Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Does anyone know of a free software to convert RAW images?

Hello

I have started shooting in RAW and would like to know if there is an easy to process RAW images software available ? Am looking for something that is free initially to work my way around and once I adapt to it, I can go on to get a more sophisticated paid version.

Cheers
Samy

(Jun 6, 2013, 15:50)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

I have started shooting in RAW and would like to know if there is an easy to process RAW images software available ? Am looking for something that is free initially to work my way around and once I adapt to it, I can go on to get a more sophisticated paid version.

Cheers
Samy

I use Photoshop, but wanted a program to be able to demonstrate to other camera club members who don't have any adobe software. I downloaded Serif PhotoPlus starter edition and it immediately opened NEF raw from a Nikon D7100 (only out 2 months) The starter edition is free and seems to have most of the usability of Adobe, a upgrade to PhotoPlus is £56.95 if you like it. You can try it for nothing and see how you go. Look at serif.com

Cheers

Tony

Thanks a lot Tony. Exactly the piece of information I was looking for. I do not want to jump straight into Adobe tools yet. Somehow I have always dreaded the fancy Adobe tools which comes with 1000s of functions!

I would recommend Lightroom 4. It's free for the first month, if I remember correctly. It's also worth buying, at about 150$. It's just about the only piece of software you would need to organise, edit, watermark, print, or create html albums. And many other things. Smile

I agree. Working with Lightroom is next on my bucket list. I have always dreaded using Adobe tools for photography since they come with so many functions and I just get overwhelmed. Plus the lack of a good processing laptop forces me to use some cheaper lighter editing softwares for fast edits. But I think Photoshop / Lightroom are the next in line for me.

That's what put me off post-processing, albeit slightly. The programs are difficult to work with, especially if you're a beginner - you don't even know what you're supposed to be doing, let alone how!

(Jun 17, 2013, 02:23)kNox Wrote:  That's what put me off post-processing, albeit slightly. The programs are difficult to work with, especially if you're a beginner - you don't even know what you're supposed to be doing, let alone how!

try this site for photoshop tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoGavin/videos?view=0

Tony

Thank you, I'll check it out Smile

Yep, I highly recommend Lightroom. At first I am a photoshop guy. But when I had this client who wants her photo to be in this Pixel dimensione with this size limit I know I have to go Lightroom and have it done there. Did an auto fix of it then it an awesome image witha single click. Had to adjust few things like higlights and shadows but the image from the auto adjustment make it worth to learn. Bought the software after I got convinced and have a few images to retouch.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Try photoscape it has a raw converter also if you are using Nikon view nx2 is free on there download site and it has a raw converter

Samy, you don't say what brand of camera you are using, but all of the major brands supply RAW conversion and basic editing software on a CD with the camera. This software is also available to download from their websites at no cost.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

I realize this thread is rather old but you can download Raw Therapee. I use the Canon software myself but in the past I used this ... it is free and quite versatile.

Following on from that Doug. Nikon now have new software designed for Raw available for free download. Capture NX-D.
Mike.

(Jun 6, 2013, 15:50)samyshah Wrote:  Hello

Cheers
Samy

Hi Samy,

Try this link to several free photo enhancing programs...

http://www.lightstalking.com/free-photography-software

Pegger3DTongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Sabion
Jun 12, 2020, 03:35