Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Digital B&W

I'm a newbie so hello there. I have been wondering for quite a while about the B&W setting on my digital camera. Is there any benefit switching to B&W on the camera over using photoshop to convert a colour image to greyscale?

Hi Blurrr, welcome to Shuttertalk!

Not much benefit, apart from convenience (i.e. you don't have to post-process it on your PC).

The main arguments against using in-camera B/W is that the process is irreversible - you can always convert from colour to B/W, but not the other way round.

I've used camera's with B&W settings and I can get much better results shooting in color and then tweaking it in photoshop before desaturating.

Welcome to the forums, shoot in color and zap it in the PC .

The guys are right, Blurrr. There are at least three different ways to convert to B&W in photoshop, one of them being the channel mixer, and this one alone gives you virtually unlimited possibilities to tweak your picture.

If you wanted to do it in the camera, you'd have to buy filters to allow for some creativity - like you'd have to do with film. IMO there's no point in doing that with a digital cam.

Welcome to the forums!

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Canon is now incorporating a variety of B&W filter effects in their DSLRs, so the end result is more like that from film. However, in my opinion you'll still get better tonality with photoshop. Big Grin

I agree with all the other posts that converting to b/w in post-processing gives you more flexibility and control than using the camera in "b/w mode".

But... using the camera to take pics in b/w mode can be a useful tool to "preview" a scene when you are composing the photo.
Some scenes can be more difficult for your brain to visualise in b/w than others (especially when learning, as I am). This is where the b/w mode of your camera can be useful. Switch to b/w mode and snap off a few test pics and look at the result on the LCD screen, or if you are using a P&S then just look at the LCD preview, no need to take any photos at all. Not only does it show you how a b/w representation of the scene might look like, but because you still have the full-colour scene in front of you, it really helps your brain learn how to visualise in b/w better.
You might be suprised at the result, and it may cause you to re-compose your photo in a way you would not have done had you not seen the preview.
But then I would suggest switching back to colour when taking the "real" shot. Or even better, take a RAW pic to play with in photoshop.

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Ahhh some very interesting replies here. I hadn't thought of using the B&W option as a way of visualising the shot - this is a very valid point as what makes a good B&W photograph differs from a colour photo. I know Mike Johnston in his very good "Sunday Morning Photographer" opinion pieces wishes for a dedicated digital B&W camera. I am not sure why he wants a dedicated one - perhaps I should email him.

Dedicated? Why not just set your camera on B/W mode? I guess you need to have the discipline to keep it in that mode, I guess.

I think it would be an interesting experience / experiment - say doing it for whole week or maybe a month. Would really train your eye to see things in B/W...

Blurrr Wrote:Ahhh some very interesting replies here. I hadn't thought of using the B&W option as a way of visualising the shot - this is a very valid point as what makes a good B&W photograph differs from a colour photo. I know Mike Johnston in his very good "Sunday Morning Photographer" opinion pieces wishes for a dedicated digital B&W camera. I am not sure why he wants a dedicated one - perhaps I should email him.

Okay I have finally found out the reason for a dedicated B&W camera (while investigating another issue I was posting on). Sorry for the repeated post but it really should have gone here:

Found a good review of the discontinued Kodak DCS-760m:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/review...760m.shtml

Where the reviewer states:

"Without an anti aliasing filter and no Bayer color matrix, the resolution of a 6 mega pixel monochrome camera is astonishing. In monochrome, 6 mega pixels effectively does what it takes 12-24 mega pixels with a color matrix."

So that is the reason - a dedicated 6 mega pixel camera would require the equivalent 12-24 mega pixel colour camera. So taking this to its logical conclusion - a manufacturer could take a current 8 mega pixel CCD - strip off the anti aliasing filter and Bayer color matrix and make a software change and we could have a camera capable of up to 32 mega pixels! WOW – my 3.2 mega pixel Canon A75 has the capability of shooting up to 12 mega pixels in B&W. There must be a market for something like this.

Wow! Very interesting, Blurrr!

I want a 32 megapixel B/W camera! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Sep 28, 2014, 03:34