which other DSLR users could make as regards a more comfortable solution for neck or sling type straps.

You need a sling strap. I bought one of these and never looked back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Rapid-Came...51b3e05be6

I attach mine to the D ring rather than the tripod socket.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

They do a men's version of this as well. I find this great to use and it means it has the Tripod mount screw on all the time.Wink

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003O...UTF8&psc=1

Without a doubt the Black Rapid RS-Sport Strap is hard to beat.

Like Photoman50, I too use Optech for my DSLR and Matin for my compact. Dunno about other brands but I dislike Canon straps: they are scratchy on the neck; too short for me; and I don't want to be a walking advert.

After several wasted purchases I only use neoprene straps as they are significantly more comfortable, softer, no scratchy edges and psychological maybe, but the camera also seems lighter, even after a whole day.

Also I only buy ones that have quick release clips on them - it allows removing the main section and having a small hand strap ideal for when using a tripod or when hand held. With Optech you can also buy extra clip on ends (extensions.) I have one strap, with 2 extra extensions. The extensions are fitted to the dslr body, spare body, and a home made long lens fitting. Strap is interchangeable in seconds. Also made a simple webbing loop for my wrist when working hand held. Really cuts down the carry around clutter. Could post some photos of mods if interested.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post