Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DSLR video

Right now I shoot some film, but I'm looking at broadening my services for clients who don't appreciate film / can't afford the lab fees. Last time I paid attention, the best cameras for that were the Canon 5D Mk II for full-frame or 7D for crop body. Are those still the go-to cameras for video? Or something else? Is Nikon doing anything interesting? Thanks

Hey ICburns, I think the new Nikon are really pushing their video capture with the new D4 and D800 although they have only just been announced...

The Nikon D7000 also does 1080P and does a one up on Canon by allowing autofocus during movie shooting, although I'm not sure how well that works in practice.

The 5D2 successor is being announced very soon so I'd at least wait for that. Nikon has caught up videowise so their newer and future offerings are also on the table. Most people I've seen are using either a 5D2 or a 7D depending on whether you need the crop factor.

Good information, thanks. I have heard the rumors of the 5D Mk III / 5DX / whatever, so I'll definitely wait to see what's going on there.

Related question: I've seen that Technicolor CineStyle profile, it SOUNDS pretty good, but does anybody have experience with it? How much better is it vs shooting with a normal picture style? I've shot log C on an Arri Alexa and it was pretty great, so I'm interested in doing something similar with the DSLR, but only if it's worth the extra LUT hassle in post.

In that case get a 7D if you care about autofocus points. You could save some money and get a T31 or 2i, since it's the same sensor. The 5D Mark 2 is a bit more complicated but with the bigger sensor the video may look just that bit nicer.
7Ds and Rebels have been used in music videos mostly while the 5D in movies and TV shows.

(Feb 29, 2012, 09:39)admiralsfan Wrote:  In that case get a 7D if you care about autofocus points. You could save some money and get a T31 or 2i, since it's the same sensor. The 5D Mark 2 is a bit more complicated but with the bigger sensor the video may look just that bit nicer.
7Ds and Rebels have been used in music videos mostly while the 5D in movies and TV shows.

I’m not interested in autofocus points. I've been looking at footage online, and I don't think any of the Rabals really cut it. Really noisy in the shadows. I'm liking the 5D stuff though.

Me neither. I just hear a lot of BSing about it. I suppose it can have its benefits depending on the shoot. Manual all the way!

Someone told me to rent a RED but I'm not interested in RED, it looks gross and pastel-y to me. Also, to rent a RED and a good set of lenses and all the "accessories" to make it functional would put it right back up there with film costs for the client. I'm hoping to just buy something that'll work for the next few years.

This is a beautiful movie made from the latest 5D3:

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/5dmk3/s....html?high

Otherwise the Panasonic GH2 is well worthy of consideration.

Canon stuff.

Thanks for that link. Fantastic little movie. I'll look more into the GH2.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post