Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DSLR w theses specs: 2.5" Hi Res LCD, SD, small / light, under $750us

Hi - I am new to Shuttertalk.

I am in the market for a SLR DigiCam with these specs:
2.5" LCD with high # of pixels.
SD storage
Small light camera that my wife can use.
Not expensive ...

We are doing Interoral and Extraoral Dental Photagraphy.
We need to be able to use a 100mm Macro lens with a Ring Flash and manual focus the camera.
It must employ TTL to conrtol the ring flash.

The only camera that I have found that meets the specs is the Pentax istDL or istDS2.
Anyone that uses the Pental istDX - does the Pentax istD series do TTL with a ring flash - manual focus?
I am told that the Nikon D50 and D70 cannot do TTL with the ring flash.
I know that alot of people are going to say that the D50/70 does TTL ... but this is specifically with the ring flash !!

Thanks
Cal

Hi Cal, and welcome.

I don't think there are many DSLRs that use SD storage, so you've pretty much ruled out everything except the *ist D's and the D50...

And since you've also got the pre-requisite for TTL w/ring flash, then I think you've answered the question for yourself!

Any reason for the SD storage limitation?

I just do not know for sure that the Pentax does TTL with the ring flash ...

The SD issue is well I, uh, well, I could go another way - but I have four SD cards: 2gb, 1gb and two 128s becuase my wife and I use Treo 650s. It would be nice to stick with only needing to buy one kind of storage.

Really, it is the one spec I would change if I had to - if the camera did TTL correctly.

Thanks !

Cal Wrote:I just do not know for sure that the Pentax does TTL with the ring flash ...

The SD issue is well I, uh, well, I could go another way - but I have four SD cards: 2gb, 1gb and two 128s becuase my wife and I use Treo 650s. It would be nice to stick with only needing to buy one kind of storage.

Really, it is the one spec I would change if I had to - if the camera did TTL correctly.

Thanks !
Welcome to Shuttertalk Cal. You might have deal with CF cards when you buy the right camera. SD is more expensive anyway. Have you checked out Canon?

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

As far as the current Pentax range is concerned, the DL does not do TTL, only PTTL which would restrict you to Pentax only flash if you want TTL exposure. The DS and DS2 both do ordinary TTL so would work with any TTL flash. None of these have a sync cord socket, all are hot shoe only, but with a sync/cord to shoe adapter both the DS and DS2 should work with any ringflash including TTL. The DL also has a pentamirror instead of pentaprism so the viewfinder is less bright which could be an issue when using manual focus. All three use SD cards and both the DL and DS2 have the large LCD screen. The one most suited to your requirements at the moment is the DS2, but it's worth waiting until next month and considering the new Samsung DSLR, the GX-1S. This is being launched as the first camera in the Pentax/Samsung collaboration and is actually simply a rebadged Pentax DS2. It has the size of screen you want, takes Pentax K-mount lenses and will possibly be less expensive under the Samsung name. Full details are available here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/060116...nggx1s.asp

Jan

Hehe Jan, I was going to post about the rebadged Samsung camera... pretty dodgy if you ask me. I wonder why people wouldn't just buy Pentax if they getting a rebadged product? I know I would...

And their German "advanced Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenon" lenses are just rebadged consumer Pentax lenses as well... Big Grin

Well it seems everyone's expecting the rebadged Samsung and its lenses to be cheaper than the Pentax equivalent, so on that basis buying the ones with the Pentax label will cost more just for the name....the equipment concerned is identical!

There's a belief that the Samsung products will all be at the entry level (a la DS/DL), but when it comes to the replacement for the D (still the best of the range despite being the oldest), that will be aimed at advanced amateurs/semi-pros and will be labelled Pentax, with no Samsung equivalent. The Pentax lenses beyond consumer level and non-DA will also, I believe , remain Pentax. The lenses announced with the Samsung body do appear to be rebadged Pentaxes, but one can only assume they lack the Pentax SMC coating?

Possibly the mid level cameras will be sold as both Pentax and Samsung with decisions about badging being based on the specific markets they're selling in.

I personally wouldn't buy one of these Samsungs, but then I wouldn't buy a DL, DS or DS2 either....If any of those were under consideration then I'd certainly consider the Samsung too as it makes no real sense to pay extra for a different badge.Smile (If it did we'd all be buying Canon Big Grin).

Jan

There's been a leak via a Croatian site of the other Samsung DSLR, the GX 1L, which, of course is the Pentax *istDL with a Samsung badge. Details (in Croatian) plus specs and pics of both new Samsungs here:

http://www.hrphotocontest.com/index.php?...r=1&id=438

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post