Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Digital Painting using 15,000 Layers

I thought of Toad when I saw this ...

At first glance, I thought it was a just a pleasant scene of a railway station, but when you look closer, it's an amazing digital painting consisting of over 15,000 (yes, fifteen thousand) layers! Wow!

http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/f..._damen.htm

Quote:Damen
This is my latest and most ambitious digital painting of a Chicago scene unveiled at Photoshop World in Miami on March 22, 2006.
It is a panorama of the Damen Station on the Blue Line of the Chicago Transit Authority.
Adobe Illustrator was used for generating the majority of the basic shapes as well as all the buildings in the Chicago skyline.
The rest was created in Photoshop.
• The image size is 40 inches by 120 inches.
• The flattened file weighs in at 1.7 Gigabytes.
• It took eleven months (close to 2,000 hours) to create.
• The painting is comprised of close to fifty individual Photoshop files.
• Taking a cumulative total of all the files, the overall image contains over 15,000 layers.
• Over 500 alpha channels were used for various effects.
• Over 250,000 paths make up the multitude of shapes throughout the scene.

that's just stunning!

My hero!!

Puts my 16 image (50+ layer) taxi shot ( http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5385 ) to shame - but the concept is basically the same.

I'm inspired!

Pretty amazing stuff. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Wow - I want to 'explore' the rest of the shot in detail...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

smarti77 Wrote:Wow - I want to 'explore' the rest of the shot in detail...
Yeah it's quite amazing actually.. just the attention to detail in bits such as rust and grime on the steel...

15000 ? i can see getting over 5 or 10 layers yet , but 15000 now thats work . But it is well worth it .

and your 50 layer taxi is stunning too Toad , now i think you need to take on the task of at least 1000 Big GrinWink.

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Wow! Some clever folk out there.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Amazing work, he definately has too much time on his hands!

It's a nice scene, but in my opinion isn't worth all of the time spent.
Is it somehow 'perfect' now?

1/250 of a second (and 3 minutes in photoshop) would satisfy me, so I could move on to the next shot.
Then I would come back months later, on a winter evening when the light was better.

These photoshop painters are talented and skilled, but a good single exposure gets the job done.
Not my cup of tea at all, unless they are being paid by the hour!

one word ... breathless ..

That's..amazing. I don't get exactly how he did it, but the basic idea.. Wow.

Like Keith, I can't really see the point...and I can't really understand: is it then a gigantic tessalation of shapes? I half expected it to be one of those things like a giant picture of the world from outer space all made from tiny pictures of 3rd-World childrens' faces, so am befuddled.
To me, it has all the resounding splat of someone who has spent 10 years making a model of the Empire State Building out of his own belly-button fluff(the right shade of blue too, I'd guess).
This is the type of thing the Morloks from H.G. Wells' "Time Machine" get up to to while away an eternity of trogloditic photophobia.
I've written a 5000-word poem about watching a plank warp.
Sorry.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Sep 28, 2014, 03:34