Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Digital SLR Recommendations

I'm ready to purchase a new SLR and i know that lots has changed. I wanted to get as much imput as possible from anyone that knows anything or has any favorite brands. Please share all your information. Greatly appreciated.

Hi taplax.. Smile

Welcome to Shuttertalk!!

How much do you want to spend in your camera? What kind of photography do you like to take? I think if you give a bit more of information we would be able to help better.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

You can't go wrong with any offering by Nikon or Canon at any price range (although if you read dpreview - the differences are insurmountable). All SLRs by both companies are totally acceptable for 95% of all photographers If you have your selection narrowed to a few cameras, let us know and we can advise more knowledgeably..

a price limit is somewhere in the range of 1500 dollars i wouldnt really like to get into anything more than that and i know there is alot offered for less so any help is appreciated. please be specific with names

I have a Canon 400D and am very happy with it, have seen them advertised for as low as AUS$900, that leaves you with $600 to spend on a lens or two, and the choice of lens depends on whether you like landscape or portrait photography.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I think Pat has a good point when she thinks about leaving some money for lenses and accesories. Batteries, cards, flash and so on...

Canon 20d or 30d are also good cameras but a bit more expensive than the 400d. Canon 40d with a good lens for landscape and portrait photography is about 1500 dlls.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Pat has an excellent point about leaving some room for accessories, and Irma's right about getting a good flash with it. A good camera is a joy to use, but lighting and lenses is where the real magic happens.

The reality is that there's very little difference between cameras at any given price point. And not just the big brands, either, except that you may get an anti-shake sensor from Olympus, Sony, and Pentax. The reality is that a good basic camera coupled with a wireless flash or two will produce excellent results regardless of brand.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

When buying into a DSLR remember to consider that the body is a small part in the overall investment of a lifetime of photography. As mentioned by others, lenses are a very important part and will most likely cost you more than the body in time. Consider what you like to photograph. Do you like taking pictures of sports, animals, etc... Than make sure you can get a good range of telephoto lenses for the body you choose. If you like taking pictures of landscapes than consider the wide angle options available.

Ergonomics of the camera are very important too. How easy is the thing to use?

I shoot with Canon - so I would recommend the 400D or the 40D. Just don't buy the kit lens. However, Nikon and Olympus make some great cameras.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Sep 28, 2014, 03:34