Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dilemma

My home domestic boss (wife) has granted me the funds and permission to buy a new camera, a Canon 5D.

Now my dilemma, I've filled out the order form 3 times and haven't been able to submit it! I can't justify in my own head $3500 (USD) for this camera and a new lens!

I've never had problems spending money before!

Raging jealousy :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hey, just think how long a quality tool lasts..... There's the value straight away. BUY!!!!! Big Grin

Cave canem

Step aside EB, give me the funds and I will show you how quick it can be done!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Craig, I ran into this very same problem a short time ago. I ended up buying a new tv and finishing off my home theater system.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Just Do It Smile

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

All I can say is...

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2006-02-06...ipline.wav

You should be saying this:

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2006-02-06...e_mine.wav

Big Grin

oups, I have a lot of sympathy there!
And to tell you my honest opinion, I wouln't spend the money on a 5D right now...

but that's just my opinion Smile wouldn't spend it on anything else either, except some nice glass that's gonna stay with you for the rest of your life on ANY body. then keep the rest and still get the 5D in a few months, or even see what they learn from this first try and what improvements they come up with.

but again, just my humble, personal opinion....

uli

wulinka Wrote:oups, I have a lot of sympathy there!
And to tell you my honest opinion, I wouln't spend the money on a 5D right now...

but that's just my opinion Smile wouldn't spend it on anything else either, except some nice glass that's gonna stay with you for the rest of your life on ANY body. then keep the rest and still get the 5D in a few months, or even see what they learn from this first try and what improvements they come up with.

but again, just my humble, personal opinion....

uli
Glass is definately the answer - even though I just spent $ on a D200. Glass lasts forever - bodies need to be considered disposable because features change so fast. The 5D is an amazingly good body - but is it worth twice what a D200 is - answer is yes if you own good Canon glass - no if you do not.

The full frame is a good feature but it is a smoke screen - just being full frame is not a valid reason for buying this body - great noise reduction at high ISOs is a great reason. You need to see through the hype and look at what is important.

If I owned good Canon glass - I would need to look seriously at the 5D. But I also might play "wait and see" to see what is announced in the spring as the succesor to the 20D.

On the ohter hand, if the wife says "buy", better act now..

Craig - The 5D is a beautiful camera to use. I just find the images have a depth to them that are truely amazing.

I bought mine the day they were released in Australia and I have never regretted it - however, I can recoup the money through my wedding work.

Full frame was the reason I bought this camera. The 24-70 2.8 L lens was made for this body - they are such a wonderful combination.

Despite all this I would still wait for the upcoming announcement from Canon on thier 20D replacement.

Canon stuff.

I think the "wait till spring" comments have it... wait to see what's comming.... a 12mp 20d replacement might just snag me.

Yeahmate, wait on a month or 2; price should drop to this side of silly by then too....Chris'll maybe sell ya his if he gets a Mamiya(arf!)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by zanjoeh
Oct 30, 2009, 03:08