Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DSLR camera strap

Go on Dave, post the pics. let's see what you're talking about.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hi Phil,
As requested, this shows the zoom lens straps. Those who have this sigma lens know ti comes with a strap like this (but it is an extra strap to carry, and has uncomfortable webbing on the neck.) They might also see I have cut down the tripod mount ring and tounded all sharp corners. Also shows DIY neoprene lens protector on the hood - cut from old laptop bag and fixed with elastic band Smile

and just the strap part. Got cheapest Optech extensions, and manfrotto pl200 for the screw fitting from ebay. Rest I had. The plate is 1.5 or 2mm stainless steel.

Side view (apologies for focus) shows 1mm solid rubber which also keeps screw captive.

Got an unexpected bonus - I rotate the tripod ring to about 8 o'clock when using hand-held to keep out of the way. When used with this strap it results in the camera and lens laying almost flat across the body - just make sure you put belt buckles to the side!

The hand loop was easy - just a spare bit of webbing.

Just fit on extensions before clipping together for very safe hand strap.

Just in case you think I'm a bit obsessive about this, I used to be a land surveyor lugging stuff over the countryside. I pretty quickly got into sorting out the minimalist options to reduce weight and clutter (for me) - and yes, I did drop something valuable once Sad

once again, preview doesn't show uploaded images so hope they are there!

Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

I do a lot of walking with various lenses at different times - the camera + lens can be very heavy (Nikon D800 + Sigma 120-400, eg). I use a Tamrac strap - sometimes over the shoulder and sometimes round my neck. It's elasticated and extremely comfortable and the strap 'gives' without tugging. Bought for £12 on Ebay. Best bit of kit I ever invested in. It also has two 'pockets' for cards or small batteries, etc.

(Jul 10, 2014, 14:54)dave1712 Wrote:  Hi Phil,
As requested, this shows the zoom lens straps. Those who have this sigma lens know ti comes with a strap like this (but it is an extra strap to carry, and has uncomfortable webbing on the neck.) They might also see I have cut down the tripod mount ring and tounded all sharp corners. Also shows DIY neoprene lens protector on the hood - cut from old laptop bag and fixed with elastic band Smile

and just the strap part. Got cheapest Optech extensions, and manfrotto pl200 for the screw fitting from ebay. Rest I had. The plate is 1.5 or 2mm stainless steel.

Side view (apologies for focus) shows 1mm solid rubber which also keeps screw captive.

Got an unexpected bonus - I rotate the tripod ring to about 8 o'clock when using hand-held to keep out of the way. When used with this strap it results in the camera and lens laying almost flat across the body - just make sure you put belt buckles to the side!

The hand loop was easy - just a spare bit of webbing.

Just fit on extensions before clipping together for very safe hand strap.

Just in case you think I'm a bit obsessive about this, I used to be a land surveyor lugging stuff over the countryside. I pretty quickly got into sorting out the minimalist options to reduce weight and clutter (for me) - and yes, I did drop something valuable once Sad

once again, preview doesn't show uploaded images so hope they are there!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for putting those pics up. It's now much easier to understand what your solution was.

Regards.

Phil.

(Jun 27, 2014, 04:29)Paul Evans Wrote:  
(Jun 27, 2014, 02:13)EdMak Wrote:  And, perhaps, this. Missed it above!! Ed.

http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-strapma...9xPWJ1ZGR5

I had seen that and giving it some thought, seeing as most of the sling type of straps use a similar idea and it's a much cheaper option.
What I like about most of the sling types is that the strap doesn't move, the padding remains on the shoulder and the camera slides up and down the strap, or so the manufacturers would have you believe. I could do with someone who's used one confirming whether this is true in practice.

I might suggest a Black Rapid shoulder strap. I just bought one for my Nikon D7000 ( a heavier camera ) and it does exactly what the advert says. Once I put it on, across my shoulder, the strap holds fast, while I can move my camera freely and quickly for those special shots. They are available for men and women. I sound like a sales rep, and i'm not, It's just that I finally found something that works and I just like mine...

(Jul 3, 2014, 10:33)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  
(Jun 26, 2014, 13:28)Paul Evans Wrote:  Since buying my first DSLR about 18 months ago I've been using the neck strap which was supplied with the camera. I find that after carrying 1.2kg around for a day my neck is sore and aches. I've put up with it long enough and would be grateful for any recommendations/suggestions which other DSLR users could make as regards a more comfortable solution for neck or sling type straps.

You need a sling strap. I bought one of these and never looked back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Rapid-Came...51b3e05be6

I attach mine to the D ring rather than the tripod socket.

I use a 'hong kong' rip-off of the dual Black Rapid. I use the tripod mountings and have never had a problem. But I use pro-level bodies. Metal, not plastic.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Jun 26, 2014, 13:28)Paul Evans Wrote:  Since buying my first DSLR about 18 months ago I've been using the neck strap which was supplied with the camera. I find that after carrying 1.2kg around for a day my neck is sore and aches. I've put up with it long enough and would be grateful for any recommendations/suggestions which other DSLR users could make as regards a more comfortable solution for neck or sling type straps.
Hi Paul, I always use a small camera bag with a long shoulder strap as to allow it to go over my head and sit under my arm.
I don't like the camera straps as they advertise to all what make and model camera you have, also it makes it much easier to snatch by the run by thief.
I also "in certain back street locations" stick a small piece of black tape over the 5D badge on the front of the camera.
Hope this helps best regards Steve.

I use Blackrapid straps. The wrist one is for a mirrorless camera I also have.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/cargo

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/wrist-strap

Hi Paul, I have trouble with my neck and shoulder and found carrying my camera around on my original neck strap a real problem for me.

I went on ebay about a year ago and found this strap which has transformed my days out with the camera. No more pain in the neck or shoulders. Long enough to be worn across the body or just on the neck. The Neoprene gives and moves with you. This is the link to one on sale at the moment. Not sure if the link will work after being copied but you could type it in to see the strap.

Hope you find something soon.
yorky
Weight Reducing Neoprene Comfort Camera Strap, Pro Quality, Universal Fit http://r.ebay.com/ZcMrux

(Jul 17, 2014, 12:46)marcandsebe Wrote:  [quote='Paul Evans' pid='95865' dateline='1403810918']
Since buying my first DSLR about 18 months ago I've been using the neck strap which was supplied with the camera. I find that after carrying 1.2kg around for a day my neck is sore and aches. I've put up with it long enough and would be grateful for any recommendations/suggestions which other DSLR users could make as regards a more comfortable solution for neck or sling type straps.

I use Blackrapid straps. The wrist one is for a mirrorless camera I also have.

Many pros use the Blackrapid straps and there is a review for the cargo below.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/cargo

http://youtu.be/QEefNpztw7c

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/wrist-strap

http://youtu.be/rH39KCfQUgA

(Jul 3, 2014, 10:33)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  

You need a sling strap. I bought one of these and never looked back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Rapid-Came...51b3e05be6

I attach mine to the D ring rather than the tripod socket.
+1 for the Black Rapid, I've used mine for 3 years hiking around the woods and whatnot with some pretty heavy camera/lens combinations with no mishaps, just make sure the carabiner lock is screwed up tight after you attach it, I also moisten the rubber side of the circular rapid attachment before fastening, I have heard it makes for a better contact.
I don't like the feeling of my equipment bouncing up and down against my chest as I hike around as with a regular camera strap
The cotton carrier is something I definitely want to look into though, I believe they have a chest attachment as well as a hip style holster attachment

(Jul 9, 2014, 14:03)dave1712 Wrote:  Like Photoman50, I too use Optech for my DSLR and Matin for my compact. Dunno about other brands but I dislike Canon straps: they are scratchy on the neck; too short for me; and I don't want to be a walking advert.

After several wasted purchases I only use neoprene straps as they are significantly more comfortable, softer, no scratchy edges and psychological maybe, but the camera also seems lighter, even after a whole day.

Also I only buy ones that have quick release clips on them - it allows removing the main section and having a small hand strap ideal for when using a tripod or when hand held. With Optech you can also buy extra clip on ends (extensions.) I have one strap, with 2 extra extensions. The extensions are fitted to the dslr body, spare body, and a home made long lens fitting. Strap is interchangeable in seconds. Also made a simple webbing loop for my wrist when working hand held. Really cuts down the carry around clutter. Could post some photos of mods if interested.

Hi Dave
Would be grateful to see some photos of these. I have one of Canons scratchy straps at the moment and find I have a sore neck after a day of photographing.

Regards
Snaphappy

Hi Snaphappy,

My original reply was posted here (took me a while to find it Wink )
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...?pid=97044

having read the thread previously the common responses all seem to favour - as I do - the neoprene straps for comfort. It just a question of choice and style. I chose the Optech because they are very well made, and for me, most importantly have quick release buckles, and to buy extra 'ends' is easy. Another benefit of the Optech (and I'm sure others) is that the QR buckles are 'opposed' in that when the neoprene bit is unclipped the bits on the camera can be clipped together making a simple hand strap (or you can add a home made loop as I have done.)

It also meant that I could buy spare set of ends and make up my own strap for connecting to a long zoom tripod bracket which is not only more comfortable to carry but also hangs the camera+ lens from the tripod bracket not the camera body.

This mix 'n match cuts the clutter of straps being carried; hanging down from a tripod etc. I have since modified a Manfrotto tripod QR so now I can carry the camera+long lens comfortably, and still fit to the monopod in seconds.

If you want to do similar its fairly easy on the top of the fitting but the the bottom ideally needs to be milled 0.5mm to leave room for the strap.

Hope this helps

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post