Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dumb Nikon Lens Qs

While looking at the new super-zoom point & shoots, I came across some info on the newly announced but not yet available Nikon D60, which looks to me to be possibly the most feature-rich entry-level DSLR on the market today. (Well, soon, not today.) I like the small form factor and, most important to me, the dynamic range enhancement (which Nikon calls "Active D-Lighting" for no good reason.) Canon has this in the 40D, but not in the smaller models.

If I find that a p&s doesn't meet my needs, I may grab a D60 ... which means I'll need to think about lenses as the "kit" 18-55 ain't gonna cut the mustard for me.

I'm intrigued by the 18-200 VR lens as an "all in one," though it's awfully slow and probably best for outdoor, bright-light shooting. (Opinions?)

Which leads to my dumb questions:

1. What are the "good" Nikon lenses? You know, Canon has the "L" series; what are the better Nikon lenses called?
2. Is it true that all old Nikon film lenses work on their DSLRs, which no adapter mount required?
3. Which Nikon lenses offer the best value? I've read good things about their 50mm f/1.8, and their "micro" lens looks interesting. But, I'd like to keep it down to just a couple of gems, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch: I have the 18-200 VR and it never comes off my camera. If you are trying to simplify your photo life, this is a winner. It may not be the *best* lens that you can buy - but it makes up for any shortcomings with convenience and range. I love it.

I've a very soft spot for Nikon, as all my 35mm film kit was Nikon..ahh, I could throw that F4 at a wall and the wall would dent....
IMO, pretty much any prime is spot-on, though I am biased. None of this Canon-style starting about with "pro" glass(it should all be pro-glass after all).
Any 50mm will be excellent, particularly the f1.4...there's also(or was?) a "Noct-Nikkor" f1.2 at 58mm...actually there's a 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor(non-AI) if you're blessed enough to come across one: ideal for a "stock nifty-fifty" and for macro. Their wideangles were stunners, as I remember: the 35mm f1.4 a gem and the 28mm f2 another triple-yolker.
I reckon stick with primes...good quality and with that mount ensuring the chance of some good deals. You can get non-AI lenses converted to AI, I believe...I think...
...Toad will know: perhaps pm him?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

slejhamer Wrote:2. Is it true that all old Nikon film lenses work on their DSLRs, which no adapter mount required?
3. Which Nikon lenses offer the best value? I've read good things about their 50mm f/1.8, and their "micro" lens looks interesting. But, I'd like to keep it down to just a couple of gems, if possible,
The lenses mount but the auto focus of the D50 does not support non-AFS lenses. You have to use them in manual mode - this is absolutely unforgivable in my opinion and one reason why I would never buy a D50. I don't know about the D60. My other grip with the D50 (again I am not up on the D60) is that it doesn't support Commander mode on the flash. Nikon makes the best flashes in the industry and the built in wireless control (Commander mode) gives you a full off-camera lighting system using SB600 and SB800 flash units. I use it all the time in the field. Set your flash where you want it to light a scene, and then walk away and compose. Perfect exposure every time. But not supported on D40 and D50.

The 50mm 1.8 is a little gem. I don't own it myself but my son does and I have used it a few times in low light situations. Everybody speaks very highly of the F2.8 70-200 VR. The older 80-200 is also a jewel about half the price. I have the 12-24 and I use it quite a bit. Nikon doesn't have an L-like designation but they list their pro lenses as such on their website. I also habe the Tamron 90mm DI macro for Nikon mount which is one of the sharpest lenses I own. Zig uses his all the time. I also own a 24-85 AFS - but I have basically retired both it and my 80-200 now that I have the 18-200. I only use the 80-200 for low light fast action, and the 24-85 has gone to live with my F100.

Hey thanks guys; that's very helpful. Yes, it seems the D60 will also require AFS lenses. Zig I hear what you're saying about primes, but I want to simplify things a bit, so a zoom is probably going to be best for me. If I do go with Nikon, I'd think about the 18-200 zoom as the general purpose lens, and then maybe something like the 105mm VR for macros and portraits.

Toad, I don't know the Nikon lingo, but here's what the D60 specs say about the "Nikon Creative Lighting System":
Quote:Supported with built-in flash, SB-400, SB-800, and SB-600; Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-800 or SU-800 as Commander.
Does that mean the built-in flash can trigger other off-camera Nikon flashes, or does one need the SB/SU-800? The latter would be unfortunately expensive ... ah, more to consider.

re: the VR lens. i have a D40 with the 18mm-135mm VR lens. the vibration reduction makes up to a considerable degree for the relative slowness of the lens. see this shot i took on vacation in Siena Italy this summer, hand held with available light: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nfgusedauto...201671667/
having said that, i also should point out that the lens has a bit of pincushion to it. this can be taken out post processing using Nikon's Capture NX software; i've just starting using this and find that shooting raw and then doing post work in Capture NX is very reasonable, and Capture NX is lots cheaper than Photoshop CS3.
i have gone back to using my primes a lot; the Nikon D lenses don't autofocus on the D40 (and won't on the D60 either, i gather) but you do get some focus assistance from the camera. my oldest lens (a 24mm f2 AI-S Nikkor) won't even drive the metering, but i can bracket and look at the histogram display on the back for a quick exposure sanity check.
for zooms, you could consider the 18-135 paired with the 70-300; i plan to acquire the 70-300 later this year.

"nfg used auto parts" LOL, love the name! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the tips. More for me to think about.

Still not sure about this camera, or even if I "need" a DSLR anymore ... but it's good to have options. Smile

If you are going for the all in one P&S have a look at the Panasonic Lumix dmc fz 18
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/high-zoom/dmc.../index.htm
I have the fz5 and I miss the weight now my wife has it.
eb-k = black case. I think they do a silver one too.
360 grms weight, with battery I think.

28-504 in 35mm format. f2.8 at wide angle. + image stabilising.
I just wanted clearer shots when zoomed up on the pc. Maybe I should have had lessons.Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

it's an old racing joke: in the winners circle interview "all the parts on this race car are nfg". i adopted it as a "sponsor" after a miserable weekend at Nelson Ledges in Ohio quite a few years ago.
re the "need" for DSLRs: i resisted digital for a long time, but now i shoot all my color with it, and keep my old FM2 loaded with Plus X all the time. shooting digitally has caused me to shoot a great deal more because all it costs me is disk space.

on lens compatibility: the oldest Nikon lenses can all mount on the D40, D40x and D60,but require modification to mount on the other Nikon DSLRs as they don't have clearance for the pin that spins the autofocus on the D and G AF lenses. they don't meter couple with most (any?) of the Nikon DSLRs, as the aperture transmission for the older lenses depends on mechanisms that Nikon has abandoned (see photo of couplings on AI-S lens here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/nfgusedauto...278095657/). the metal projection engaged a metal pin on the old F, F2 and Nikkormats; it predates the AI-S lenses of the late 70s. the AI-S lenses added a small ridge projecting from the aperture ring, but retained the old metal projection so they worked on the older cameras. the subsequent AF lenses dropped the metal projection but retained the AI-S ridge. however, the G AF lenses and all the DX lenses drop the aperture ring entirely and depend on the body to control aperture through the electrical contacts.

Mitch: sounds like the D60 will do commander mode from your quote - but not being able to use anything but AFS lenses is a nasty limitation. It means you cannot auto focus on any 3rd party lenses or older Nikon lenses - and there are some jewels among them. In your position, I would move up one notch to the D80 and get the 18-200 VR and see how you like it - I think you will.

As per commander mode, a SB600 or SB800 is used as the "commander" but you can trigger whole banks of flashes remotely with that system and your Nikon will still expose it all perfectly. Its a fabulous system - the best flash system around IMO.

I totally agree with your desire to get back to basics. My normal rig that I use in the field now is my D200, 18-200 and SB800. It really does it all - everything it doesn;t do, I can handle with a bit of creativity.

NT73 Wrote:If you are going for the all in one P&S have a look at the Panasonic Lumix dmc fz 18
That one is definitely a competitor to the new Fuji S100FS I'm thinking about. The Panny has a better lens (faster and more reach) but the Fuji has some features I like and would find very useful.

Sadly, the all-in-one camera I really want doesn't yet exist. Maybe three or four more years. Right now a DSLR is still the most robust option, so I'm evaluating the "give ups" if I go with a p&s or a "bridge" camera like the Panny or Fuji. Heck, I'd probably get a Canon G9 today if it had a flip-out LCD and better highlight retention. That's still a valid alternative though, despite its shortcomings.

nfgusedautoparts Wrote:the G AF lenses and all the DX lenses drop the aperture ring entirely and depend on the body to control aperture through the electrical contacts.
Good info again; thanks. I'm sure some would view that as a disadvantage, but as a Canon EF owner, I'm already in the "we don't need no stinkin' aperture rings" camp. Big Grin

Toad Wrote:My normal rig that I use in the field now is my D200, 18-200 and SB800. It really does it all - everything it doesn;t do, I can handle with a bit of creativity.
Are you Ken Rockwell? Wink LOL, just kidding. He does gush over that lens though.

Agree with you about the Nikon flash system though. That's always been a Canon liability. Supposedly that new Fuji will work with Nikon flashes, but I don't yet know if it retains TTL metering. That could be very interesting ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post