Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography Assignment #2

Hey all!

Thanks for all your entries into Assignment #1 - the shots were excellent! It's awesome to see the calibre of talent we have here. Anyway, the theme I've come up with for this fortnight's photography assignment is "Shadows". I thought it would be fun to see how creative we could get in using light and shadows...

Upload your photos into the gallery under the album "Assignment #2: Shadows". Have fun! Smile

Oh, and if you have any suggestions for future assignments, let me know! Smile

I've decided against posting this... I don't think it's what the assignment is about.

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

That was a shadow gd! I saw it last night but I was too tired to make a comment. It is a great shot, you should put it back in.

thanks J.. I've tried twice to upload it into the gallery folder and it hasn't worked either time despite saying "successful"... so I will put it here Smile

Looks like quite an old image gd, when was it taken? I remember when I went to NY to see Garth Brooks in concert in Central Park years ago they were one of the first things I noticed about the city.

I haven't heard much but I believe they are re-developing the site with a memorial and parks, do you (or anyone, Mitch maybe, you're almost a local!) know anything about what is going on?

well... it was taken July 11 1999. So yeah it's old. It was taken with a disposable camera.. so essentially it's not a digital photograph.. and I'm happy for it to be disqualified.... why was it taken with a disposable.. cos my original camera was stolen... *sigh*

so this is a scan. I sharpened it, to make it feel like a digi photo.

Nice shot... looks a bit grainy though, which is expected, if you've taken it with a disposable and scanned it Wink

can I call the grainy-ness an effect... for poignancy?

ST, can you place it in the assignment gallery for me... my previous attempts at acting all teckingologikal have failed.

Very nice, GD. I'm glad that you reposted this. The shadow is unmistakeable.

There is nothing wrong with a poignant image - or one that "might" have political overtones.

We are all too sensitive these days.

I can't remember if you use PhotoShop or not - if you do - there are a few tricks that you can do to remove some of the noise. If you want, I can take a bash at it.

I do and please do!.. I despeckled and unsharpened... basically I used everything I know Smile

Yay! I got it into the assignment gallery.... now I can be judged by my peers!

and while you're at it.. don't be afraid to check out my gallery. I've put in some that I really have liked and wouldnt mind feedback!

Hey ST... how long does this run for... I'm anxious to see if I get anything as part of a 3-way dead heat (we're all on 0 votes) Smile

Oh... I will be leaving it open indefinitely. I didn't intend it to be a "competition" as such - rather just setting a theme and seeing how creative people could get.

I will be starting a new assignment every fortnight.

ahhhhh... they're indefinite.. gotcha Smile I still don't win any exciting prizes?... y'see, I've started this photography thingo and am finding it's expensive... perhaps 5,000 dollars worth of lenses or something???? *just putting an idea out there* Big Grin

Haha. Sounds like a plan gd. Wink hehe.

Indefinite you say? Hmm. That means I might just be able to get an entry in. Wink

that's two votes for expensive prize for me Smile

I'm glad I submitted early.. usually I'm late on indefinite tasks!

Haha christmas is coming up everyone, I might do something special for shuttertalk... *puts thinking cap on*...

I have my submission. http://www.shuttertalk.com/gallery/displ...p?pos=-162
I tried taking the image at 100 iso but the shutter speed was so slow (15 seconds) that it blurred from the movement of the moon. It came out blurry but that seems to be the problem when I use the 2x teleconverter. Very very difficult to focus.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I took some of the eclipse, too, but they didn't turn out as well as previous attempts to 'shoot the moon'. Maybe I'll post one anyway...

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Hey Pet-o.... I love your pic of the blood red moon. (well browny red anyway). At reduced size, the blur isn't that noticable.

How's the site going by the way? Smile

The site is fine, thanks for asking. It's been hassle free. As far as he moon goes, I shot that and used a 2x Tamron teleconverter. I assume that the reason for the blur is because of that. I wonder if anyone can confirm that?

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Were you using a tripod? When I was attempting to take photos of the moon, I found it hard to keep steady while pointing the camera up at the moon. Smile

It could be the teleconverter - it gives you 2 or 3 stops less light...

Also I found that I couldn't trust the camera's AF - I had to manually set focus to infinity...

And despite all that, I got sucky photos Smile