Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dance Peformance Photography

What would be the best settings to shoot dance on stage in a theater? I would be unable to use flash because it can disorient and/or distract the dancers (i dont want to responsible for their fall into the orchestra pit). Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would think that the fastest speed possible as the lighting will not likely be very good. Hopefully you are using an slr. What camera are you using? I need to know that before I can say anything more.
BTW, welcome to Shuttertalk. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

What camera are you using? Generally you want to open the lens as wide as you can, and use a fairly fast film speed. Tripods can help if you can get them in, but aren't mandatory.

Cheers,

Brad

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

- Albert Einstein

Hey there... just in general, you want to try to use the fastest lens possible, use a wide aperture, and highest acceptable ISO sensitivity setting. Faster shutter speeds may be needed to capture action, otherwise you might get blurring.

Depending on how far you are to the stage, you might need a zoom as well...

*waits for Christian to come back*

The lighting on the stage is usually pretty good even though the surroundings are dark. You can usually get away with 1/30th of a second or so with a wide open lens (at a fast setting). I got some pretty good (by my standards anyway) shjots when my daughter was performing in a childrens' theater group.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post