Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Defective Memory Card

My Nikon D40 is refusing to accept my 4 gig memory card. I get a message saying the card is defective. The camera won't format the card either. \the computer still reads and writes on it. What causes this and can it be fixed?

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

If you have a laptop or a PC with a card reader - try to reformat the card using that device - it will be much more likely to work than via the very limited formatting capabilities of your camera. If that doesn't work - throw it away and get a new one - its broken.

I have a 4gb card that will not work in my Xti, works just fine on the computer and in my Pocket PC, and more surprisingly, when I got my 50D it works great in that too!

At least now memory cards are very reasonably priced, the first 32mb Compact flash card I bought cost me $180, now you can buy a pair of 8 GB cards for that!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post