Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did you ever break your camera? How much did the repair cost?

So, not long after I got my shiny new Nikon D7100, I was careless when picking up my backpack for just one second and I dropped it from about knee-height. Even though the body is made from magnesium, the short fall (on a wooden floor, no less) caused one of the plastic panels of the bottom of the camera to break, the locking mechanism on the lens was also broken, and (apparently, as the Nikon Service people told me), the "bayonette" (the metal ring on the camera that connects to the lens) was also damaged and needed recalibration.

All of this, although not much at first glance, cost me 270E, and more than two weeks after I took my camera into the shop I have yet to get it back.

While talking with some friends, I discovered I was less lucky - some of them had their cameras in much worse situations with little to no damage. So, did you ever break your camera? How? What was the damage and how much did the repairs cost?

That's awfully bad luck. It must have impacted at exactly the 'wrong' angle. Sorry that I'm unable to be helpful in this as, as yet, this hasn't happened to me. However, I did want to convey my sympathy for your photographic plight.

Regards.

Phil.

Don't be sorry, I would be glad not to be able to contribute to such a thread! I too think that the angle was just "right" for the maximum amount of damage in the situation...

The battery compartment broke off on the base of my TZ20 but a simple replacement cost was £50!!! (including return postage)
G3lcs

Just had a visit from friend, has Canon 5D, stopped working after about 10 shots, think about 3 years old, bottom line, from Canon, £800, new Circuit Board, etc, Won't be borrowing/trying any of his 3/4 Canons!! Ed.

To each his own!

(Jul 7, 2014, 10:51)EdMak Wrote:  Just had a visit from friend, has Canon 5D, stopped working after about 10 shots, think about 3 years old, bottom line, from Canon, £800, new Circuit Board, etc, Won't be borrowing/trying any of his 3/4 Canons!! Ed.

Ouch, that's even worse than my repair! Did he go through with it or did he just settle for his other 3 cameras? Smile

(Jul 7, 2014, 07:34)g3lcs Wrote:  The battery compartment broke off on the base of my TZ20 but a simple replacement cost was £50!!! (including return postage)
G3lcs

That's not too much, especially since they sent it back to you by post!

Friend had it repaired, no option really, cost over £3000 when bought, think that was body only. He has a lot of Canon, (Expensive) gear, he also takes excellent pics!! Ed.

To each his own!

(Jun 26, 2014, 03:56)kNox Wrote:  So, not long after I got my shiny new Nikon D7100, I was careless when picking up my backpack for just one second and I dropped it from about knee-height. Even though the body is made from magnesium, the short fall (on a wooden floor, no less) caused one of the plastic panels of the bottom of the camera to break, the locking mechanism on the lens was also broken, and (apparently, as the Nikon Service people told me), the "bayonette" (the metal ring on the camera that connects to the lens) was also damaged and needed recalibration.

All of this, although not much at first glance, cost me 270E, and more than two weeks after I took my camera into the shop I have yet to get it back.

While talking with some friends, I discovered I was less lucky - some of them had their cameras in much worse situations with little to no damage. So, did you ever break your camera? How? What was the damage and how much did the repairs cost?

I used to own a Fuji camera. The very morning I was leaving for the airport for a weekend of photography in Scotland the camera hit the door frame and the whole front lens fell apart. When I returned I left it into (what was then) Dixons and discovered it was 1 day within it's 3-year guarantee. Fixed for nowt. How jammy was that?

Remarkable really, surprised that you were covered by guarantee. Ed.

To each his own!

Gotta love those "no matter what" guarantees!

(Jun 26, 2014, 03:56)kNox Wrote:  So, not long after I got my shiny new Nikon D7100, I was careless when picking up my backpack for just one second and I dropped it from about knee-height. Even though the body is made from magnesium, the short fall (on a wooden floor, no less) caused one of the plastic panels of the bottom of the camera to break, the locking mechanism on the lens was also broken, and (apparently, as the Nikon Service people told me), the "bayonette" (the metal ring on the camera that connects to the lens) was also damaged and needed recalibration.

Knox: Where are you located? When did you purchase the D7100?
NikonUK has a 2 year FREE extended warranty if you follow the directions here:
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/servic....page?lang=
AND, it also gives you the opportunity to buy a 3rd year, which also makes the entire warranty 'no questions asked'.
Wish they had that program here in the States!

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

On holiday (just a couple of days) in Co. Cork the after-market quick-release strap on my D800 slipped it's lanyard buckle and the camera hit the ground at near terminal velocity. At first everything looked OK. It is a Nikon, after all. Then - a couple od shots later I realized with a sinking heart that every time I took a shot I was getting an ERROR message in the panel. The live view failed to lock the shutter open, too.

I sent it to the Nikon UK Repair Center. They assessed the damage and would have charged £450 to fix it. Luckily I had comprehensive insurance (costing about £100 two years ago when I bought the camera). It's been away just over two weeks but should be back within a few days.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post