Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dark Bridge

Ok, here's another one for you post-processing whizzes. The bridge is obviously too dark -- it would have been nice to see some detail on it. Couple of questions:

Should I have exposed for the bridge? Would that have blown out the city/water/sky in the background?

Anyway, can selective post processing fix this, perhaps?

[Image: DSCF1888.jpg]

Well, the pic lacks the latitude required to really improve it, and the file is obviously very compressed and reduced.
Working with what I have, I did manage some improvement, but it bloated the file to 300k, so I cant post it here! :/

Cave canem

Shadow/highlight tool once again and Save for web Rufus. Wink

[Image: 82_DSCF1888.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Petographer Wrote:Shadow/highlight tool once again and Save for web Rufus. Wink

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:Should I have exposed for the bridge? Would that have blown out the city/water/sky in the background?

You should try to expose for something middle gray - that's what your camera is looking for. In this case, spot metering the buildings in the distance might have been the best bet.

If you had a tripod, you could try two exposures - one for the sky so that the clouds didn't blow out, and another for the buildings (or even the bridge), and then blend them in PS. And even if you didn't have a tripod, you could shoot RAW and get as good an exposure as possible without blowing the highlights, then make two conversions with different exposure comp settings.

I agree with Slej on that last one. For landscapes like this where the subject and background are obviously unable to be taken in one exposure, take two (or more) pics and merge em.

You'll get a better exposed shot, the trick will be if you're happy with knowing it's a fake.
heheh... it's not a very complicated trick Smile

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

slejhamer Wrote:
Petographer Wrote:Shadow/highlight tool once again and Save for web Rufus. Wink

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Save 4 web!

Blimey, it's rather good innit? Big Grin

Cave canem

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 14:02
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 13:55
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 13:52