Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dark Tones in Digital

Film is sill a clear winner in terms of handling black and darker although digital is somehow improving in this aspect. While digital noise is still not at par, it's definitely a little better than a decade ago.

If you would assess the performance of digital in terms of handling darker tones, how would you rate it?

Never seen it as a problem, although I do not take a lot of pics. Ed.

Have you a name rather than call you Shuttercloud?

To each his own!

Lacking experience so don't really understand. All I can add is that digital seems pretty effective to me. I don't know if these images are appropriate here, but how do the tones rate in this shot in Arundel Cathedral?

Colour:

Mono Conversion:

The windows are over-exposed, but the dynamic range was huge - only window illumination inside, but bright midday sunshine outside. How would film perform in these circumstances?

[ Pentax K-5 II, 18-135 zoom at 18mm, f/5, 1/50s, -1 EV, ISO-800. Processed in PaintShop Pro X6 ]

Cheers.
Philip

(Sep 26, 2014, 12:14)MrB Wrote:  The windows are over-exposed, but the dynamic range was huge - only window illumination inside, but bright midday sunshine outside. How would film perform in these circumstances?

[ Pentax K-5 II, 18-135 zoom at 18mm, f/5, 1/50s, -1 EV, ISO-800. Processed in PaintShop Pro X6 ]

Cheers.
Philip

Nice shot Philip, I think now-a-days with all the new software and modern sensors, digital photography has better quality in every category. We have even more definition in our photographs that our eyes can see.

Daniel, thank you for your comment on the image.

It seems to me that your points about modern sensors are now true, at least almost certainly for the larger sensors, APS-C and bigger, and possibly even MFT - detail resolution and noise control are now very good indeed. Also concurring with you, the software that processes the sensor data (both in camera and on computer) is now very powerful, particularly in revealing tones and details that were present in the highlight and shadow areas of the actual scene.

Cheers.
Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post